Wildfoods For Birds

Some of the wildfoods which folks can give there birds.

I reckon theres nothing better you can give your birds as far as keeping them healthy and in condition, I,ll try my best to give times of year to collect, what part of plants to use and properties of each plant, some descriptions will have ??? as I am unfamiliar with these plants myself but there is some reference of people using these for there birds.Many references to properties and health benefits are from herbal medicine and there effects on human biology but imo will benefit birds in similar ways. Apart from the goodness gained from the plants themselves feeding these is a great way to keep your birds occupied,

Hopefully this will help some of the folks new to collecting wildfood,

cheers :thumbs:

coltsfoot - early spring - seeding heads - general tonic

220px-Coltsfoot.jpg

alder - Jan - April - catkins and seed cones - protein and oils

220px-Tagalder8139.jpg

dandelion - spring - whole plant, birds go mad for seed heads - high vit A, C, B6, iron, magnesium, one of the best conditioners/ tonics

220px-DandelionFlower.jpg

chickweed - spring - autumn, can grow all year round however - whole plant - similar properties to dandelion

220px-Kaldari_Stellaria_media_01.jpg

meadowsweet - summer - seeds although worth trying flowers ??? essential oils

220px-Filipendula-ulmaria.JPG

milkthistle - summer/ autumn - seedheads - anti inflammatory, antioxidant ( hangover cure :D )

220px-Milk_thistle_flowerhead.jpg

sowthistle - summer - whole plant - properties similar to dandelions

220px-Sow-thistle_2.jpg

groundsel - early spring - autumn although can grow all year, whole plant/ particularly seeding heads - general conditioner

220px-Common_Groundsel-first_fruits.jpg

mugwort - summer - seeds/ possibly leaves ??? - essential oils/ tonic

220px-ArtemisiaVulgaris.jpg

ragwort - summer to as late as November - seeding heads - funny one this, toxic to most animals, greatly enjoyed by finches - properties unsure ???

220px-Ragwort_and_caterpillars%2C_Crouch

dock - summer into winter - seeding heads - one of the best, thought to be a great conditioner for plumage, contains oils which are greatly beneficial, good oils though so birds don't become fat.

240px-Rumex-obtusifolius-foliage.JPG

burdock - late summer through winter - seeding heads - goldfinches are particularly adept getting at the seeds contained in the heads ( burrs ) - calcium, potassium, blood purifier ( powerful antioxidant ), anti inflammatory, fatty oils

220px-Burrs.png

plantain - summer/ autumn - seeding heads although young leaves may be worth a try ???as they have similar properties to dandelion

220px-Ribwort_600.jpg

ash keys - spring - buds enjoyed by bullys - keys hang from tree in winter, unsure which birds feed on these but most likely bullys - properties ???

200px-Fraxinus_excelsior_4560.jpg

rowan - autumn ( winter has begun when the waxwings have ate the last of the rowan berries ) - for softbills mostly, possibly bullys - high vit C

220px-Rowanberries_in_late_August_2004_i

knapweed - summer - seedheads although worth trying flowers as they are high in nectar - general conditioner

220px-Centaurea_nigra-floro.jpg

goatsbeard - summer - seedheads although flowers are high in nectar so maybe worth trying - general conditioner/ healing properties/ preventative

220px-Aruncus_dioicus_15105.JPG

shephards purse - summer - seedheads - properties unsure ??? healing properties

220px-Capsella_bursa-pastoris.JPG

evening primrose - summer - seeds although young leaves worth a try - essential oils/ acids

220px-Floare_galbena_bgiu.jpg

fat-hen - summer - seeds - protein, vit A, calcium, phosphorus, potassium

220px-Melganzenvoet_bloeiwijze_Chenopodi

teasel - autumn winter - seedheads - highly nutritious, anti inflammatory

220px-Dipsacus_fullonum1.jpg

weld - summer/ autumn - a bit obscure this one but probably seed heads and may be worth trying flowers ( high nectar content ) , good reference to be used for enhancing plumage colour ( yellows/ greens ) when fed to birds

220px-Reseda_luteola_%28Flowers%29.jpg

herb robert - all summer - unfamiliar with this one but reference to bullfinches will eat the buds flowers and stems, also other finches enjoy these ??? essential oils, boosts immune system, preventative

220px-Herb-Robert_800.jpg

blackberries - autumn - superfood, antioxidant, high vit c, omega 3, essential fats etc etc

200px-Black_Butte_blackberry.jpg

rosehips - late summer/ autumn - antioxidant, vit c, vit a, vit b, fatty acids

220px-Rosa_rubiginosa_hips.jpg

pyracantha - late autumn/ winter - highly nutritious, birds known to get drunk eating berries

220px-Red_pommes_of_Firethorn_%28Pyracan

cotoneaster - late autumn/ winter- highly nutritious

220px-Cotoneaster_frigidus.jpg

white campion - summer/ early autumn - seeds - similar nutritional value to chickweed

220px-White_campion_close_700.jpg

red ( pink ) campion - as above

220px-Red_campion_close_700.jpg

charlock ( wild mustard ) summer - seed pods - properties ???

220px-Herik_17-10-2005_13.59.40.JPG

hawksbeard - summer - a bit obscure this one - very similar to dandelion so may have similar benefits ???

