Whippets Not Keen Help

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would also let the pup get to some ferreted rabbits in the net first. Not all dogs are world beaters from day one with prey drive through the roof. build her confidence with netted rabbits and progr

When did you start running her, if you have pushed her too hard (which is easy to do) you might have put her off, as 12 month is still young.

Where abouts are you mate? I've a young whippet that just had his 1st season and done well. If you're near me then you're more than welcome to bring her out and she can see another dog run. She's stil

Weird has no prey drive , I mean yeah it's young but it is a pure sight hound it is very rare for them not to have chase instinct. Most you struggle to hold back and then the problems come. I'd be more then worried if mine didnt want a look in. As people said get it out ferreting and build its confidence up and hope it comes forward. Very easy rabbits and out with very experienced dogs that catch alot and hope penny drops

she has prey drive! just wont go full at it, shes had it and all of a sudden just dropped back and wont run as much

As has been said wait till Sept get her out with the ferrets, doesn't matter if you net up, the rumbling of the rabbits, as they break cover and them hitting the nets will gee her up.

I started my whippet at 7 months, as i do all my rabbiting dogs, and as i say, let them watch the rabbits bolting, learning to work with the ferrets, and to mark.

never failed with a dog yet.

I would also let the pup get to some ferreted rabbits in the net first. Not all dogs are world beaters from day one with prey drive through the roof. build her confidence with netted rabbits and progress from there. alll dogs are different she stilll maybe imature mentally and lacking confidence. just small steps at a time without overfacing her. the penny will drop. good luck for the future. as she gets more experienced she may start to anticipate were the rabbits are going to bolt from.bolted rabbits with no nets can come later it can be productive dependant on terrrain and the lay out of the land ie how much of a run she can get to secure a catch.same as lamping try her on some young green as grass rabbits only slip her when you are confident at having a good chance of a catch atb.different dogs for example yours sometimes require a sometimes different appproach.

i wud get it out watching dogs doing the job mate , get it out bushing with a few experianced dogs .

Good info from Darbo, when i bring a dog on, i don't have other dogs to show the ropes, and you will get advice on droppers, I don't do this either.

Im sure she will come good, my Neighbour has a young Whippet Bitch Nimrodel breeding bred from pets, she does not want her dog to chase rabbits, but cant stop her, ive seen her, and she has a very high prey drive.

Out ferreting is the answer, especially those crisp cold days, when the rabbits sound like an express train underground, and hit the net at speed, a few days like this, and she will get going

thanks guys! most people are saying the same now and its to take her out ferreting! and will get her out this sept with the ferrets and try a few nights lamping when her prey drive kicks in. Would it be worth taking her out with the lamp at night and just letting her see rabbits in the light or not?....

As has been said wait till Sept get her out with the ferrets, doesn't matter if you net up, the rumbling of the rabbits, as they break cover and them hitting the nets will gee her up.

I started my whippet at 7 months, as i do all my rabbiting dogs, and as i say, let them watch the rabbits bolting, learning to work with the ferrets, and to mark.

I would also let the pup get to some ferreted rabbits in the net first. Not all dogs are world beaters from day one with prey drive through the roof. build her confidence with netted rabbits and progress from there. alll dogs are different she stilll maybe imature mentally and lacking confidence. just small steps at a time without overfacing her. the penny will drop. good luck for the future. as she gets more experienced she may start to anticipate were the rabbits are going to bolt from.bolted rabbits with no nets can come later it can be productive dependant on terrrain and the lay out of the land ie how much of a run she can get to secure a catch.same as lamping try her on some young green as grass rabbits only slip her when you are confident at having a good chance of a catch atb.different dogs for example yours sometimes require a sometimes different appproach.

i wud get it out watching dogs doing the job mate , get it out bushing with a few experianced dogs .

Good info from Darbo, when i bring a dog on, i don't have other dogs to show the ropes, and you will get advice on droppers, I don't do this either.

Im sure she will come good, my Neighbour has a young Whippet Bitch Nimrodel breeding bred from pets, she does not want her dog to chase rabbits, but cant stop her, ive seen her, and she has a very high prey drive.

Out ferreting is the answer, especially those crisp cold days, when the rabbits sound like an express train underground, and hit the net at speed, a few days like this, and she will get going

thanks guys! most people are saying the same now and its to take her out ferreting! and will get her out this sept with the ferrets and try a few nights lamping when her prey drive kicks in. Would it be worth taking her out with the lamp at night and just letting her see rabbits in the light or not?....

