Hi there,I was just wondering how you guy's go on about getting all the guns on your shoot

to do the work days.

We run a small do it yourself shoot,there's about eighteen members,full and half guns.

The trouble we have is only a handfull of members come through out the year,to do the

maintenance etc six or so every week all year round.The same one's all the time,while

the rest, we wont see them from the last day in jan to the first day in oct.[[unless they're

forced too]].The same absenties just dont seem to be interested at all.

All they want to do is shoot.They're not even interested in the beating,[[it's a shoot one beat one]].

How do you organize your men for work days,making sure they turn up regularly

any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Half the time you're better off without most of them. The ones that occassionally turn up spend more time gabbing because they haven't seen each other in months that less work gets done than usual. We get by each week with between 2-4 of us but if I'm honest it does piss me off a bit most don't even make an effort, personally I would have a formal agreement, minimum number of work days or additional financial contribution. Could say something like, £1500 per gun or £1300 if a minimum of 5 work days are attended for example.

• Like 2
Guest long-tail

Half the time you're better off without most of them. The ones that occassionally turn up spend more time gabbing because they haven't seen each other in months that less work gets done than usual. We get by each week with between 2-4 of us but if I'm honest it does piss me off a bit most don't even make an effort, personally I would have a formal agreement, minimum number of work days or additional financial contribution. Could say something like, £1500 per gun or £1300 if a minimum of 5 work days are attended for example.

i know its noy quite the same with ref to the amount of money your talking about but my local fishing members lake do the same sort of thing,cheaper membership if work partys are attended yearly,good idea :thumbs:

Edited by long-tail

Get they members out the door first..... f***ing nuisance. The type of member that does nothing all season and then moans when a day goes wrong. At your AGM you get the rules set out and get the rota sorted. Anyone who can't do a few days graft I would hunt out the door. Unless of course there an older member and they earned the right to stand all day....;-)

• Like 2

youve hit the nail there, thats just how it is one our shoot.

We have similar problems - so we have 'working guns' and full payers. The working guns, each have an area (pen) to look after, so that includes working with me, and the shoot captain to sort out their electric fences, pen fences etc, and also any minor tasks that need doing on that pen to ready it for the birds arrival. They also have to attend a minimum number of work parties each year, where things like cutting racks, fencing etc are done as a group. These working guns pay less than the others, and so its a good insentive. If they do not do the work as promised they are gone, either off the shoot, or to a full paying position.

We have stand one, beat one, and I REALLY dont like it, as like you say, most guns are just waiting for their turn to shoot, and I feel that sometimes they dont want to beat well, as they do not want the other team 'having all of the sport' (which is rubbish anyway). Also I generally believe that most of them dont have a f***ing clue how to beat a wood through properly. . . . and manage to f**k it up time and time again.

Give me a handful of proper, payed up beaters and day!

• Like 1

We have similar problems - so we have 'working guns' and full payers. The working guns, each have an area (pen) to look after, so that includes working with me, and the shoot captain to sort out their electric fences, pen fences etc, and also any minor tasks that need doing on that pen to ready it for the birds arrival. They also have to attend a minimum number of work parties each year, where things like cutting racks, fencing etc are done as a group. These working guns pay less than the others, and so its a good insentive. If they do not do the work as promised they are gone, either off the shoot, or to a full paying position.

We have stand one, beat one, and I REALLY dont like it, as like you say, most guns are just waiting for their turn to shoot, and I feel that sometimes they dont want to beat well, as they do not want the other team 'having all of the sport' (which is rubbish anyway). Also I generally believe that most of them dont have a f*****g clue how to beat a wood through properly. . . . and manage to f**k it up time and time again.

Jesus christ............i thought you were the keeper......never knew you were part-time........... :whistling::D

1 of the reasons i left my shoot was because of work parties , all what has been said above. And so called keeper trying to stitch me up to the law.

Syndicates & clubs, always get the same ( workers & the shirkers ) the shirkers are always the 1st to turn up at a shoot & moan or chops off if things aren,t done and the shooting isnt that good because of things aren't done :censored:

Edited by BRY

We have stand one, beat one, and I REALLY dont like it, as like you say, most guns are just waiting for their turn to shoot, and I feel that sometimes they dont want to beat well, as they do not want the other team 'having all of the sport' (which is rubbish anyway). Also I generally believe that most of them dont have a f*****g clue how to beat a wood through properly. . . . and manage to f**k it up time and time again.

Jesus christ............i thought you were the keeper......never knew you were part-time........... :whistling::D

:laugh::tongue2: I'm just a bird herder mate :tongue2::laugh:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

get a meeting organised and sort the twats out I hate lazy people. On delivery day we had a member lift one crate and then put it down and stand about watching other people work! I wasn't there as I was getting my hair done that day but I would have gone off it

On our small shoot there is only 4 of us that do all the work, the other lads are not interested and as others have said the lads that only want to shoot tend to be crap at working and organising a shoot anyway.

Its suits us 4 anyway because we get all the vermin shooting out of season and about 4 or 5 Duck flights before they get a look in.