220px-Crepis_sibirica0.jpg

elderberry - late autumn/ winter - berries but worth trying flowers - highly nutritious, high vit c, vit a, vit b, antioxidant

220px-Sambucus-berries.jpg

persicaria - a bit obscure - most probably seedheads - properties ???

220px-Polygonum_lapathifolium3.jpg

if anyone has any more please share :thumbs:

Edited by KittleRox
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the wildfoods which folks can give there birds. I reckon theres nothing better you can give your birds as far as keeping them healthy and in condition, I,ll try my best to give times of year

birds love it fireman :laugh:

:icon_eek: Faaark Me!!! Goose bumps, just looking at that!!!     :notworthy: :notworthy:   That Post Has To Be Pinned! It's probably the most f**king useful and informed post I've ever read

Posted Images

Gnash; While I appreciate the compliment ..... Here we're talking about supplementing the diets of Native birds, bred and kept in captivity. And Bringing them Native plant produce.

My field is supplying Native birds, living in the wild. Thus, I'm 'up' on 'Non Native' seeds to supplement the stuff they rely on in their natural state.

I'm Really impressed with KittleRox's post there. Superb effort :clapper:

I would just ask clarification of where / when one should offer the leaf / flowering head / seeding head or what ever.

And how about gathering / preserving these things? Can it be done, to any benefit? I give my horses supplementary feed year round. I feel it helps them through the winter nights of hay diet. Anything here serve a similar purpose?

I really think that's a cracking post and, with a bit more considered input? I'd vote for a Sticky! :clapper::yes:

Hats off to KittleRox!

• Like 1

Groundsel,Dandilion and Chickweed the whole plant and flower.

Colts foot and Dock,leaves and seeds.

The berries self explaining.

Everything else the seeding or seeded heads.

Nice one Kittle :victory: and many thanks as it will help us all i'd say,does need pinning this list for sure :yes: .

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1

OP - yes you're right mate, I thought myself a bit info of when and what parts to feed would make the post, also what the plant contains etc and how it may influence birds health :thumbs: not sure how it would affect horses though, but you can make your own mind up and maybe experiment :hmm:

Fireman- you're pretty much spot on mate :thumbs:

Giro- hang some dead animals above the aviaries :D

I have a bit time on my hands because I, m stuck in the house fxcked with the cauld so I,ll do a bit editing today and add more as I go :thumbs:

Edited by KittleRox
  • Like 1

I have a wire covered bucket with rotten fruit in it for the fruit fly's and i pile all my old wild food up in a corner of my flights and once in a while i'll give it all a good shaking and let the birds dine on the insect's that are always living in it,my own birds do also have live mealworms every day and i do buy maggots from the fishing tackle shop for them also but they like the mealworms better.There's also fruit and other veg like pea's,sweetcorn and brocalli they will all eat as well,I keep my fruit fly bucket covered with wire just to keep the birds directly off the rotten fruit and they soon suss that when they land on the wire the fly's soon appear.

One thing i will say about horses is that they will self medicate on a verge side and i'd also say that animals do have a good general knowledge of whats good for them and when.

• Like 2

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: Faaark Me!!! Goose bumps, just looking at that!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

That Post Has To Be Pinned! It's probably the most f**king useful and informed post I've ever read about this game!

How the hell do you learn so much, KR? The f**king research that must've gone into that ..... I say your title should be changed to " Extreme Avicultural Herbalist ! :clapper:

I'm off to petition Ian B to Pin that one! What say you, lads? :yes:

• Like 3

:icon_redface: thanks very much Pete :D must admit its took me a while today but I have been researching wildfoods for a few weeks now, although I've kept birds most of my life I never got into the wildfood side untill recently,

very interesting some of it to, I might start eating some of the stuff myself :yes: self medicating in the hedgerows :laugh:

cheers :thumbs:

definately going to get a book on the herbal medicine mate, I'm finding some of it fascinating, stuff people used before modern medicine was available,

I was thinking the day how when I was a bairn I would to be rummaging about the hedgerows, raiding nests, ferreting etc and here I am 30 + years later and I'm still to be found in the bushes :laugh:

cheers mate :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ragwort - summer to as late as November - seeding heads - funny one this, toxic to most animals, greatly enjoyed by finches - properties unsure ???

Funny stuff. I spent some quality time ~ and effort ~ heaving it out of the ground my horses are living on just now. I just can't find it in myself to see it there.

True; It's the home of the Cinnabar moth. That's their (equally lethal) caterpillars there. Black and yellow things.

Live Stock would have to be absolutely crazed with starvation to eat Ragwort. It must taste like battery acid on the tongue of mammals.

• Like 1

Ragwort - summer to as late as November - seeding heads - funny one this, toxic to most animals, greatly enjoyed by finches - properties unsure ???

Funny stuff. I spent some quality time ~ and effort ~ heaving it out of the ground my horses are living on just now. I just can't find it in myself to see it there.

True; It's the home of the Cinnabar moth. That's their (equally lethal) caterpillars there. Black and yellow things.

Live Stock would have to be absolutely crazed with starvation to eat Ragwort. It must taste like battery acid on the tongue of mammals.

Certainly a dodgy plant Pete, I would think if you were making hay you wouldn't want that stuff in the mix,

the seeding heads seems a favourite of the birds though particularly goldfinches, :thumbs: