Irish Terrier/fox Terrier Etc

Has anyone heard of anyone using dogs like this for bushing?

I'm not really sure what the original purpose of the Irish Terrier is to be honest, I was always under the impression that they're a bit on the big side for ground work? a bit too leggy? so if ground work is not their purpose then presumably bushing/ratting is? but you rarely hear of them being used....maybe because for all jobs there are better options out there?

And the fox terrier was presumably bred for working fox underground? but again has lost favour to better, more suited types?

I like the look of both dogs but I just wonder why you never hear of them being used. The only thing I can think is that they both have a reputation of being scrappers...not desirable in a dog that would be loose working amongst other dogs.

So, has anyone seen either of these working as bushers? and how did they do...compared to other terrier types?

As a busher a lot of dogs would be suitable. In my opinion it's not the most demanding of jobs. However the difference between good/excellent and usefull is certainly present.

My GF's chiuahua x JR is a nice addition to the pack, but is nowhere near as driven as a proper hunting dog as my Brittany.

If there is some hunting instinct left in the Irish/fox terriers they could be a nice dog to have around in a bushing pack. The fox terrier is still used above and below ground over here on the continent. I do know someone who used to work an airedale, but that's a decade ago.

Having an allrounder (as a good IT should have been when there was still proper dogs available) should be great to have around.

I'm not really sure what the original purpose of the Irish Terrier is to be honest, I was always under the impression that they're a bit on the big side for ground work? a bit too leggy? so if ground work is not their purpose then presumably bushing/ratting is? but you rarely hear of them being used....maybe because for all jobs there are better options out there?

And the fox terrier was presumably bred for working fox underground? but again has lost favour to better, more suited types?

I like the look of both dogs but I just wonder why you never hear of them being used. The only thing I can think is that they both have a reputation of being scrappers...not desirable in a dog that would be loose working amongst other dogs.

So, has anyone seen either of these working as bushers? and how did they do...compared to other terrier types?

The irish terrier has always intrested me. my old grandad used to tell me tales of a dog he had always catching pheasents etc how intelligent it was and so on. Now my old grandad could tell a good tale :whistling: so how true it really was i dont know. But as a busher a marking dog for ferreting retrieving shot game in the right hands i cant see why not. i cant put links up but if you type in Kaylee- a working irish terrier there is some info on them working in the usa. maybe of some intrest? :thumbs:

Edited by darbo

had fox terrier bitch couldnt fault it first class bushing dog. i think irish terrier was a drawing dog

had fox terrier bitch couldnt fault it first class bushing dog. i think irish terrier was a drawing dog

Multi-purpose vermin dog, original dogs were smaller, very dog agressive originally.....crossed with other breeds made very good rabbiters

Seen alot of these sites darbo, and they certainly seem to be worked to good effect at most things. Never seen one working in the flesh, and they obviously look too big for earthwork, but they seem very versatile. I like em and wouldn't mind taking on an Irish terrier/grey

Seen alot of these sites darbo, and they certainly seem to be worked to good effect at most things. Never seen one working in the flesh, and they obviously look too big for earthwork, but they seem very versatile. I like em and wouldn't mind taking on an Irish terrier/grey

ive never seen one in the flesh Shaaark either only listened to the tales about my grandads dog and if the tales were true it took many a long tail of lord derbys estate in merseyside :whistling::laugh: there is a dutch fella who has been breeding with some imported dogs in the lines. i have had a brief chat to him and he has invited me down to see the dogs and have a good talk to him. it maybe intresting. i dont know if anyone has actually purchased one with some sort of work in mind :hmm:

ive never seen one in the flesh Shaaark either only listened to the tales about my grandads dog and if the tales were true it took many a long tail of lord derbys estate in merseyside :whistling::laugh: there is a dutch fella who has been breeding with some imported dogs in the lines. i have had a brief chat to him and he has invited me down to see the dogs and have a good talk to him. it maybe intresting. i dont know if anyone has actually purchased one with some sort of work in mind :hmm:

Lol, yeah they are a nice type of dog. I've always liked em, but probably like alot of other folk, the majority of kc show bred stuff puts me off. Would love to see some proper types around :thumbs:

• Like 1

Lol, yeah they are a nice type of dog. I've always liked em, but probably like alot of other folk, the majority of kc show bred stuff puts me off. Would love to see some proper types around :thumbs:

:thumbs:

• Like 1