Irish Hare Or Brown Hare?

Before the dreaded god forsaken ban came into control, i regularly attended the coursing meets both here and ireland. I mainly went to the ones over here in the uk, but enjoyed the ones in ireland and still do to this day over their. I found the brown hare, a lot more faster and stronger, then the irish hare, offering more turns wrenches ect for the dog, thus scoring more points. The system is different in ireland, its the first greyhound to get to the hare that decides the winner. For those of you chaps that use to course hares here and over in ireland, what did you find the stronger? In a interesting conversation at a coursing meet back in 2003, a chap mention to me that a lot of irish dogs get blown away when they come over to the uk, as the brown hare is a lot stronger, this also goes for greyhounds, as when it was legal over here, the brown hare was run on its own ground, unlike the irish meets where the hares are released in front of the dogs from holding pens. Their is open meets in ireland, but not as many as their were in the uk.

any man who knows about hares will know the brown hare is the stronger/faster of the 2 :thumbs: but put alot of dogs in our small fields with the irish hare and watch them get turned inside out :laugh:

the irish hare on its own ground is no mug ;)

• Like 1

forget lucas for once ffs,the topics about the hares.id be interested in seeing this debated as ive never encountered the english hare/brown hare.my mate tells me their bigger and faster.then again the land is totally different to around our patch.

The fields I ran the dogs on last season was full of ditchs rushes gates double wire hedges mountain land lol more gates mor electric wire shore rocks banks rivers Walls lol I was destroyed in thorns jumping through to see run and wake running all over the place lol but I enjoyed it and dogs done very well

• Like 1

forget lucas for once ffs,the topics about the hares.id be interested in seeing this debated as ive never encountered the english hare/brown hare.my mate tells me their bigger and faster.then again the land is totally different to around our patch.

It is'nt all just big wide open fenland over here jigsaw,there is plenty of hill farms with dry stone walls,, double barbed wire fences,thick hawthorn hedgerows etc,you never hear of lads catching big numbers of hares on the small land over here,not single handed daytime anyway

• Like 1

Drifter brother has a well breed birch there she about 6 year old she in pups good old breeding in her if your looking for a pup by time she has them I get you one pal,I send it over to you on carrier if you just pay carrier be no charge for pup only carrier charge or if you can get pup over a easier way I get you one they be very well bred drifter if they suit you pm if you like lad

No bother drifter that's sound,just let me know yeah they should do well on the type of land you run on,that's what I was thinking if all goes well she should be in pups so we see when time comes I give you pm see how you fare out low plain cheers lad

listen its like this around the north of loughneagh ther are european brown hares they are like puddy very easy kilt and around the same areas there are the irish hare harder to kill,when the brown hare jumps it trys to out run the dog and dosent go to the nearest obstacle as an irish hare would do,it really depends on the land get an irish hare on its natural ground at the right time of year your dog will have its work cut out,and the same with the brown hare on the big land were it thrives,iv run them both in ireland and run the brown hare in england and ther is a big difference, like i said the land plays a big part in it each species suits its own natural ground....

So what's a harder hare to run a very good hare Irish hare going to obactles wire tight fields,or a very good English hare in massive land no obactacles say both hares running in depths of winter and both hares top class what ye lads think that ran both ????Which is harder

Edited by captain2010