Ross click on articles at the top of the forum then click on working dogs then click on starting a lurcher pup lamping by wild rover in my humble opinion a excellent guide to starting a young dog off on the lamp. :thumbs:

Ross click on articles at the top of the forum then click on working dogs then click on starting a lurcher pup lamping by wild rover in my humble opinion a excellent guide to starting a young dog off on the lamp. :thumbs:

will do! thanks :thumbs:

When you go out come Sept make sure to pick a windy night. The grass will still be long in the fields so the rabbits are more inclined to clamp rather than run. When you see 1 clamp, walk onto it with the beam on it and with the dog on the lead. You should be able to right up to them. When it takes off under the dogs nose slip the dog. That'll give her her best chance of catching. She will click.

When I started with my young whippet last year there were times when I thought he should've done better and that his drive could be better but I persevered and now there's no stopping him. He'll run at anything no matter how far and will give every run 100%...110% on big bunnies ;-) He's ran and caught on all types of ground no matter how rough. Had a few very close shaves and near misses with him but no injuries so far other than a couple of cuts and grazes ;-)

When you go out come Sept make sure to pick a windy night. The grass will still be long in the fields so the rabbits are more inclined to clamp rather than run. When you see 1 clamp, walk onto it with the beam on it and with the dog on the lead. You should be able to right up to them. When it takes off under the dogs nose slip the dog. That'll give her her best chance of catching. She will click.

When I started with my young whippet last year there were times when I thought he should've done better and that his drive could be better but I persevered and now there's no stopping him. He'll run at anything no matter how far and will give every run 100%...110% on big bunnies ;-) He's ran and caught on all types of ground no matter how rough. Had a few very close shaves and near misses with him but no injuries so far other than a couple of cuts and grazes ;-)

thanks for the help! is there a certain slip lead everyone uses or just any will do?

As Joe says...a length of rope through the collar works as good as anything. There's a few different types of slip lead around. I prefer the type where the collar comes away...can save the dog getting caught up on a fence or a branch if the dog decides to go through cover though as said a lot of people use the rope through the collar without any problems .;-)

Edited by AirgunGuy

A bit of rope through the collar

As Joe says...a length of rope through the collar works as good as anything. There's a few different types of slip lead around. I prefer the type where the collar comes away...can save the dog getting caught up on a fence or a branch if the dog decides to go through cover ;-)

thanks! wheres the best bit to get hold of the collar ones?

I think ebay has a few different types. I have a number I'll pm to you. He sells excellent slip leads. They're the quick release buckle type where a cord comes up to the loop at the hand with a ring on the end. With your hand through the lead and your finger through the ring you just pull on the ring with your finger and the dog's free.

I think ebay has a few different types. I have a number I'll pm to you. He sells excellent slip leads. They're the quick release buckle type where a cord comes up to the loop at the hand with a ring on the end. With your hand through the lead and your finger through the ring you just pull on the ring with your finger and the dog's free.

been looking on ebay and they dont look to hard to make one yourself if you had the time

I just buy a long lead and cut it up. I get them from the local markets and they are 10-12 foot long and 3 or 4 quid, so you'd get at least 2 out of it.. Just put it through the collar, wrap one end round your hand and loose the other end when you see something.

I find them easier to hold than rope, my dogs a big lad and when he sees something tends to pull and they save me having sore hands at the end of the night,

As far as lamping goes don't expect too much to begin with, the dog won't know how to spot a squatter at the start and remember if the grass is longish you can see over it but the dog has to look through it so may not see stuff. You'll make mistakes too, you need to put yourself and the dog between the rabbit and safety for the best chance of catching and it takes a while to learn how to do that. Most of all just enjoy yourself, it don't matter if your dog never catches a thing as long as she pleases you, and I guarantee the first time you see her run on the lamp you'll be hooked.

I just buy a long lead and cut it up. I get them from the local markets and they are 10-12 foot long and 3 or 4 quid, so you'd get at least 2 out of it.. Just put it through the collar, wrap one end round your hand and loose the other end when you see something.

I find them easier to hold than rope, my dogs a big lad and when he sees something tends to pull and they save me having sore hands at the end of the night,

As far as lamping goes don't expect too much to begin with, the dog won't know how to spot a squatter at the start and remember if the grass is longish you can see over it but the dog has to look through it so may not see stuff. You'll make mistakes too, you need to put yourself and the dog between the rabbit and safety for the best chance of catching and it takes a while to learn how to do that. Most of all just enjoy yourself, it don't matter if your dog never catches a thing as long as she pleases you, and I guarantee the first time you see her run on the lamp you'll be hooked.

thanks! ive had her on the lamp before once and was just getting her used to it really! really useful info cant wait to get her going this season!