Up And Out The Door

Up and out the door a 5.30 this morning with Bob the labradoodle and Janos the Vizsla, filthy sleety weather blowing a gale up here. Pissed off and cold i noticed the vizsla who is really getting out in these big arable fields come on point. I Walked up a little bit with Bob on the lead and bumped the partridge up. Its Janos first point on partridge a bird i consider to be one of the hardest game birds to scent. A nice stop followed (Though not a sit) and a distracted recall brought him in for some well earned praise.14 months old and in many ways still a puppy but i felt a bit warmer after that. :0)

• Like 6

How should i exercise my dogs Hilly in the nesting season? I live in a tiny place on top of a hill surrounded by arable fields criss crossed by footpaths. Now i could take my dogs down on a 15 minute trip 3 times a day to the nearest town park. where i could let them run is that what you do?

I would just like to add that no nests or birds were harmed during my walk this morning? My dog pointed a partridge in the middle of a field.

I know what you are saying but that isnt the birds problem that you have to exercise your dogs.

Get the same argument from people with dogs bombing around lambing fields off the lead (not that im saying you would do that). You tell them to put the dog on a lead and then say 'i need to exercise my dog and walking on a lead isnt enough'.

As i say to them, that isnt my problem i dont force you to keep dogs.

• Like 1

Sorry did i miss the bit where Stroller said his dog killed the partridge and ate all the chicks? FFS he is walking his dogs, if they come across a nesting bird and the hen flys away as long as the chicks are unharmed she will be back before you know it.

This same site is full of folk out protecting ground nesting birds by the control of predators and we all seem to understand that this has to be done .I for one just think that if you can avoid disturbing these birds for a few weeks in the year this can only help the situation .To allow a dog to range over arable fields will result in birds leaving the nest and that's a fact .I know stroller didn't go out to kill birds and he didn't but I posted the comment to make him take a moment to think about what damage could be done and the fact that he has replied shows at least he is now aware of what could happen.Stroller you still can give your dog lots to do heal work go back retrieves( on paths )learning to jump etc etc keeps them from getting bored and a few weeks off from running exercise should show the dog it's not all about getting out and away from your handler and I doubt it will harm its physical development if its kept on a lead for a short while.AS always this is only my take on this post and not out to put anyone down. a.t.b.. oh and lab you didn't get the point he wasn't walking the dog .

Edited by hily

This same site is full of folk out protecting ground nesting birds by the control of predators and we all seem to understand that this has to be done .I for one just think that if you can avoid disturbing these birds for a few weeks in the year this can only help the situation .To allow a dog to range over arable fields will result in birds leaving the nest and that's a fact .I know stroller didn't go out to kill birds and he didn't but I posted the comment to make him take a moment to think about what damage could be done and the fact that he has replied shows at least he is now aware of what could happen.Stroller you still can give your dog lots to do heal work go back retrieves( on paths )learning to jump etc etc keeps them from getting bored and a few weeks off from running exercise should show the dog it's not all about getting out and away from your handler and I doubt it will harm its physical development if its kept on a lead for a short while.AS always this is only my take on this post and not out to put anyone down. a.t.b.. oh and lab you didn't get the point he wasn't walking the dog .

Of course he was walking his dog....what else was he doing? I walk the forestry with my dogs and they hunt up and use there nose like there supposed to. There working dogs and when the season is finished they need exercise mate and thats exactly what they get. And id bet my bottom dollar any hen that knows its egg stock is limited want be leaving a nest for good, it will return....... :yes::thumbs:

OK walking dogs = at heal or on the lead. Exercising= dog let it run about and hunt (your words not mine) . Not talking about keeping the dogs at heal for months mate just a month wile nesting season is at its highest in areas where ground nesting birds are likely to be found. you say you exercise in forest blocks so it's unlikely you will come across a nest site and to me that's ok but you do know what Iam on about running dogs in fields without thinking.

How should i exercise my dogs Hilly in the nesting season? I live in a tiny place on top of a hill surrounded by arable fields criss crossed by footpaths. Now i could take my dogs down on a 15 minute trip 3 times a day to the nearest town park. where i could let them run is that what you do?

I would just like to add that no nests or birds were harmed during my walk this morning? My dog pointed a partridge in the middle of a field.

I keep a young springer pup mainly cos it compliment the birds I keep, however my pack are saluki lurchers and lurchers, these sort of dogs all neeed to spend time inthe foield as young ones, learning the ropes, ffs no one could resopnably expect to keep a youhng working dog happyand watch it learn and develop in the local park, I do not expect out my springer whaat you field trial and pointing boys expect all as I require is that she ius staedy with the bird comes back, hunts resonably in ordeer and is under control, now I simply ecept things you lads cannot as most my sprt is solo or in pairs with othe rlads who do same not public etc, but well doen stroller I love these morning when we can let pusp of the lead with workers and let em enjoy the freedom to hunt about with no pressure its waht makes the differnece coem the winter,, young dogs liek young quarry are always lost/spoiled natures way of compensating is large litters

btw do you walk the fields that over look 'little chicago' ?

Edited by arcticgun

OK walking dogs = at heal or on the lead. Exercising= dog let it run about and hunt (your words not mine) . Not talking about keeping the dogs at heal for months mate just a month wile nesting season is at its highest in areas where ground nesting birds are likely to be found. you say you exercise in forest blocks so it's unlikely you will come across a nest site and to me that's ok but you do know what Iam on about running dogs in fields without thinking.

Fair enough mate I see what your saying. I think we are talking about 2 different types of dog here. Of course an unruly dog charging about the country side try to catch every bird in sight is silly, I do however think a working gundog on point is slightly different.

Atb

just had a nice morning stroll over the moor this morn, and out of respect for the gamey and the farmers my dogs were never off the lead, i tend to go the way hilly is saying a little respect for nature and breeding times can reap rewards come open season