Help On Stock Breaking

keep him on the lead for now around any stock, if he even as much as looks at them give him a sharp tug on the lead and a firm NO, get him out as much as you can.

This works - don't forget to praise the dog if he goes through sheep or lambs without bothering them.

Mine is still learning but fine with new lambs jumping around 2 feet away from him. He's on an extendable lead at the moment but will come off that in the next few months. He's very excited by rabbits, but not sheep, but I wouldn't trust him not to chase if he was off the lead and the sheep were running.

Forget the shock collar - it's not necessary, except perhaps for an older dog. It takes time to stock-train a dog and your dog is only a year old. It's not a nightmare - it's part of your dog's training and you bonding with the dog.

Shock collars won't help bonding!

The dog is a year old, is big, strong and keen - he's past the sharp tug on the lead stage - extendable or not... :thumbs:

My dog's over two and a half years old. He's big, strong and keen too - twenty seven and a half tts and weighs over 70lbs. He's fine on an extendable lead with a sharp tug every so often - he's still learning.

There's no race involved in training a dog, and no prizes for being the first to have a stock-trained mutt. Lurchers are highly intelligent, sensitive beasts. If someone wants to risk ruining the in-built qualities in a dog by trying shortcuts (like with a shock collar) that's up to them.

I'm going at my dog's own pace - he's doing fine. No-one can generalise about what age a dog should be stock-broken at, because each lurcher mix can take different times to mature.

The deerhound X takes an age to mature - which is fine by me, because it means we have more time to learn the basics, and to reinforce commands.

A year-old dog is still young - hence why I maintain - no need for shock collars.

There's some shit spoken on here mind you eh????

Top and bottom is, if you are still needing to put a dog on an extendable lead for stock breaking reminders at two-and-a-half years old you have failed your dog and yourself big time...no ifs, no buts you have failed!!!!! And all and any lurchers should be stock broken when they are months old...no exceptions. It's one of the first things I teach mines - each and every one of them. By the sounds of it you couldn't guarantee that your dog would be safe with stock at 2-and-a-half- years old???? You've failed and you're talking shit... :bye:

Edited to say that your above posts could be the biggest load of shit I have ever read on THL - honestly get a f*****g cat will you...

Do you know much about deerhound X's then?

Do you really think that all lurchers should be stock-broken at months-old?

And finally, do you go through many dogs who don't meet your exacting standards?

Had less than a dozen dogs in 35 years - all grafted hard and none (bar my first ever when I was 16) ever given away, sold, passed on - once they are here they are here for life so don't even think about suggesting I go through lots of dogs... :thumbs:

Never had a deerhound or deerhound x but I know one thing just because it's a f***ing deerhound x doesn't exempt it from stock breaking at a young age...you really are talking shit now...showing yourself up to be really stupid with that comment...

And yes, the whole lot, bar none should have started the stock breaking process as soon as they are able to get out and about...no exceptions...ever...

And you failing to do so have in turn failed yourself and your dog...dogs look to us for leadership and you have simply failed to provide this for your dog...

Making a fool of yourself here.... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Like 3

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never read so much shit about training dogs in my life! Six months to stock train a dog, f**k me! should be able to do it in an afternoon! ok you need to be vigilant, with constant reminders but f****

Get back to your books mate! I'm a bit too long in the tooth to be dealing with idiots! And bye the way I've trained gun dogs and lurchers, I once trained a lurcher , just to see if it could be done,

There's some shit spoken on here mind you eh????   Top and bottom is, if you are still needing to put a dog on an extendable lead for stock breaking reminders at two-and-a-half years old you have fa

keep him on the lead for now around any stock, if he even as much as looks at them give him a sharp tug on the lead and a firm NO, get him out as much as you can.

This works - don't forget to praise the dog if he goes through sheep or lambs without bothering them.

