A Mixed Bag

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

had a little walk today with ern, me old mate who ive known for some time has add a stroke and I get him 1 or to bits, for his tea, I think cooking them and preparing the, passers the time of day for

I TOOK THIS TODAY, GIVE IT 4 / 5 MORE WEEKS YOU WILL HAVE THE HOBBY TIMEING THE YOUNG SAND MARTIN AND DRAGON FLY,,HIT S THE LATEST BIRD OF PREY TO GO DOWN,, ITS GREAT TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WITH LIKE

I was a avid egg collector in my youth through the 70s. Had some nice sightings of birds in the following years a old pic of a capercallie when on a mooch in scotland many years ago.  

THE BEST WAY I FOUND ME CHIFFCAFFS WILLOW WARB, AND OTHER SMALL GROUND NESTING BIRDS,,, WAS TO SCATTER, SOME DUCK DOWN ON THE FLOOR, FROM A OLD PILLOW,,,, THEY LOVE IT,,,IT LEADS YOU STAIT TO THE NEST THEY ARE BUILDING,,,, NO TO MENTION A LONG SPOON WITH A BEND ON,,,FOR THE TIGHT HOLES,,,GREAT DAYS WHEN YOU THINK BACK,,,

Vin the picture below is from my parents back gate where I was brought up ... A pair of peregrines would nest on them cliffs every year and I would sit for hours with a pair of binos watching them ... One of the best things I seen was a pigeon being killed by a peregrin about 50 foot above my head ... Absolutely amazing .........

image-57.jpg

Its hard to explain in words..but time does stand still for that moment...and the memories last a life time.

I was watching a video of some fellas Crow hawking and gull hawking with peregrine hybrids on youtube the other day and it was almost like coursing in the sky at one point..

not the best video of falconry done withing the laws etc etc..but a very fit bird.

Vin i got into falconry while i was at school and later lived down south as a teenager working down there. We used to go rook hawking on the Marlborough Downs. We had awesome quality flights down there. And a friend of a friend took me out with a pair of merlins lark hawking, fantastic ringing flights. :thumbs:

THE BEST WAY I FOUND ME CHIFFCAFFS WILLOW WARB, AND OTHER SMALL GROUND NESTING BIRDS,,, WAS TO SCATTER, SOME DUCK DOWN ON THE FLOOR, FROM A OLD PILLOW,,,, THEY LOVE IT,,,IT LEADS YOU STAIT TO THE NEST THEY ARE BUILDING,,,, NO TO MENTION A LONG SPOON WITH A BEND ON,,,FOR THE TIGHT HOLES,,,GREAT DAYS WHEN YOU THINK BACK,,,

I never did much of the egging/nesting jim as a kid. I was always mad for the falconry and my ferrets. :thumbs:

When I was a Lad, Lapwings or we call them Peeweets were common, not any more.

There were no Buzzards, now there everywhere,

A month ago while Fishing I saw a Red Kite, they are doing well since being introduced.

I have also noticed a pair of Raven not far from where I live,

this would have been unheard of years ago.

Still no Magpies.

Vin the picture below is from my parents back gate where I was brought up ... A pair of peregrines would nest on them cliffs every year and I would sit for hours with a pair of binos watching them ... One of the best things I seen was a pigeon being killed by a peregrin about 50 foot above my head ... Absolutely amazing .........

image-57.jpg

Its hard to explain in words..but time does stand still for that moment...and the memories last a life time.

I was watching a video of some fellas Crow hawking and gull hawking with peregrine hybrids on youtube the other day and it was almost like coursing in the sky at one point..

not the best video of falconry done withing the laws etc etc..but a very fit bird.

