What's The Best Working Border Terrier Line?

I don't believe that lines make any difference ................especially to big breeders ,money always takes over and people add all sorts of shite to dogs which will always thin the blood out of a line,..................your best bet these days would get out with some decent borders and know what your getting ,................a name wont help a dog work but seeing for yourself is your best chance................it makes me laugh how many people say nuttal bred , wheeler bred ,...got the dog off a mate of a mate,...........they haven't really got a clue what is in it ,..............I know it don't give you much choice but get decent to suit your needs then keep your own line going and then you just cant get it wrong..............given generations of your own breeding you will be keeping the real mcoy and not something you will take a chance because of a name..............prime example is me mate got a border out of so called Tyson lines ,.................he never used it for ground work ,.he uses it for ratting and ferreting ,............but if hes happy then fair play ,...........but to have all this special blood in it ,.......I reckon it would shite itself down a hole.............and good luck to find a digging border because they are scarce but if your looking for the show ring type ,there is plenty and unfortunately this is the main reason why there so scarce.......

• Like 1

I don't believe that lines make any difference ................especially to big breeders ,money always takes over and people add all sorts of shite to dogs which will always thin the blood out of a line,..................your best bet these days would get out with some decent borders and know what your getting ,................a name wont help a dog work but seeing for yourself is your best chance................it makes me laugh how many people say nuttal bred , wheeler bred ,...got the dog off a mate of a mate,...........they haven't really got a clue what is in it ,..............I know it don't give you much choice but get decent to suit your needs then keep your own line going and then you just cant get it wrong..............given generations of your own breeding you will be keeping the real mcoy and not something you will take a chance because of a name..............prime example is me mate got a border out of so called Tyson lines ,.................he never used it for ground work ,.he uses it for ratting and ferreting ,............but if hes happy then fair play ,...........but to have all this special blood in it ,.......I reckon it would shite itself down a hole.............and good luck to find a digging border because they are scarce but if your looking for the show ring type ,there is plenty and unfortunately this is the main reason why there so scarce.......

Thats the best common sense Ive heard in a long time.

spot on bud :yes:

ll so true mate your bang on with your comment nice to hear some common sense

i paid 300 each for two borders a few years ago, there line was ment to be the bees knees, they where pure shit, i never rushed them gave them there time and schooled them the best i could but if i kissed there arse they still wouldnt stay to ground, in and out shifting all over the place and these where handy digs, then i got a bitch last year off a good friend of mine off this site, shes 2 and a half years old only give a hundred euro for her was like a duck to water, brought her out with a small pack of beagle xs worked cover straight away worked fox to ground never moved an inch hard as nails on them, and my old man got given a border dog in england cause he kept biteing his owner sent him back here to us 3.5 years old not the best of bushing dogs but bring him to a hole and if anything is home your digging him out because he aint moving if hes on game. and hes out of k.c stuff.

if i was you id try and find two honest workers and get a pup from them. the best terrier i have in my yard i know f**k all about just a mongrel terrier really but i wouldnt sell her for diamonds. good lines still throw shit dogs no matter what line

Edited by fenman1#

i paid 300 each for two borders a few years ago, there line was ment to be the bees knees, they where pure shit, i never rushed them gave them there time and schooled them the best i could but if i kissed there arse they still wouldnt stay to ground, in and out shifting all over the place and these where handy digs, then i got a bitch last year off a good friend of mine off this site, shes 2 and a half years old only give a hundred euro for her was like a duck to water, brought her out with a small pack of beagle xs worked cover straight away worked fox to ground never moved an inch hard as nails on them, and my old man got given a border dog in england cause he kept biteing his owner sent him back here to us 3.5 years old not the best of bushing dogs but bring him to a hole and if anything is home your digging him out because he aint moving if hes on game. and hes out of k.c stuff.

if i was you id try and find two honest workers and get a pup from them. the best terrier i have in my yard i know f**k all about just a mongrel terrier really but i wouldnt sell her for diamonds. good lines still throw shit dogs no matter what line

Trouble is people will outcross all the time. Keep blood tight. You may have a good mongrel terrier but what happens when you come to breed it?

have a bitch off her 2 year old at the end of this august gave her 2 handy digs at end of last year, she went well but like i said was only 2 digs and they where handy digs 3-4 ft, this year will tell alot with her, but if she don't make the grade she wont be kept, hopefully she will be ok shes out of a good hard line of dogs in cork, back to my mongrel terrier, the mother is out of working dogs but i dont no anything about her sire and dam, she was sent to me from Ireland when i lived in England but im back living in Ireland. to be honest i was told she was 3/4 russell 1/4 patterdale, but i got her off a man and he was known as paddy the lier so where do you go from there.

atb and happy hunting in coming season

the good lines are kept tight within a group of terrier men whos same attitudes and standards are much the same, it prevents them from falling into the hands of idiots to manipulate and say this is blah blah bred,and it has papers to, gis your wallet and il give you change , they are kept close for future improvements to the line, thats why good lines are still going to this day, and when a litter is needed, its to rejuvenate stock, then and only then is there a mating !!! and they are kept within that inner circle

• Like 1

the good lines are kept tight within a group of terrier men whos same attitudes and standards are much the same, it prevents them from falling into the hands of idiots to manipulate and say this is blah blah bred,and it has papers to, gis your wallet and il give you change , they are kept close for future improvements to the line, thats why good lines are still going to this day, and when a litter is needed, its to rejuvenate stock, then and only then is there a mating !!! and they are kept within that inner circle

Have got Borders yourself ?