MOLE TRAPS / POLL

27 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH DO YOU USE AND WHY ?

• BARREL TRAP " DUFFUS "
    • SCISSOR TRAP
    • TALPEX TRAP

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Scissors, mate. As I voted. Why? Because they where the first type I encountered and what I became used to. I'm not even honestly sure Duffus traps even existed when I first got interested :hmm: Either way, I just stuck with what I knew and saw no reason to change.

Scissors, mate. As I voted. Why? Because they where the first type I encountered and what I became used to. I'm not even honestly sure Duffus traps even existed when I first got interested :hmm: Either way, I just stuck with what I knew and saw no reason to change.

fair comment.... :thumbs:

by no means am i an experianced mole trapper, far from it but i prefer the scissor type as i find it easyer to check however the dufus pokes the soil up slightly when its gone off but you need to look closer than you do with the scissor trap and its even harder if the tunnel is deeper. however ive had moles that would just be trigering the scisor trap or filling it with dirt. theres no doubt a reason for this but i havnt got a clue so just swapped the scissor type with the half barrel and usually catch them. so i havnt voted as i recon it would be best to use both when the need arrises :) just my 2p..

i've used all three types, i started with scissor traps went on to use duffus and talpex, but in order of preference 1st duffus 2nd talpex 3rd scissor, the only reason between 2nd & 3rd is depth of tunnel, i still use all three types as i find helps in different situations, plus its nice to be able to use any type of trap.

Guest foxyforce1

I do use both but if i had to use only one it would be the scissor,its set in half the time of the duffus and 9 times out of 10 the customer can check them to give me a call to say theres a catch to save moving earth etc to check (and most of the time disturbing the run!)

Thats all very well, but these days it is not quite that simple, you will need to get it in writing that they are the authorised person who is going to check the traps a minimum of once in every twenty four hour period, and i think you will find that i am over simplifying the matter, if you dont get this right you are leaving yourself wide open to prosecution.

When i was starting out and a lot more naive i took this route, go back a week later and the customer says nothing has happened only to find rank mole in trap. :yes: ,

If you are going to do it at all, do it right. The rest of our livleyhoods rely on it.

FOXYFORCE 1, interesting point you make about the time taken to set a scissor compared to a half barrel, personally i could get two duffus set well in the time it would take me to set a scissor that i was relativly confident in, comes down to what you are used to i suppose. :hmm:

Guest foxyforce1

good point bout the inspecting the traps thing, i always go down within the 24 hour period anyway i just meant the customer can usually phne me sooner to say the trap has been sprung etc i started offusing the scisssor trap 1st which is probably why i can use it quicker but evey1 will be different i suppose