Entering Young Ferrets

I have two 4 month old jills that i will be starting this season, iv dabbled in ferrets in the past but nothing too serious. iv recently been given permission on some land with a lot of rabbits to be taken care of, so im looking for as much advice as possible with regards to what age i should enter my jills at and would you suggest big warrens or keep it small till the know what they are doing ect.. cheers!!

I would spend the summer getting them in and out of pipes in the garden and put collars on them get them used to the noise and movement around a burrow picking them up and putting them down . And start them slowly in a wee burrow with another older working ferret if you have one , Theres nothing worse that on there first day out the stand in the mouth of a burrow scratching at the collar as they have never worn one before and mucking about at the burrow entrance . Anytime spent on them now will be well worth it mate

• Like 3

As above, good to try them with an experienced ferret, but doesn't matter, if you have a dog that will give a positive mark, or watch for a rabbit popping down a bury, then you know he is in there.

don't try big warrens at first, they can come later with more experience.

Cheers boys much appreciated, usefully tip on getting them use to collars 'the one' coz sure as I would have only put it on them on my first outing. Thanks again and just one more question age yous would enter them at? Thanks.

great tips here will put the collars on my kits tomorrow!!

I put mine on in intervals, stopped them from working to get it off, if i left it on for a long period of time they would sit there playing with it until it came off, i whisked an egg put the collars on and put a little bit in the bottom of a ramekin dish, this took there minds of the collar and they forgot id put it on on and left it, did this for a little bit more time everyday until they let me put it on without trying to take it off

Dont give too much egg either just enough to line the bottom of the dish

Edited by youcanthide...BANG
  • Like 1

a little goats milk in a dish keeps them occupied while fitting the collars.a carton in the fridge keeps for a good while. after a while they accept it no bother. dont give them cows milk as they are lactose intolerant. good luck with your future ferreting Gunny Sonics and Zor. :thumbs:

Edited by darbo

i've just got back from taking my kits out in a nearby field, no holes just wasteland, put thier collars on and let them roam about, both of them just followed my jack russell about and then rolled about in the grass and chased each other about, not bothered at all about the collars at all....result :thumbs: