Small Lurchers On Deer Pre Ban !!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed   I consider a small dog 18/22 with a sma

Whats everyones opinion on a small lurcher to me 25tts is a big dog just curious

its ok for these dogs to catch deer preban but ,.........too define a good small dog they needed to be finished quick aswell............ no point catching them to suffer from clinging to the back leg

Posted Images

Seen dogs of all breeds and sizes take all deer but small dogs are shit in the corn and long grass.

summer hunter then if the grass is to high :yes::D

where do you take the dogs this time of year ffs ,........juist keep to the roads.........?because a few deer get up in front of the dogs whilst walking don't make you a summer hunter....

who rattled your cage ffs it was a joke :laugh: some nobbers on here summer time respect your game there all with young or carrying you done a lot havent you :yes::D

you calling me a fooking nobber ..............you want to take this out side.........lol

seriously me old cock as northern light says there a pain in the ass and as much as you do your best to avoid them ,..........and to really avoid them you wouldn't go out side the door with the dogs..............they are a fooking nuisance ,especially this time of year when they come off the hills to graze in cover with young.............what with that and the summer dog walkers ,its a bad combination......

Seen dogs of all breeds and sizes take all deer but small dogs are shit in the corn and long grass.

summer hunter then if the grass is to high :yes::D

where do you take the dogs this time of year ffs ,........juist keep to the roads.........?because a few deer get up in front of the dogs whilst walking don't make you a summer hunter....

who rattled your cage ffs it was a joke :laugh: some nobbers on here summer time respect your game there all with young or carrying you done a lot havent you :yes::D

you calling me a fooking nobber ..............you want to take this out side.........lol

seriously me old cock as northern light says there a pain in the ass and as much as you do your best to avoid them ,..........and to really avoid them you wouldn't go out side the door with the dogs..............they are a fooking nuisance ,especially this time of year when they come off the hills to graze in cover with young.............what with that and the summer dog walkers ,its a bad combination......

as said i was only having the crack :laugh: mate i see them every day on me walks not having a dig at any one if they chose to run them fair dues but my self its not some thing i would do but shit happends :yes: have a good summer and calm down me old mucker :thumbs::D

Edited by troter58
  • Like 1

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed

I consider a small dog 18/22 with a small frame........if people were to run roe and fallow on a regular basis with these type of animals the first question in my head would be "why?"

• Like 7

I personally don't consider a 24/25 inch dog a small dog, I think the frame of the dog matters more in these sizes and most of them are very adequate indeed

I consider a small dog 18/22 with a small frame........if people were to run roe and fallow on a regular basis with these type of animals the first question in my head would be "why?"

i like all dogs of all flavours but my favourite is the bigger dog 27+ I just like watching a big dog work, speed turning just the pure effort of them, but I've also seen a 19" beddy wip take fallow and regular as you like. Reason is because it can. But still rather the bigger type Lurcher, once has hold it's in the bag. If only we could still do this.

Even the bigger dogs still need proper technique to be decent. Getting dragged by fallow doesnt need to happen (not far anyway). Any dog should grab a hock or whatever, but as soon as possible it should be under the chin.

Edited by dogs-n-natives
  • Like 1

i like all dogs of all flavours but my favourite is the bigger dog 27+ I just like watching a big dog work, speed turning just the pure effort of them, but I've also seen a 19" beddy wip take fallow and regular as you like. Reason is because it can. But still rather the bigger type Lurcher, once has hold it's in the bag. If only we could still do this.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I would be very interested to know what you mean by " regular" matey?..........a full grown Fallow doe is some machine in full flight never mind a buck especially in the daytime.........on a 50+ acre field in the daytime you will soon see how capable a fallow is of running..........so I am told.

• Like 2
Guest thebigdog

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I would be very interested to know what you mean by " regular" matey?..........a full grown Fallow doe is some machine in full flight never mind a buck especially in the daytime.........on a 50+ acre field in the daytime you will soon see how capable a fallow is of running..........so I am told.

it's a beddi/whip wilf, we all know they were taking polar bears pre ban ffs :laugh:

. Especialy

,when its turns and comes running straight at you. Lol

• Like 1

. Especialy

,when its turns and comes running straight at you. Lol

Or a pair do !!! Lol lol lol.........

• Like 1

Driving home one night along a small windy road. Them big hedges both sides on grass banks big fallow buck comes stright at me am in a disco. Foot down hes flying at me. Russian roulette lol i. Put the brakes on he powerd up and lept over the hedge like it was not there. Amazing annimal in full flight were a hand full

Edited by gonetoearth

I was told a tale about a couple of lads who had some very good daytime fallow permission back when it was legal, there was on thin strip of planted trees with a heard of maybe 15 or 20 fallow, this led out onto a field of maybe 60 acres that adjoined another field of maybe another 60 or 70....the group sensed the presence of these lads and started to mill about as nervous deer do so these two lads squatted in the scrub grass adjoining the field and waited to see what they would do.

As they moved out into the field these lads waited until they had reached the point of no return and away went the dog, they tell me that the dog cut out 2 from the heard and the chase carried on into the next field.....not being able to see very well one of these lads ventured into the gateway onto the second field when with a sound of thundering hoofs two does exploded through the gate......this lad, having put on a few pounds in his latter years, just managed to jump clear before being flattened by these heavy animals who were shifting at a rate of knots !

He told me it certainly gets the old heart pumping !! Lol lol

Wilf. I was also told a story... it goes like this... .

3 lads were out and therr was a herd of maybe 15 fallow does milling around like idiots. 2 dogs werr thrown into the bunch.... a young inexperienced dog and an older powerful experienced dog.

They singled out one each. And the older dog ended up quite a distance away. While the young dog lost his fairly quick into a wood nearby.

Upon the older dog returning a huge Doe was still around. Which he soon got onto. As the course progressed the dg and this 100lb doe headed straight back to where the lads where standing.

One of the lads... unbelievably set himself up to rugby tackle this thundering monster. At the last moment he 'cocked' and dropped flat in the ground with hoofs and tails jumping over him.

When he returned to the lads they said what the fook wherr you trying to do. He replied i was going to rugby tackle it :laugh:

Anyway in the end the doe did not need rugby tackled as the 80lb deerhound x soon put a means to an end... :thumbs:

• Like 1