our dog is lifting up his back legs and rubbing his ass hole on the carpet. he's been to the vet before to have his prostrate (sp) emptied. i think thats what it was. the vet stuck her fingers up his ass and that was it, £15 please. so if thats the problem with him again and i can save £15 id rather that. any tell me if this is whats up with him and if so how to empty it :rolleyes:

thanks in advance,

maty.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its blocked anal glands (very common) Ive tried it myself without much success, my vet was very good at explaining how to do it but its obviously a technique i cant grasp :blink: I just routinely get them done when i go to the vets for other things, whether they have been rubbing recently or not and they tend not to charge then ;)

Socks is your man for asking, i know he knows but its hard to put into words exactly what to do.

MOLL.

Guest itallion stallion

maty you just position the dog between your legs facing the opposite direction , you then lift his tail and squeeze either side of his hole and drain the anal gland ....theres nothing to it .......... :D

our dog is lifting up his back legs and rubbing his ass hole on the carpet. he's been to the vet before to have his prostrate (sp) emptied. i think thats what it was. the vet stuck her fingers up his ass and that was it, £15 please. so if thats the problem with him again and i can save £15 id rather that. any tell me if this is whats up with him and if so how to empty it :rolleyes:

thanks in advance,

maty.

sounds like hes got worms dogs usually do this when the worms are irritating them and so they drag themselves along the floor to try and get them out and get rid of the irritation

Sorry MickC...gotta disagree with you there, the commonest reason is blocked anal glands, tends to be an old wives tail about worms (hence lurcherbitch saying it :11: )...if it were due to worms you would see them they would be that bad :sick:

MOLL.

Sorry MickC...gotta disagree with you there, the commonest reason is blocked anal glands, tends to be an old wives tail about worms (hence lurcherbitch saying it :11: )...if it were due to worms you would see them they would be that bad :sick:

MOLL.

thats the reason ive always beeen told molly i could be wrong but its cheaper to try worming the dog and if the problem clears up youve saved yourself another £15 at the vets

Guest Lurcherbitch

MOLL.

thats the reason ive always beeen told molly i could be wrong but its cheaper to try worming the dog and if the problem clears up youve saved yourself another £15 at the vets

It's not an old wifes tail........i get dog's in by the dozen...no sign of worms on the outside, but plenty on the inside.........the commenist reason IS anal glands, hence me saying i'm sure he thought of that.

Me n mol are having a lovers tiff..take no notice :11:

its blocked anal glands and easily cured ....lift the dogs tail look at his arse hole and position your finger and thumb at the twenty past eight position no you need to squeeze in and slightly up ... this will need to be done 2 or 3 times to empty the glands completely .... some dogs find it slightly painfull but most are ok with it ... change the dogs diet and you shouldnt have much of a problem with this again .... i also agree that worms is an old wives tale .... the rubbing is because the build up of fluid is irratating and itchy .... worms are found in the intestinal tract and dont cause an itchy arse .............

its blocked anal glands and easily cured ....lift the dogs tail look at his arse hole and position your finger and thumb at the twenty past eight position no you need to squeeze in and slightly up ... this will need to be done 2 or 3 times to empty the glands completely .... some dogs find it slightly painfull but most are ok with it ... change the dogs diet and you shouldnt have much of a problem with this again .... i also agree that worms is an old wives tale .... the rubbing is because the build up of fluid is irratating and itchy .... worms are found in the intestinal tract and dont cause an itchy arse .............

My hero :D:good: :11:

MOLL.