Vin i got into falconry while i was at school and later lived down south as a teenager working down there. We used to go rook hawking on the Marlborough Downs. We had awesome quality flights down there. And a friend of a friend took me out with a pair of merlins lark hawking, fantastic ringing flights. :thumbs:

you lucky lucky boy.. I would have lost a limb to see Merlins larking when i was a young lad. . . you must also be younger than me because when I was a young lad I couldnt afford a Falcon of any description.. Had a few kestrels and owls etc etc but could only ever dream of owning a Peregrine that cost thousands of pounds.. Ive still got my letter to the department of fisheries and agriculture asking for a license to take a wild Kestrel for training.. They refused me..lol.

bit of subject chaps and sorry Jim for going from a bag of fish to birds..but great thread lads...deserves one of its own.

Has anyone seen that Arctic chap who flys a falcon and runs the dogs with it..? now that sounds like a handy way of hunting. . . I've read about it being done in the past..and often thought it would be something worth a try. . . and its legal so im told.. ? if so. . . im tempted to have a go.

image-57.jpg

you lucky lucky boy.. I would have lost a limb to see Merlins larking when i was a young lad. . . you must also be younger than me because when I was a young lad I couldnt afford a Falcon of any description.. Had a few kestrels and owls etc etc but could only ever dream of owning a Peregrine that cost thousands of pounds.. Ive still got my letter to the department of fisheries and agriculture asking for a license to take a wild Kestrel for training.. They refused me..lol.

LOL i would,nt say i was that much younger than you vin. I got my first kestrel in late 80,s. And i always had jobs before school to pay for my hobby. When i left school i got a job working down south on the tips and airbases doing bird control. I lived in an old caravan in the middle of nowhere, but for a young tearaway it was bliss with my ferts and bop,s. I earned fifty pound a week back then and had to save very hard for my first harris witch were about eight ton back then i think. But some decent lads took me under there wing so to speak and got a good discount and had a good time down there out in the fiellds. Happy days they were :thumbs:

• Like 1

LOL i would,nt say i was that much younger than you vin. I got my first kestrel in late 80,s. And i always had jobs before school to pay for my hobby. When i left school i got a job working down south on the tips and airbases doing bird control. I lived in an old caravan in the middle of nowhere, but for a young tearaway it was bliss with my ferts and bop,s. I earned fifty pound a week back then and had to save very hard for my first harris witch were about eight ton back then i think. But some decent lads took me under there wing so to speak and got a good discount and had a good time down there out in the fiellds. Happy days they were :thumbs:

Were not far apart Freelance old chap..lol.

I ended up chasing fanny for a few years instead of feather...but always never far away from them even when living abroad etc etc.

Yes I remember those big old mexican import harris's when they 1st arrived on the scene.. they were a lot bigger than the stuff ive seen over recent years at dog shows etc etc.. lots bigger.

I always wanted to fly a falcon but never thought i would find the time or the place to keep one in regular flights... but its all a bit more modern nowadays it seems..the old traditions are only for the rich and famous.. but theres plenty of folk flying birds to suite there own land and quarry.

another bloke here using a falcon like they would usually use a Gos or Harris etc etc..

There is an old boy down here ex keeper that does some ferreting with my and is very well known in the goshawk world ... Anyway we were talking about bolting rabbits to the dogs and birds and we had a debate about about what would get to the rabbits first .... So next season we are going to have a little bet dog against bird on bolting rabbit and hopefully film it .........

• Like 1

There is an old boy down here ex keeper that does some ferreting with my and is very well known in the goshawk world ... Anyway we were talking about bolting rabbits to the dogs and birds and we had a debate about about what would get to the rabbits first .... So next season we are going to have a little bet dog against bird on bolting rabbit and hopefully film it .........

whats your money on socks?

ive never seen people hunt with birds so i dont know feck all about it. a good experiencend ferreting dog would be on a bolting rabbit quick though.

whats your money on socks?

ive never seen people hunt with birds so i dont know feck all about it. a good experiencend ferreting dog would be on a bolting rabbit quick though.

I don't know mate it will be very close ... Rules are the dog and bird must be on the edge of the warren not letting the dog hover over a hole otherwise that would be pointless ... Thing is the goshawk can hear a rabbit coming the same as the dog can so its going to be close ..........