Shanes Castle Raceday Yesterday Saturday 29Th June 13

Lee...

The Game Fairs in Ireland, or I should say Albert, has probably done more to promote field sports and working dogs than some of the bodies that people subscribe to, to do just that...

You will go a long, long way before you find anyone here who has done as much for field sports as he has, and you will go a longer way before you find any other organisation who organise similar events that puts back as much as The Irish Game Fair does.

Albert gets a lot of respect from everyone in Ireland involved in field sports and terriers and Lurchers, because its deserved. You wont meet a more honest and genuine fellow, who talks straight and tells it like it is, and there isn't many people who do that anymore.

Where else do people get a platform to show the true side of working dogs, shooting, hunting and fishing to the public without the usual slant put on it by the media...

And from what I know of things he has put up with over the years from the anti hunting lobby amongst other things...Anyone else in his position would have "pulled the pin" years ago....

everybody has different opinions your making out your speaking on behalf of terrier n lurcher men clearly your not.

• Like 1

where does the gate money go ?

Estate Rental, Insurance, advertising, marquees, electrics, toilets, stewards, first aid, directional signs, printing costs, sponsoring FREE stands for the sporting organisations; barriers, arena performers, showers, ground preparation AND THE BEST PRIZES IN IRELAND FOR TERRIERS< LURCHERS and WHIPPETS; CLAY SHOOTING ; GUNDOGS & ANGLING; and sponsorship of sporting organisations; shows, gundog tests and trials, fishing competitions etc throughout the year. OVER THE THIRTY FIVE YEARS OF THE FAIR WE HAVE BEEN THE LARGEST SPONSOR OF COUNTRYSPORTS ACTIVITIES IN IRELAND.

And if there is anything over after that - towards a contingency fund against getting really bad weather.

So that is covered by the gate money? Where does the stall holders money go then? Because they pay a lot to have their wares for sale at your shows

Y.I.S Leeview

I had said you and I should correspond personally rather than openly because I don't know what I have done to you but I have never seen anything from you about our events, which you don't attend, other than criticism. I was asked a question about gate money and I answered it in terms of all of our costs. Exhibitors do NOT pay a lot to exhibit and we often swop stands for sponsorship for prizes and we try to give smaller companies starting up a helping hand. To put things into perspective the Garden Show up the road, with similar crowds, charges roughly twice as much to exhibit. Obviously exhibitors fees like the rest of the revenue from the show goes into the cost structure above. If you are sufficently interested in the cost structure of our fairs and wish to offer constrtuctive criticism or even informed comment do pop along to them and I'll show you rather than you sitting sniping from 'across the pond'. For now I'll make you a sporting challenge - name one major fair that puts more of the revenue raised back into sponsorship of the prizes at their event and into other sporting organisations and their events than we do and I will donate £100 to a charity of your choice. As i have said before I have never needed the fairs for my livelihood and have always worked outside of them to provide for my family. That is why in 35 years everyone has got paid whether we had profit making or loss making fairs and why we can and do put money back. I run fairs because so many clubs rely on them for revenue, our exhibitors many of whom have become friends and not cutomers need them - one Uk exhibitor to my embarrasment hugged me on Sunday night and said we had saved him again as we did last year' and I have met and continue to meet great people. If you do not recognise that we are a bulwark against the antis they certainly do because within Ireland no one has had the same amount of attention from them over the years including personal and family campaigns of harassment, death threats from four masked guys with crossbows published in the paper, harassment of our sponsors and exhibitors, personal assault by over a dozen - fortunately 'old hickory' was a great equaliser, assaults on our house and cars etc. I don't expect or want praise for what I do - as I said at our press conference I genuinely get much more pleasure and prefer to give awards than receive them - I fully expect attacks from the antis but I do think the fair concept that I and my colleagues put on could and should expect support from those who are supposed to be 'friends of country sports'. You have an invitation to come to one of our fairs and to see if we can sort out your personal animosity 'man to man' or take up the challenge above. YIS AlbertJ

• Like 3

why does it matter where the gate money goes lol its not an advertised charity event it a very large expensive to run gamefair. that you can go to if you like if you dont like then do something else. it costs a hell of a lot to run a small show in a field and without the likes of albert and the gamefairs sponsership i and alot of others couldnt give out what we do. had a great weekend at the fair. the wee girl won the main arena obedience competition with the whippet.better for me than any show cup i ever won. so thanks albert j and keep up the good work.