Mine is still learning but fine with new lambs jumping around 2 feet away from him. He's on an extendable lead at the moment but will come off that in the next few months. He's very excited by rabbits, but not sheep, but I wouldn't trust him not to chase if he was off the lead and the sheep were running.

Forget the shock collar - it's not necessary, except perhaps for an older dog. It takes time to stock-train a dog and your dog is only a year old. It's not a nightmare - it's part of your dog's training and you bonding with the dog.

The dog is a year old, is big, strong and keen - he's past the sharp tug on the lead stage - extendable or not... :thumbs:

My dog's over two and a half years old. He's big, strong and keen too - twenty seven and a half tts and weighs over 70lbs. He's fine on an extendable lead with a sharp tug every so often - he's still learning.

There's no race involved in training a dog, and no prizes for being the first to have a stock-trained mutt. Lurchers are highly intelligent, sensitive beasts. If someone wants to risk ruining the in-built qualities in a dog by trying shortcuts (like with a shock collar) that's up to them.

I'm going at my dog's own pace - he's doing fine. No-one can generalise about what age a dog should be stock-broken at, because each lurcher mix can take different times to mature.

The deerhound X takes an age to mature - which is fine by me, because it means we have more time to learn the basics, and to reinforce commands.

A year-old dog is still young - hence why I maintain - no need for shock collars.

Top and bottom is, if you are still needing to put a dog on an extendable lead for stock breaking reminders at two-and-a-half years old you have failed your dog and yourself big time...no ifs, no buts you have failed!!!!! And all and any lurchers should be stock broken when they are months old...no exceptions. It's one of the first things I teach mines - each and every one of them. By the sounds of it you couldn't guarantee that your dog would be safe with stock at 2-and-a-half- years old???? You've failed and you're talking shit... :bye:

Edited to say that your above posts could be the biggest load of shit I have ever read on THL - honestly get a f*****g cat will you...

And finally, do you go through many dogs who don't meet your exacting standards?

Had less than a dozen dogs in 35 years - all grafted hard and none (bar my first ever when I was 16) ever given away, sold, passed on - once they are here they are here for life so don't even think about suggesting I go through lots of dogs... :thumbs:

Never had a deerhound or deerhound x but I know one thing just because it's a f*****g deerhound x doesn't exempt it from stock breaking at a young age...you really are talking shit now...showing yourself up to be really stupid with that comment...

And yes, the whole lot, bar none should have started the stock breaking process as soon as they are able to get out and about...no exceptions...ever...

And you failing to do so have in turn failed yourself and your dog...dogs look to us for leadership and you have simply failed to provide this for your dog...

Before you start slinging the mud, my dog is a rescue - I got him at six months. He's doing nicely thanks.

Deerhound X's just aren't fully-formed in the head until they start to mature - that's why you can't rush the training.

You didn't know that, so no blame attached for your "forthright" posts.

Never had a deerhound or deerhound x but I know one thing just because it's a f*****g deerhound x doesn't exempt it from stock breaking at a young age...you really are talking shit now...showing yourself up to be really stupid with that comment...

Before you start slinging the mud, my dog is a rescue - I got him at six months. He's doing nicely thanks.

Deerhound X's just aren't fully-formed in the head until they start to mature - that's why you can't rush the training.

You didn't know that, so no blame attached for your "forthright" posts.

Tell you what? Obvious you're one of life's idiots who shouldn't have dogs...so we'll leave it at that. :thumbs:

I have also seen the original poster's dog first hand and it's not going to be easy for him to sort out. Not going to be a case of a sharp tug/extendable lead and a NO!!! :thumbs:

• Like 1

If its only part trained at 2and a half at what age does the instantaneous response begin? 3 ? 5? 10? Unbroken to stock at that age bud is a fail and in that position I'd be asking advice not offering it , as far as im aware a deerhound or crosses are just dogs mate no different to any other.

