What Have I Done Wrong!!

Had both my jills covered this spring by a local lads hob. My jills are litter sisters and about 14 months old. The hob stayed for the week all went well. Both jills took and by the time they where around the five week mark they were nice and plump lazing around all day and very obviously pregnant. At this point I split them up in to separate hutches so they had a week or so to settle build a nest and just do whatever it is they do. Both hutches are 2 tier hutches so I don't have to disturb the nesting area of either Jill. Sadly things never went well at all. Never even see the kits of one of the jills she must of destroyed them all at birth, the other had 4 but now 10 days later I only have 1 left. I never in anyway distrurbed either of the jills other than to feed them and clean there toilet area,s daily. I only noticed the first 4 kits by chance and had no more than a slightly opened door. I am gutted and a little annoyed with My self that I have done something wrong. Only breed them as I wanted to keep atleast 4 for the ever growing list of permission I have gained.

any info would be great

Cheers

i had 3 litter sisters years ago that killed 2 litters each, 6 litters in 2 years, to say i was gutted was an understatement, then the guy who gave me the jills told me they was hand reared, i dont knowif that made a diffrence, but iv bred umpteen litters before an after them 2 unlucky years and never had any other probs really, put it down to experience buy some kitts in an get on with it pal, i nearly drove meself round bend asking what if, or if only... atb

you put plenty of grub in there for them ............you done nothing wrong I checked on the kits twice a day , every time I fed the gills.........I even added a gill that( lost a litter for unknown reason , the same as you) and she helped wean a litter of nine, with no problems....

that's the way it goes in the ferret game mate

cheers mate and thanks for that I have also been going mad, so comforting to hear this is something that other peoples ferrets have done for no reason at all. Yeah I am on the look out for a few young stinkers, but down here in kent for some weird reason seem rarer than hens teeth.

cheers

As it was there first litter treat it as a learning curve , maybe you did nothing wrong maybe it was the jills they will come back into season soon and its your choice to breed them again but there going to be late kits and might just get a start at the end of the ferreting season

I wouldn't split them up if they live together all the time bud I seperated mine after first Jill gave birth as the second was a week behind, but she went 5 days over !! I let them out all the time but our lass let her out on 5 day overdu mark and when I was home take her to vets I was worried sick !

All in all she wanted to give birth with her best pal jessy who had ten kits Jenny had 8 all lived now all sold apart from 2 we keeping , the point is 6 hours after birth Jenny and jessy were now looking after 18 kits taken turns feeding them all so next time I breed they WILL be left together for birth and to help each other

cheers mate and thanks for that I have also been going mad, so comforting to hear this is something that other peoples ferrets have done for no reason at all. Yeah I am on the look out for a few young stinkers, but down here in kent for some weird reason seem rarer than hens teeth.

cheers

I'm in Kent and my two have just had litters (born 24th) so still early days, not sure how far away you are but if your interested PM me in a few weeks to see how things are going. I separated my two a about a week and a half before they were due, after asking advice in the forum, and all is going ok at the moment (touch wood) Both the jills are albinos, very slight, and the hob was a beast of a working pole cat, borrowed in so a fresh bloodline, both parents well handled. As I said not sure where your from but I know of at least 3 other litters within a stones throw from me, not sure if their for sale but plenty about in Eat Kent :thumbs:

i have a few pairs and some years you just get unlucky but i wouldnt split them i would leave them together as they will rear the two litters together yea you might lose a few as they will prob kill off the weekest but it takes the burden off them abit but others swear by separating so to answer your question i dont think you did anything wrong as such. dont be disheartened because it happens to everyone at some stage.

cheers for all the feedback and future thoughts and tips. Also for the offer of surplus kits. Had an email from a lad just a few miles round the corner, and have put my name to a few youngsters. Looking forward to the nip training. Ouch!!

cheers for all the feedback and future thoughts and tips. Also for the offer of surplus kits. Had an email from a lad just a few miles round the corner, and have put my name to a few youngsters. Looking forward to the nip training. Ouch!!

Ahem, less of the lad please. lol. I am getting on a bit, but you are welcome.

cheers

• Like 1