Delighted to hear your daughter won the obedience competition and with a WHIPPET! Pity she didn't go into the smaller arena and show what can be done. I understand the two guys who did turn up to do some good PR for lurchers and terriers in the small ring did an excellent job and really pleased to see Bri, who took part, go on to be ALL Ireland Lurcher Champion. PR like this is important to demonstrate to the public the 'normality' of the terrier, whippet and lurcher world.

albert your a great man for what you do with the game fairs, I wasn't getting at that point. just the giving of money to the anti scum who will no doubt use the "MASSACRED GREYHOUND" by blood thirsty maniacs known as hunting folk against the whole hunting community and id even bet there would be no mention of the thanks for the donation towards the dog from the great game fairs off Ireland next time its on the news. keep up the good work that you do albert im sure many a man hold you in high regard for what you represent.

albert your a great man for what you do with the game fairs, I wasn't getting at that point. just the giving of money to the anti scum who will no doubt use the "MASSACRED GREYHOUND" by blood thirsty maniacs known as hunting folk against the whole hunting community and id even bet there would be no mention of the thanks for the donation towards the dog from the great game fairs off Ireland next time its on the news. keep up the good work that you do albert im sure many a man hold you in high regard for what you represent.

I think everyone would have preferred the money to go directly to the treatment of the dog involved. It is unfortunate that bodies like the USPCA and RSPCA and some of the animal shelters appear to be pursuing an animal rights agenda rather than concentrating on looking after abandoned or distressed animals. I do not see their role is in harassing legitimate sportsmen pursuing legitimate sports. I was delighted to assist in a small way to help redress some of their activities with respect to one sportsman. If whoever ran the collection lets me know I will ensure it gets publicity in Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine.

firstly have to say id great craic at that arena where the ferrets were.good craic and very well done.the lad took the time with the crowd talking about the ferrets while that longnet lad did his display he even had the women and kids holding the ferret which was funny but great to see. you do great work with the fair albert. there were the usual arguments at the racing but what ever was going on at the end with one of the races was bad craic and needs sorted.ill not put anything up here but ask someone you know albert. (tried to message you). on the good stuff had a great time myself and the boss but one bad bit, i was forced into buying one of those fancy barbours for the boss near killed me. lol see yous in birr

• Like 1

i had the ferret kegs when the rabbit director was showing his skills of lol. one man i was talking to had been at gundogs 30 years and had never handled a ferret,after 10 minutes his kids were looking to get one and the wife even agreed. everyone i spoke to thought they were vicious things and always chewing on you lol. if it changed one persons outlook then thats a result for me.

• Like 2

Lee...

The Game Fairs in Ireland, or I should say Albert, has probably done more to promote field sports and working dogs than some of the bodies that people subscribe to, to do just that...

You will go a long, long way before you find anyone here who has done as much for field sports as he has, and you will go a longer way before you find any other organisation who organise similar events that puts back as much as The Irish Game Fair does.

Albert gets a lot of respect from everyone in Ireland involved in field sports and terriers and Lurchers, because its deserved. You wont meet a more honest and genuine fellow, who talks straight and tells it like it is, and there isn't many people who do that anymore.

Where else do people get a platform to show the true side of working dogs, shooting, hunting and fishing to the public without the usual slant put on it by the media...

And from what I know of things he has put up with over the years from the anti hunting lobby amongst other things...Anyone else in his position would have "pulled the pin" years ago....

Fat ferret, Albert and fellow directors of the great game fairs of Ireland have the monopoly on these game fairs what competition do they have? " over this side of the pond" we have several company's(countryman fairs,CLA,Living Heritage) that put on much bigger shows all vying for the gate money.17th of this month Festival of Hunting at Peterborough Showground solely dedicated to hunting nothing else a truly great platform to show working dogs and Hunting.

