Strong Rabbiting Dogs.

Through the summer I've been giving a lot of thought to how my running and ground has changed recently. The stony ground around here has taken its toll on my oldest dog. Hes been used as a rabbiting dog as that's the only thing he's been any good at. He's pretty much retired now and apart from the odd weekend ferreting lives a life of leisure. I'm now left with a bull x Whois ok what I use him for but I won't be breeding out of him. I do have a handy coursing bred dog who if he keeps up th good work in the next couple of seasons I would like to put to a strong mooching/rabbiting bitch as like I say my running has changed a lot. I think a good solid frame and good feet can help reduce injury on the ground I run.

So what are peoples opinions on coursing dogs over rabbiting bitches ??

Has any body owned such a cross and worked them hard on testing terrain ??

This is purely thoughts here as my dog has got a couple of seasons graft I front of him yet but what I have seen I like.

Also I've noticed the fashion at the minute seems to be real racy speed machines. Do people still work stronger Less running dog looking animals ??

All the best.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a strong we rabbiting bitch 19 tts 44 pound decent feet and a very good nose

dont think so mate the mate went to cumbria for it heres a photo of the dam and sire

no bother mate i was surprised when i seen it chase and catch the rabbit the ground was rougth some pic for you

Posted Images

you talking about saluki x ? i put my rabbit dog 21tts beddy cross over a 26tts saluki greyhound mate kept a dog stand23tts not done great deal with it yet Was out ferreting last season with it the ground i do can be rough to and the pup got a chase over some rocky ground handled it no problem the speed the dog has is great so it should make a decent rabbiting dog

I ran few bred of coursin mutts bred to our field dogs for all round work. It a no brainer realy look at the combinations of breds out there you can hav there sure b a type to suit you. Me muka ran a very strong bitch 55lb odd 22tts looks look like a a pure collie a game keep even said if that walk accross me estate i wudmt take a second look due to build and look :) he got a racey bitch now and there no difference in speed running together and the big bitch comin back from injury. He ran her everywere South Wales to Devon and Scotland and back she ran everywhere Being a first x collie grey she wud of made a good bitch for lining if she never got injured but then were she runs it was alway a high prob she was gunna

f**k that was long haha

you talking about saluki x ? i put my rabbit dog 21tts beddy cross over a 26tts saluki greyhound mate kept a dog stand23tts not done great deal with it yet Was out ferreting last season with it the ground i do can be rough to and the pup got a chase over some rocky ground handled it no problem the speed the dog has is great so it should make a decent rabbiting dog

Sounds promising keep me posted on his progress please mate,

This is the sort of ground i run. Loads of ground and loads of rabbits.

58FCDEEA-3BB5-42C4-B8FF-0D4D73ECB863-102

One cross that looks perfect its the australian cattle dog crosses. A good strong build and intelligent looking. I wouldve thought they would be good for rabbiting in thick woodland ??

Edited by fitchet
  • Like 1

I ran few bred of coursin mutts bred to our field dogs for all round work. It a no brainer realy look at the combinations of breds out there you can hav there sure b a type to suit you. Me muka ran a very strong bitch 55lb odd 22tts looks look like a a pure collie a game keep even said if that walk accross me estate i wudmt take a second look due to build and look :) he got a racey bitch now and there no difference in speed running together and the big bitch comin back from injury. He ran her everywere South Wales to Devon and Scotland and back she ran everywhere Being a first x collie grey she wud of made a good bitch for lining if she never got injured but then were she runs it was alway a high prob she was gunna

f**k that was long haha

Any picsbof the colliex mate?

I aint Got many pic , think a few mem on here hav tho they seen her go to not to bad a dog good on lamp n in day no cover stop her . can dabel in a bit of everythin but made rabs easy. I think a dog like her bred [BANNED TEXT] a coursin animal would make summit very handy indeed day n nite

• Like 2