Wildfoods For Birds

Certainly a dodgy plant Pete, I would think if you were making hay you wouldn't want that stuff in the mix .....

That, as I understand it, is the biggest danger, apparently. Seems it loses its foul flavour as it dries. Yet it remains lethal! :icon_eek: So, yeah, ye stock can eat it, in hay, and keel over! Sod That!!!

Goldies are well enough catered for though. I'm sure there's plenty of the stuff in the rough fields around here. I just try to keep it out of the meadows. See how I've learned the definite distinction now, look? ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of the wildfoods which folks can give there birds. I reckon theres nothing better you can give your birds as far as keeping them healthy and in condition, I,ll try my best to give times of year

birds love it fireman :laugh:

:icon_eek: Faaark Me!!! Goose bumps, just looking at that!!!     :notworthy: :notworthy:   That Post Has To Be Pinned! It's probably the most f**king useful and informed post I've ever read

Posted Images

Wild Campion has just started seeding roundabout, I was picking some seed pods the other day for the first time and it seems this plants a favourite of the lychnis moth, caterpillers feed of the seeds inside the seed pod then emerge to eat the plant itself, I was cracking the pods open over the sink and a caterpiller popped out :icon_eek: I near sxxxt meself :laugh:

I tried to find out if the caterpillers are poisonous or not but details are sketchy, usually if caterpillers are toxic they 're brightly coloured, also birds eat campion seeds, caterpillers eat campion seeds, birds eat caterpillers which ate the seeds etc etc so all things being equal they should be fine for the birds, I'll let you know the outcome :hmm::thumbs:

e5733c0385ceb0a06032e3b3c2cbdcef.jpg?nav

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

todays concoction - seeding grasses, dock, milkthistle, knapweed, plantain, ragwort, hawksbeard, meadowsweet and the odd dandelion

weeds003_zps90abd817.jpg

not sure of the plants name but grows everywhere and something which you can start collecting now, hangs on the dry stems of the plant untill the end of winter so plenty time, not for feeding the birds but for nesting material, I collected it for my birds this season and it makes a lovely silky smooth nest lining :thumbs:

weeds001_zpsdcaabaaa.jpg

weeds002_zpse6cedd63.jpg

cheers :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Still a few grass's holding seed heads as well and chickweed and shepards purse still going here in Norfolk.

that reminds me I thought I spotted shephards purse the other day but wasn't 100 % so just left it, I'll need to take a look at my own pics lol :thumbs:

Water Cress

I saw someone mentioning this, on one of the dedicated bird forums. It grows in a ditch I walk by every day here. So, that's handy :yes:

One of ancestors made his living from gathering and hawking this stuff. I'm surmising that its properties were far better known and appreciated, back in those days.

What ever. As and when I have birds, they'll be having some of this ;)

Watercress_zps9fcbca1c.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...