Move To .177

im surprised your still talking on this jandc, clearly your adolesence has shown...one because your stubborn and still talking complete uselssness, and two you havent grown up enough to either apologise or leave the conversation.

on another note, has anyone had much experience with .20 or .25? im really interested to hear how they are

Hello, mate. I've not had much to do with .25 and the little I did was a long time ago but I'm a big fan of .20.

I've always argued the toss before when folks describe it as the compromise caliber but I guess it is a bit really. It depends a lot on which pellets a gun prefers as to how they shoot as most pellets are a lot closer to .22 than .177 in weight. My HW90 loves H and N FTTs which tip in at a claimed 11.44 grains so they do hold a much flatter flight than a .22 would given the same power. I'm experimenting with Logun Penetrators at the moment and so far I'm very happy with those too but at 15.6 grains they're a lot closer to .22 but they don't slow down as much in flight so they are a little flatter than a .22 pellet of the same weight would be.

Hope this helps.

Edited by andyfr1968

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you hanker after the past, and that's where. .22 served well, why change? So you have to be more judgemental on range! Creep a bit closer. It's sport, not pest control. With progress we sometimes

This is a personal experience.   I once shot a rabbit clean through the sockets of both eyes with an FAC .177 TX200 and that shot didn't kill it. I shot another clean through both ear lobes with the

Posted Images

I know 177 over penetrates because once after shooting a rabbit the pellet when through it killing it ,but the rabbit standing next to it that I did not see also died when the pellet when into it also killing it.177 has no stopping power .

• Like 1

Well I had a look out with my 22 Exocet and was nocking rabbits down at over 50 yards easy,

I believe in 177 for feather 22 for furr

That old quote mat have been true years ago when air rifles "Were" low powered, when a .22 could and often did bounce off a crow at 30 yrds, and .177 used to be a bit less on the power stakes. But its different now, more power, same power for both calibers.I shot mainly .22 for 38 yrs but for the last 6 its been .177. I just prefer the speed,less holdover, and some one mentioned earlier that you can weave your shots a lot easier in the small gaps in the branches. no one has mentioned yet about power retention down range. Using a hw 100 in .177 and a hw 90 in .22 using 7.9 and 14.3 grn accupells shooting over a chrono at 50 yrds, both rifles doing 11.9 fpe, the .177 retained 7.1 fpe and the .22 6.9 fpe, average weight pellets i know, but very similar with heavies, with .177 being the most powerfull at range. The smaller .177 usualy traveling about 200 fps faster than a .22, retains more energy because its got less wind to contend with. and that does it for me. fur and feather ? crap, they both do it.

atb phil

• Like 1

I know 177 over penetrates because once after shooting a rabbit the pellet when through it killing it ,but the rabbit standing next to it that I did not see also died when the pellet when into it also killing it.177 has no stopping power.

But it killed both rabbits ! Thers your stopping power right there, Dead rabbit, It is stopped x 2, pretty good stopping power i would say.

atb phil

Edited by hunter100t

177 or me. I have used a 22 before but couldn't get used to the drop of the pellet. I use the old saying 22 for fur and 177 for feather

I use the saying, "use what you like, hit 'em in the noggin and they will fall over!"

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I ve both ,177 and .22 but prefer .22, the pellet drop is not really an issue both calibres drop. When you know your .22 gun you know how much to compensate. To hit a rabbit in the brain with .177 in the hunting field (not the range) is very difficult. But a hit with .22 NEAR to the brain will still kill due to impact shock. :tongue2: