I don't see any sense in a malamatu cross but that's just my opinion.

However a Malinois/GSD/DS cross, that I like. Why?

Well you can find extremely good working lines quite easy. Everywhere on this board I read how important working parents are when breeding. Everyone with a few hours to spare could locate a great stud.

If you combine the right parents and have some luck (which you need in every breeding) you can get some very nice traits I guess from these dogs in your breeding.

Physically:

The dogs are very healthy and sound

They are very athletic

They have stamina to spare

They have nice coats

They have great feet

The Malinois/DS is quite racey/leggy to start with

They have a great nose

The lurcher you end up with usually doesn't look like on but looks like a lean shepherd which can be a bonus to some

Character/mentally:

They are very intelligent

They can be very obedient

They have a high work drive

They have a high hunt drive

They are great retrievers

They are owner minded and have a high drive to protect because of this

They like to please you, they will do things just because you like them to

They have balls

Several malinois and dutchies that are being worked over here are so fast of the mark and have quite a high top speed that only a quarter of Grey or Whippet might be all they would need, in a GSD x I think a half cross would be better.

If your lucky you'd get a dog that is not dual purpose but multi purpose. General tasks every lurcher would perform on probably all quarry currently legal and legal pre-ban, bushing, ferreting, rough shooting, retrieving shot game, tracking shot deer, guard dog. And several other activities like maybe ski-joring which I like.

The only reason I'd get a second dog when owning a cross like this is because I'm a dog lover, not because I need another.

Downside might be in some cases that you need to supply some of these dogs with a high enough work load. If not some of them might be a hand full for some people. This is not the case in all of them, the 2012 district champion in protection work is owned by a 65 year old man and just kept indoors, completely trustworthy with kids. She only switches on when she's on the field. Very calm and relaxed dog. Tried to convince the owner to breed from her but due to his own age he didn't like the idea.

Some dogs with a lot of malinois in them can be yappy and maybe finding a nice stud dog in the UK might not be as easy as it is over here.

Edited by Bossie
  • Like 1

The question was why would a pure mal be better than a lurcher at ferreting a lamping

I think you are getting confused between someone saying that they use the dog they happen to own for ferreting etc, and someone saying they got that dog as a ferreting dog. ;)

You don't need one for lamping and ferreting but they will do it and cross one with a running dog and it is a Lurcher.

Any dog that lurches can be called a lurcher regardless of breed

explain ?

If a dog comes up on it's quarry,and slows down slightly,and attempts to pick up it,s prey when it turns by cutting to one side,rather than overshooting,The dog has learn't how to lurch,this is the reason why coursing greyhounds dont get ran too often as they wont clock the points up unless they are forcing a hare to turn,rather than hanging back until the hare decides to turn and allows the dog a chance to cut the corner and pick the hare up side on

You don't need one for lamping and ferreting but they will do it and cross one with a running dog and it is a Lurcher.

explain ?

If a dog comes up on it's quarry,and slows down slightly,and attempts to pick up it,s prey when it turns by cutting to one side,rather than overshooting,The dog has learn't how to lurch,this is the reason why coursing greyhounds dont get ran too often as they wont clock the points up unless they are forcing a hare to turn,rather than hanging back until the hare decides to turn and allows the dog a chance to cut the corner and pick the hare up side on

:blink:

Edited by lamping-lad

explain ?

I think you will find that the definition of a 'lurcher', is any dog that contains both a sighthound breed and a non sighthound breed (or more than one etc). In comparisson to a long dog, which is a mixed breed running dog, made up of only sighthound breeds. I.e Saluki x grey.

Perhaps they were nicknamed 'lurchers' because of the kind of running style they tend to have.

Many meanings of the word 'lurcher' have been suggested: From the Romany words "lur" meaning thief and "cur" meaning a mixed dog breed, or from 'Middle English, from lorchen, to lurk, perhaps from lurken.

A lurcher need not contain any greyhound, for instance a Saluki x collie, or a whippet x terrier are lurchers. They need not be first crosses either.

googled