I never said they were common in nature, although they are the most common, every tree, blade of grass etc is basically carbohydrate.

The point is once man stated growing crops carbs became easily available in a usable form, both dogs and man then evolved to become better at using this food source.

Greyhounds and other used sight hounds compared to wolves run faster, digest/utilise food more efficiently,have higher red cell volumes, greater comparative heart sizes etc etc, basically they are a much improved version.

Dogs in general and sprint types especially are designed to use this really good energy source so not utilising it is a bit like ignoring fifth great because your first car only had four gears.

Comparing wolves to dogs is like comparing a Morris minor is a Ferrari and Ferrari's, unlike Minors don't run well on two star leaded.

Edited by sandymere

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've posted this before but this little dog I bred 30 years ago became Ch Marvin and the only time he lost a weightpull was when he caught the lure! This litter I raised on nothing but wild caught gam

Tinned dog food is at least % water: waste of money and not good enough for pups. Plus full of flavourings, artificial colours etc. Much better to feed fresh meat as part of a balanced diet; there are

The amount of posts that come up on here on Nutrition for working Dogs. you could write a book on the subject.

I never said they were common in nature, although they are the most common, every tree, blade of grass etc is basically carbohydrate.

Are you suggesting that Wolves get Carbs from cellulose? Fruit yes, my dogs are keen on that!Otherwise, those inefficient Morris Minors manage to forage 70 miles in a day, finishing off with a chase at 40mph to eat if they are lucky, all without the help of Carbs! Not bad, I'd say! The stamina of sight hounds has always been suspect, that's part of the reason for crossing them with something else to produce a lurcher. Isn't it true that an increasing number of dogs are suffering allergies and Cancer, as well as dental problems due to Carbs?

Are you suggesting that Wolves get Carbs from cellulose? Fruit yes, my dogs are keen on that!Otherwise, those inefficient Morris Minors manage to forage 70 miles in a day, finishing off with a chase at 40mph to eat if they are lucky, all without the help of Carbs! Not bad, I'd say! The stamina of sight hounds has always been suspect, that's part of the reason for crossing them with something else to produce a lurcher. Isn't it true that an increasing number of dogs are suffering allergies and Cancer, as well as dental problems due to Carbs?

No I never said wolves get carbs from cellulose I was just correcting your statement and if they are getting more cancer its because they are living longer. Strkes a little like you are making straw men ?

Do you disagree with dogs having evolved to better utilise carb sources?

Could a wolf run the fens? ( I love the claims that wolves run as fast as sigh hounds, funny how borzois etc catch em).

Do not agree the reason we have dogs is because wolves weren't good enough, same as modern horses etc

I think that dogs haven't had a chance to evolve much at all, degeneration of the breeds seems to be the main problem! No, Wolves obviously can't run at good Sighthound speeds but they don't have to as they wear their prey down, endurance and the pack are enough. Back to Carbs, seems like they can exhaust the Adrenal glands and mess up the immune system. Cancer cells are so keen on sugar that they can be picked up on an MRI scan after sugar is eaten.... ALL Carbs are digested to simple sugars! No Straw men involved.

No I never said wolves get carbs from cellulose I was just correcting your statement and if they are getting more cancer its because they are living longer. Strkes a little like you are making straw men ?

Do you disagree with dogs having evolved to better utilise carb sources?

Could a wolf run the fens? ( I love the claims that wolves run as fast as sigh hounds, funny how borzois etc catch em).

Do not agree the reason we have dogs is because wolves weren't good enough, same as modern horses etc

Edited by 2Painless2btrue

You state

“I think that dogs haven't had a chance to evolve much at all

http://www.2ndchance.info/rawdiet-Axelsson2013.pdf

You state

Carbs, seems like they can exhaust the Adrenal glands and mess up the immune system”

Sorry but that is plain wrong, just really basic biology will tell you otherwise, how on earth will they mess up either????

You say

Cancer cells are so keen on sugar that they can be picked up on an MRI scan after sugar is eaten

All cells like glucose, cancerous or otherwise as its such a good energy source, if you don’t feed it your and your dogs bodies will convert fat into glucose so it will be there anyway. Again just very poor biology used to scare monger the less bright.

As to cancer/ causes of death

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/03/causes-of-death-for-dogs-by-breed-and-age-an-important-new-study/

Sorry but none of what you put has any validity within the context of feeding a healthy working dog and shows a complete lack of understanding of the basic principles involved..

This is all off subject so perhaps you would like to start a topic where people can discuss basic biology if you wish to look further at this subject.

You state

“I think that dogs haven't had a chance to evolve much at all

http://www.2ndchance.info/rawdiet-Axelsson2013.pdf

You state

Carbs, seems like they can exhaust the Adrenal glands and mess up the immune system”

Sorry but that is plain wrong, just really basic biology will tell you otherwise, how on earth will they mess up either????

You say

Cancer cells are so keen on sugar that they can be picked up on an MRI scan after sugar is eaten

All cells like glucose, cancerous or otherwise as its such a good energy source, if you don’t feed it your and your dogs bodies will convert fat into glucose so it will be there anyway. Again just very poor biology used to scare monger the less bright.

As to cancer/ causes of death

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2011/03/causes-of-death-for-dogs-by-breed-and-age-an-important-new-study/

Sorry but none of what you put has any validity within the context of feeding a healthy working dog and shows a complete lack of understanding of the basic principles involved..

This is all off subject so perhaps you would like to start a topic where people can discuss basic biology if you wish to look further at this subject.

Fatty acids are not converted to Glucose in mammals, Acetyl CoA is the energy source isn't it? We "less bright" individuals like to keep things simple! Are you saying the Adrenal glands aren't involved in glucose metabolism? Are you saying that the Adrenal glands play no part in Allergy? Why start a new thread when this one is so interesting?