Shooting and Fishing have there own dedicated shows along with the Falconers Fair so pretty much covered

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 2

Estate Rental, Insurance, advertising, marquees, electrics, toilets, stewards, first aid, directional signs, printing costs, sponsoring FREE stands for the sporting organisations; barriers, arena performers, showers, ground preparation AND THE BEST PRIZES IN IRELAND FOR TERRIERS< LURCHERS and WHIPPETS; CLAY SHOOTING ; GUNDOGS & ANGLING; and sponsorship of sporting organisations; shows, gundog tests and trials, fishing competitions etc throughout the year. OVER THE THIRTY FIVE YEARS OF THE FAIR WE HAVE BEEN THE LARGEST SPONSOR OF COUNTRYSPORTS ACTIVITIES IN IRELAND.

And if there is anything over after that - towards a contingency fund against getting really bad weather.

So that is covered by the gate money? Where does the stall holders money go then? Because they pay a lot to have their wares for sale at your shows

Y.I.S Leeview

I had said you and I should correspond personally rather than openly because I don't know what I have done to you but I have never seen anything from you about our events, which you don't attend, other than criticism. I was asked a question about gate money and I answered it in terms of all of our costs. Exhibitors do NOT pay a lot to exhibit and we often swop stands for sponsorship for prizes and we try to give smaller companies starting up a helping hand. To put things into perspective the Garden Show up the road, with similar crowds, charges roughly twice as much to exhibit. Obviously exhibitors fees like the rest of the revenue from the show goes into the cost structure above. If you are sufficently interested in the cost structure of our fairs and wish to offer constrtuctive criticism or even informed comment do pop along to them and I'll show you rather than you sitting sniping from 'across the pond'. For now I'll make you a sporting challenge - name one major fair that puts more of the revenue raised back into sponsorship of the prizes at their event and into other sporting organisations and their events than we do and I will donate £100 to a charity of your choice. As i have said before I have never needed the fairs for my livelihood and have always worked outside of them to provide for my family. That is why in 35 years everyone has got paid whether we had profit making or loss making fairs and why we can and do put money back. I run fairs because so many clubs rely on them for revenue, our exhibitors many of whom have become friends and not cutomers need them - one Uk exhibitor to my embarrasment hugged me on Sunday night and said we had saved him again as we did last year' and I have met and continue to meet great people. If you do not recognise that we are a bulwark against the antis they certainly do because within Ireland no one has had the same amount of attention from them over the years including personal and family campaigns of harassment, death threats from four masked guys with crossbows published in the paper, harassment of our sponsors and exhibitors, personal assault by over a dozen - fortunately 'old hickory' was a great equaliser, assaults on our house and cars etc. I don't expect or want praise for what I do - as I said at our press conference I genuinely get much more pleasure and prefer to give awards than receive them - I fully expect attacks from the antis but I do think the fair concept that I and my colleagues put on could and should expect support from those who are supposed to be 'friends of country sports'. You have an invitation to come to one of our fairs and to see if we can sort out your personal animosity 'man to man' or take up the challenge above. YIS AlbertJ

Can you define exhibitors as opposed to traders please? exhibitors show/race dogs, traders sell from stalls that they have paid for this purpose IMHO

as for naming one major fair that puts more revenue raised back into sponsorship of the prizes at their event....Living Heritage run qualifiers over the season and have several grand finals for £1,000 each racing,dash and coursing

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

Can you define exhibitors as opposed to traders please? exhibitors show/race dogs, traders sell from stalls that they have paid for this purpose IMHO

as for naming one major fair that puts more revenue raised back into sponsorship of the prizes at their event....Living Heritage run qualifiers over the season and have several grand finals for £1,000 each racing,dash and coursing

Y.I.S Leeview

As usual Lee you speak with such definitive authority people are in danger of thinking you are right! I run events where exhibitors sell their products, their services and /or promote their businesses from EXHIBITION stands. Prior to running fairs we organised trade EXHIBITIONS and I have also consulted with the World Bank on advising the Indonesian government on exhibition systems in trade centres and exhibition stands as part of an overall international marketing project. Hence I should once again claim to know a little more about terminology in this area than you. AND SURPRISE, SURPRISE The Living Heritage Series of Fairs - call their 'traders' EXHIBITORS too. Thumbing through their site I see some good prizes but nothing like the the sort of prizes we have for our fairs. Now Lee once again you have apparently entered a thread with ill informed comment and purpose - but how could it be otherwise as you don't come to our fairs and just appear to wish to snipe at us from 'across the pond'. Be a man get on the boat and see for yourself and then give us some informed comment.