• Like 1

If its only part trained at 2and a half at what age does the instantaneous response begin? 3 ? 5? 10? Unbroken to stock at that age bud is a fail and in that position I'd be asking advice not offering it , as far as im aware a deerhound or crosses are just dogs mate no different to any other.

Totally agree mate - some folk just shouldn't have dogs...they're far to smart for advice though... :thumbs:

• Like 1

Totally agree mate - some folk just shouldn't have dogs...they're far to smart for advice though... :thumbs:

I too agree with this a dog is a dog and stockbreaking needs inbedding early. I have a dog here that is good with all stock apart from pigs. A tug on a lead and a stern NO is going to do sweet FA .....

• Like 1

I too agree with this a dog is a dog and stockbreaking needs inbedding early. I have a dog here that is good with all stock apart from pigs. A tug on a lead and a stern NO is going to do sweet FA .....

Dogs that are shit with stock invariably have never been in amongst stock early enough in their lives (let down by their owners)...mines are 100% with all stock...we have pigs and hens here too...I just can't afford to have dogs which may let me down with stock...it's just a big no no!!!!

• Like 1

Dogs that are shit with stock invariably have never been in amongst stock early enough in their lives (let down by their owners)...mines are 100% with all stock...we have pigs and hens here too...I just can't afford to have dogs which may let me down with stock...it's just a big no no!!!!

Exactly matey. It was my fualt for not getting him around pigs when he was young. My mate has a dog that was never stock broken and its a pain in the arse .....

Never read so much shit about training dogs in my life! Six months to stock train a dog, f**k me! should be able to do it in an afternoon! ok you need to be vigilant, with constant reminders but f*****g hell! I've had 1st cross Deerhounds sit and stay at 12 weeks! And shock collars! any body that has to resort to a shock collar on a dog they have had from a pup should be ashamed of their selves! If you don't know how to train a dog you shouldn't be aloud to f*****g own one! Right now consider yourselves told off! :D

Edited by romany52
  • Like 5

Lamping man Joe is bang on I can take my pups and lab round sheep and I did exzact war Joe said but the tug on the lead has got to be at the right time it's got to work as done thiswwith all of mine and they wouldn't look they know it's wrong but I broke my dogs as soon as they were aloud out atb

Lamping man Joe is bang on I can take my pups and lab round sheep and I did exzact war Joe said but the tug on the lead has got to be at the right time it's got to work as done thiswwith all of mine and they wouldn't look they know it's wrong but I broke my dogs as soon as they were aloud out atb

That's the way to do it , done at the right time ,there's nothing to it . A good dog man knows what his dog is thinking before it ever does anything.

Mine were done after two hard tugs on the lead then let them of before I let I go of there collar I deepen my command and as they went of if they looked I told them no in a strict voice and they turned back same with every one of mine done in 20 minutes and they not even fussed and iv just done the same with the 6 month old pup I got yesterday atb

• Like 1

That's the way to do it , done at the right time ,there's nothing to it . A good dog man knows what his dog is thinking before it ever does anything.

Another good answer mate

I live in ayrshire my dog is 1yr old 3/4 grey 1/4 collie was out a walk last night had dog off lead he seen sheep there were about 50 or more anyway I tried to stock break him but its just not happening on lead he shows no interest but soon as he is off boom he's off he's not attacking them just running around or in amongst them chasing them is anyone close who can give me a hand or some really good advice he looked at the sheep last night and didn't even show interest at all that's why a had him off lead but he was off soon as he lead was clicked off cheers guys

Back to the OP. " he looked at the sheep last night and didn't even show interest" Wrong! if he looked he was interested ! You need to bollock him every time he looks, get yourself a refs whistle, while your giving him a right good couple of yanks, blast his f*****g ears out on the whistle. He will come to associate the whistle with the bollocking, later when he's loose he will come to think the whistle is a bollocking! Then you've created a means of bollocking him even at a distance, done right it's as good as a shock collar but without the pain.

Edited by romany52
  • Like 3