Bull Whippet

ive had coliie/bull/grey looked the part,i tell ya it was total shite on fox.would nt even bowl em over,nothing.my bull whip struggles a bit,but i only got him for ferreting,but things have changed and he gets run on all quarry,and he got a heart of a lion,recovers well,and i trust him everytime to find and pin,even runs em on scent if he has too.steady dog also,great with kids.

trouble is if you buy a pup and bring it up well,then it turns out not to do exactly what u expected but almost ,most people get rid and start a fresh,enter the man whos had 6 dogs in 5 years.its getting harder to find proper bullxgreys nowadays to much shit about,so fanccied a change.......would part with mine for any money

• Like 2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dont waist your time,, theres no way a genuine bull/whippet 1/2 or 3/4 bred is catching and killing foxes single handed regular!! there just not physicaly built for regular fox work!!

Feck me, you lads can blather on. All dogs have their limitations, whatever their breeding. So long as your satisfied with yours, just crack on! I think some folk should spend more time out with the

heres a couple of pics of my bull/grey x collie/whip/grey 22tts and 52lb, not the fastest thing on four legs but has the heart of a lion and prey drive to match, has her limitations but keeps me happy

Posted Images

Foxes had to be called as close as poss and 9 times out of 10 you have to get in to help dispatch.....get a bull x grey if that's your bag.

Not all bull whips are APBT x

i have lost track of the amount of bull/grey xs that make it look hard work or wont do them unless they have back up-yet ive seen the 21/23 tts whippet/grey/sal swim the river and drop them for fun-infact smash anything with teeth-my mate had a coll/whip/grey dog 22 tts that would also smash anything that wanted a fight-some of the best dogs with the biggest heart are the little uns ;) imo.atb
Fair play but imo bull x whips are hardly 200yrd slip merchants are they and some can't finish the job without help which was my point,I like bull x whips and the few that I've seen have done there job well but they have there limitations.

There'll always be exceptions to the rule though.

As soon as you add any bull to the mix you can forget 200 yard slips. LOL!!!!

There's a lot of dogs that can't finish the job quickly without help, regardless of breeding. I don't mean a dog that's left to it's own devices and slowly chews away or has a throat hold for 5 minutes, I mean a dog that hits hard and shakes enough that by the time you get there, there's nothing for you to do.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have to give that hairy beast of yours a chance that's why I count to 5 before I slip ;)

I like a dog to finish the job off with the minimum fuss and noise can't be doing with dragging it out.

If you counted to 5 he'd be on his way back and it'd all be over!
Just because I stutter!!!!!...........and I'm not playing snap with you for cash anymore :)

Just a question, how many people commenting on this thread have actually been out and seen what these dogs can actually do with their own eyes ? Not just the 1 that you saw once that didn't quite perform for you, but regularly been out and have the knowledge to put your 2 pence worth in :hmm:

Just a question, how many people commenting on this thread have actually been out and seen what these dogs can actually do with their own eyes ? Not just the 1 that you saw once that didn't quite perform for you, but regularly been out and have the knowledge to put your 2 pence worth in :hmm:

Ive been out and watched a couple from a litter of first crosses that i bred a few years back and they didnt excel at anything and both parents were very well bred and both were more than competent at their jobs.And ive seen a couple from one of the more famous lines and they were even worse.I bred a litter with the best intentions but realised id done a wrongun and from what ive benn told the fella whos probably bred more than anyone has given up on them but i suppose it depends what your standards are and what you expect from a bull bred lurcher.

Fair play bud, at least by the sounds of things you know what your talking about :thumbs: I just as many people answer a lot of other peoples threads without the knowledge to back it up ;)

Im not saying they couldnt catch the odd fox around cover or a couple of rabbits on snaggy ground but none of them were in the same leage as either of my bull/geyhound bitches i had and they were only smallish bitches.

I've seen them run and catch things across fields and rough going terrain and also rabbits on the same ground. The ones I've seen don't catch 100% but if you aim and fire them at whatever quarry they seem to catch more than they miss :thumbs:

Personally think brains has a lot more to do with the mix than given credit for. Just because a Bull normally has the drive, if that trait carries on into the X then the dog wants to ' scrap ' more than learn that a quick dispatch is preferable ? Take a Collie x whip or something with collie in the X for instance seem to learn 1 way or another very quickly the ' technique ' to dispatch or hold the quarry without getting hurt. Where as a Bull X doesn't seem to mind to much to tangle ? Just a thought . . .

With bull x's im not sure it's not the lack of brains that sees em go in with a hold that makes you think "stupid dog why don't you get the neck or chest and finish it" as I know first hand bull x's arent stupid IMO it's lack of fear/self preservation. You really think something that's half bull is scared of a fox or anything for that mattet or cares much that a fox is biting him on the head ? From what Iv seen its a no

Some even seem to enjoy getting chewed up!!!

Edited by j1985
  • Like 1

trouble is most breeders of bullxwhips will tell you there not fox dogs,then you get a load of people slating em cause they struggle on charles.

Why would anybody breed bull into any lurcher if not with the hope of producing fox dogs.

trouble is most breeders of bullxwhips will tell you there not fox dogs,then you get a load of people slating em cause they struggle on charles.

Why would anybody breed bull into any lurcher if not with the hope of producing fox dogs.

cause pure whippets are a bit fragile of bone,im talking bout 3/4 bred ones for lamping,but 1/2 bred for terrier boys may be usefull around holes.