firstly have to say id great craic at that arena where the ferrets were.good craic and very well done.the lad took the time with the crowd talking about the ferrets while that longnet lad did his display he even had the women and kids holding the ferret which was funny but great to see. you do great work with the fair albert. there were the usual arguments at the racing but what ever was going on at the end with one of the races was bad craic and needs sorted.ill not put anything up here but ask someone you know albert. (tried to message you). on the good stuff had a great time myself and the boss but one bad bit, i was forced into buying one of those fancy barbours for the boss near killed me. lol see yous in birr

Drop me a mail to irishgamefair@btinternet.com Re the Barbour - never go near that man Smyth no lady is safe from buying a Barbour from him!

I think everyone would have preferred the money to go directly to the treatment of the dog involved. It is unfortunate that bodies like the USPCA and RSPCA and some of the animal shelters appear to be pursuing an animal rights agenda rather than concentrating on looking after abandoned or distressed animals. I do not see their role is in harassing legitimate sportsmen pursuing legitimate sports. I was delighted to assist in a small way to help redress some of their activities with respect to one sportsman. If whoever ran the collection lets me know I will ensure it gets publicity in Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine.

if whoever ran the collection...................are you saying you dont know who is taking up collections at your fairs.as someone who donated money i feel cheated .is there any action going to be taken against whoever started this ill thoughtout idea.

if whoever ran the collection...................are you saying you dont know who is taking up collections at your fairs.as someone who donated money i feel cheated .is there any action going to be taken against whoever started this ill thoughtout idea.

Nans pat,

At the time I wrote what you quoted I did not know who ran the collection but as I deal in facts not wild speculation I took steps to find out. In spite of terrier & lurcher enthusiasts thinking I have nothing else to do but to address problems in their area I cannot be everywhere at once. I was not asked for permission to collect money as I understand it was a spontaneous reaction to animal suffering by two members of the organising team. Of course there is no action to be taken against such a well meaning gesture but I have advised them that before any money is handed over that the conditions of the donation be made clear i.e. that the money is SOLELY to be used for the treatment of the animal involved and the rehoming off it. I think that's what most people who donated would have wanted and I will give it positive publicity - that should resolve any concerns. Like your earlier complaint about the cost of fish suppers last year - my advice then was to make a choice whether to purchase them or not - I assume you made a similar choice when you made a donation. I do give regularly to collections BUT I do make sure I know to whom it is going. If you feel you have 'been cheated' with regard to this collection I am happy to refund your donation myself.

Albertj

Y.I.S Leeview

Y.I.S Leeview

As usual Lee you speak with such definitive authority people are in danger of thinking you are right! I run events where exhibitors sell their products, their services and /or promote their businesses from EXHIBITION stands. Prior to running fairs we organised trade EXHIBITIONS and I have also consulted with the World Bank on advising the Indonesian government on exhibition systems in trade centres and exhibition stands as part of an overall international marketing project. Hence I should once again claim to know a little more about terminology in this area than you. AND SURPRISE, SURPRISE The Living Heritage Series of Fairs - call their 'traders' EXHIBITORS too. Thumbing through their site I see some good prizes but nothing like the the sort of prizes we have for our fairs. Now Lee once again you have apparently entered a thread with ill informed comment and purpose - but how could it be otherwise as you don't come to our fairs and just appear to wish to snipe at us from 'across the pond'. Be a man get on the boat and see for yourself and then give us some informed comment.

Wow where do you find all this time Albert? But your not running an exhibition its supposed to be a Game Fair surely?

When you were at Crufts(where you got a rossette) as an exhibitor were you showing a dog or selling your wares?

Living Heritage pay out £1,000 to the winner NOT goods to the equivalent value of donated prizes. So ask the people who enter your events if they are happy with your donated prizes or would they prefer the cash?

I've been on the boat several times judging in both north and Eire unfortunately that does nt leave much time for looking around the stalls.

Y.I.S Leeview