Bedlington Terrier

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a sweeping comment!   I don't know any serious bushing people who use cockers for bushing but a lot who use small terriers that kill heaps more rabbits in a bramble than a cocker would.   I

i don't get it myself, there's better options for bushing than a bedlington, they tend to hunt to far in front, they're famed for going deaf on a line, so trying to get them in can be a nightmare, you

i'm sure theres some out there mate but few and far between i would say but i keep myself to myself so don't really know. i was lucky 20 odd years ago to start with a good one but they're harder to ge

i don't get it myself, there's better options for bushing than a bedlington, they tend to hunt to far in front, they're famed for going deaf on a line, so trying to get them in can be a nightmare, you might need another busher to find your bedlington, some are mustard fighters, if working with lurchers things could kick off over caught game, being terriers there's also the risk of them dropping to ground unnoticed if running loose, terriers aren't for bushing in my book, save yourself a lot of hassle and get a cocker.

• Like 2

i don't get it myself, there's better options for bushing than a bedlington, they tend to hunt to far in front, they're famed for going deaf on a line, so trying to get them in can be a nightmare, you might need another busher to find your bedlington, some are mustard fighters, if working with lurchers things could kick off over caught game, being terriers there's also the risk of them dropping to ground unnoticed if running loose, terriers aren't for bushing in my book, save yourself a lot of hassle and get a cocker.

What a sweeping comment!

I don't know any serious bushing people who use cockers for bushing but a lot who use small terriers that kill heaps more rabbits in a bramble than a cocker would.

I don't know any serious digging men who use bedlingtons for proper digging and I know a few serious digging men.

What would a cocker do faced with a fox or munti it had a chance too grab? Not a lot, There shoot breed dogs.

My bedlington bitch hasn't started yet but from the country and game I work I can't see her hunting style being a problem from what I've seen of her, I expect a bit of obedience from a dog and that's what I'll get, I've got a bull wheaton x that I had from day one and she does what I say and there not renowned for obedience.

I don't see how people blame a dog when they don't put the time in at a young age!

• Like 3

What a sweeping comment!

I don't know any serious bushing people who use cockers for bushing but a lot who use small terriers that kill heaps more rabbits in a bramble than a cocker would.

I don't know any serious digging men who use bedlingtons for proper digging and I know a few serious digging men.

What would a cocker do faced with a fox or munti it had a chance too grab? Not a lot, There shoot breed dogs.

My bedlington bitch hasn't started yet but from the country and game I work I can't see her hunting style being a problem from what I've seen of her, I expect a bit of obedience from a dog and that's what I'll get, I've got a bull wheaton x that I had from day one and she does what I say and there not renowned for obedience.

I don't see how people blame a dog when they don't put the time in at a young age!

Where did you get your Bedlington bitch from Brocklebanks?

The best bushing dog ive owned was a Beddy,opened up on strong scent,screamed the place down when on,put the lurchers in the right place on umpteen occasions,over many years,her grandson works to the same standard,but is less vocal,which i find a problem with a busher.My old lass would follow scent and chase,i could walk away and she would soon turn up again,i got rid of one that was a tad ignorant and worked away and i had to look for it,which ive found is not the norm with the type i graft.As with any busher its a case of finding the mutt that suits your hunting lifestyle and sometimes adapting yourself to the dogs finer points.A beddy can cover ground and obsatacles better than the average terrier,work through the tightest cover,flush and mark anything that gives off scent and come to terms with and bolt reynard.Ive owned many terriers that could do the same,but not to the standard of a proper Beddy.

If I just wanted a busher a Bedlington wouldn't be my choice it would be a cocker x terrier. When's there on scent there is no stopping them. Could get you and themselves in alot of trouble.

If I just wanted a busher a Bedlington wouldn't be my choice it would be a cocker x terrier. When's there on scent there is no stopping them. Could get you and themselves in alot of trouble.

I can stop mine SK,can also control their direction and call them back,may have to raise the voice at times.

It's all people who try to maintain they are the real deal die hard digging only dogs that say they are no good at bushing from what I hear this could be 1 of a few reason for this.

1. You don't want a bedlington to be looked on as a dog to work cover in your own mind so you look for negatives and quickly write them off.

2. You enter them to earth work so they will be no use as they go to ground.

3. You are working fell terriers that haven't had their tails docked or half xs that you are passing of as bedlingtons, so in doing so its not really an answer to the question can BEDLINGTONS bush.