Fishing For Ferox 03 & 04/04 2013

Eventually managed a trip up to Invergarry last week to have a go at catching a Ferox trout.

First of two days Wednesday 03/04/13, after good nights kip and full breakfast at Castle Hotel(very posh :thumbs: ) we set off to meet Peter Thomas at 9.30 am on Loch Garry.

Peter supplied all gear, rods, reels, lures and everything else we would need for the two days we had booked him (except sandwiches).

After a bit craic about hunting/fishing and our expectations of the day, we got into the boat and set off with the prospect of catching big trout.

Peter explained all the time what he was doing, how we would be fishing and of course what we needed to do to land the fish.He also explained the gear setup, reasons for his choices and then he told us how many hours of trolling were involved when seeking out big fish :icon_eek: .

We were trolling about 35mtrs from the bank and within a couple of hours we had first fish aboard, small 1.5lb trout, then a couple of hours later the next fish was landed - slightly better :boogy:

My mate Keith with a 10.5lb ferox taken on a blue Chinook lure fished within 5ft of the surface.

9d27225f-4273-49b3-9894-8b3c9ff37509.jpg

The afternoon was quiet, we had another fish of about 2lb and two fish missed. All fish taking the blue or green Chinooks.

Sunny all day with very little wind, not ideal for Ferox apparently but hey we weren't complaining. :thumbs:

Second day was overcast, a bit windy and a lot colder. Needed a good breakfast after the previous nights drink :whistling: then again met Peter at same place 9.30am and off for another session.

After trolling the previous days hotspot for an hour or so and with one missed take, the ghillie decided to take us over another drop-off he knew and bang, into another good fish.

It's great to see a ferox run line of the reel at speed and my mate was hanging on. It gets a bit tense once the fish gets close to the boat, a lot of fish are lost at this point when the boat spooks them and the nerves were starting to tell as my mate's leg was starting to twitch and shake :D (good Elvis impersonation :yes: ). Peter giving advice all the while helping Keith to land this :boogy:

Not quite as big as previous day but no complaints from us, 9.75lb.

7b320b2b-0867-4ee5-839a-a926ae9a303c.jpg

Caught another three fish later that morning up to 3lbs but the afternoon didn't produce despite every effort from the ghillie to find them.All but one of the takes were on blue or green Chinooks taken fairly shallow. We did troll deeper but had no takes.

Over the two days we tempted 13 fish to bite, landed 7 fish, 3 lost fish :censored: and also 3 missed hook ups. Not bad for first trip.

We had a epic time in Invergarry and the ghillie Peter Thomas put us over the fish both days :thumbs: , the information and advice he gave us will be invaluable as we are setting up our own boat to fish for Ferox.

If anyone is wanting to have a go at these outstanding fish drop me a pm and I will supply his contact details.

Thanks again Peter from Keith and myself.

ATB Mick

• Like 4

Your a lucky man mick. Lovely part of the country. I used to stand on the wooden bridge(we called it the shaky bridge) when I was a boy, where the river Garry comes out at the dam and watch the salmon come out swimming backwards. Great river, spoilt a bit with the number of canoeists. The Morrison another cracking river close by. First place I ever caught 2 trout on the one cast both a good weight, must have been about 11. Good write up mate and cracking fish and a good time of the year to avoid the midges lol :thumbs:

great read mate.there a few good lakes in cumbria with in windamere is one i no ov and crummuck is another you can hire boats on both but no engine craft on the latter just row or electricmoter.i have seen people fishing from the bank at crummuck and catching them i think thats how to spell it the bigest ive seen from there is 15 pound half the fish was its head