Struggling For Permission

Evening hunters

Im having a right headache getting permission. I moved to Birmingham a year ago from Shopshire and only recently after settling in have I ventured out to the local farms to try and get some airgun shooting permission.

I know the do's and donts very well. Looking smart. Polite. Offering my help. Closing gates behind me. All the usual.!

They just seem reluctant. I even went on a 14 mile walk yesterday and bumped into a farmer and gave him my pitch. Friendly enough bloke but still no luck. Walked half a mile past his house and witnesses 2 cows give birth. So I ran back down the path, informed him, he was over the moon I went out of my way but still no luck.

I don't drive so I get to where I need to go on foot. Always been a walker. I walked to Hereford and Worcester way as I live on the edge of brum but absolutely nothing.

Any ideas?

Why not try to get some ferreting permission in advance for the season to come and maybe once you have that as that is easy to get you can walk round a few times to get a feel for the place and suggest that maybe you can pick a few of with the rifle until the season starts...i think this may get your foot in the door and get you the permission you need as farmers are a funny lot

• Like 3

im blessed with having a carpet fitter for a dad :angel: he works in and around the pontefract area so gets to go on alot of peoples property and since my dads just fit there carpet when he asks for land its hard to refuse. so when i started out i got permission pretty quick. its starting to tail off know though havent received any new permission since november time. thats usually when i get the permission as people want the house looking nice before christmas

Edited by youcanthide...BANG

Some don't like gun...airguns or otherwise. I've had permission on one of my farms for nearly 10 years and he still wont let use an air rifle on there. Try using a different direction, ferreting, ratting or even moles. Once you get your foot in the door, give them some bollocks about getting more pests gone if you use an air rifle.

im blessed with having a carpet fitter for a dad :angel: he works in and around the pontefract area so gets to go on alot of peoples property and since my dads just fit there carpet when he asks for land its hard to refuse. so when i started out i got permission pretty quick. its starting to tail off know though havent received any new permission since november time. thats usually when i get the permission as people want the house looking nice before christmas

Ha you jammy git. You hold the keys to the fields their lad!

FFarmers are a right mixed bunch. I find some mindless plank head as scuppered the chances with each one I ask. I spoke to one and it seems I was too late. Someone's already nabbed the permission and he's not keen on anymore on his land.

I think Im gonna head down the small pest route ratting etc and aim for a bit of ferreting to get my foot in the door.

Thanks lads! Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

try offering them a day out with the birds one of my farmers were telling me him and his brother had a kestrel when they were lads HINT HINT but this was through last years moult so i couldnt offer him a day out. i know if i was a farmer i would rather have a lad flying birds than someone walking around with an air rifle, but i would say that, flying birds myself. all the best anyway bud im sure something will turn up. perhaps ask around the local pubs im sure the staff will know who the local farmer is maybe they could pass details on to him for you?

Good shout. Nowt wrong in going for a sup in the hope of meeting someone in the know. I've got 2 left Im gonna try. The one was rife with woodies, magpies and crows. The other looked a good ratting spot with 2 disused barns. Definitely worth an ask!

I know. I was surprised myself. He was friendly enough so I thought that would be the perfect gesture to show him the kind of bloke I am. But he seemed pretty steadfast.

Im gonna make sure I get across the fact that Im not a local nob head from the nearby estates. Im a shropshire lad looking to get out of the city and back into the sticks. I know the dos and donts and what to say. Hopefully I sort something soon enough because target practice in the garden don't cut it for me.

• Like 1

I had a long break from shooting and pretty much sold up all my gear for a metal detector but soon got bored with that so come back to shooting and luckily 2 of these landowners were from my shooting days and were fine with it but did manage to bag another small pasture site with a quick knock and invited in for a cup of tea with a lovely old couple who have many rabbits and could'nt of been more helpful and obliging plus I have a face that fits I guess, i think a lot of its in the way you look and they way you ask / speak etc but always try these little pasture sites with a few horses on they can be very good little sites to always bag a bunny or 2 ......

Good luck hope you find something soon,

Deano :thumbs: