Epilepsy And Shotgun Certificate

if i was epeleptic i would not be shooting, i would be devistated to find myself coming around on the floor with an injured friend lying beside me... you would have to carry that guilt a long time. dont want to be a kill joy but i hope you get knocked back

Has anyone had there shotgun certificate granted who currently suffer from epilepsy ? I was diagnosed over 8 months ago. The doctors are happy with my medication so would It be worth applying for one ?

Many thanks

Its under control though. I will phone firearms officer up tommorow and see what they say. Why stop the sport you enjoy if it is under control and the people around you are aware ?

I am not really sure what you are asking. The first post says that you don't have a SGC and in the second post you say "Why stop the sport you enjoy" have you had your SGC revoked?

Personally I would give up shooting rather than risk killing someone. Doctors are notoriously unreliable when it comes to most things, what happens if the medication stops working and you have a seizure holding a shotgun? I sympathise with you if your ticket has been revoked but better that than someone with a bloody big hole in them.

There are certainly people out there with epilepsy who have Shotgun and Firearm certificates.

Each grant is considered on a case by case basis and you have nothing to lose by applying.

The danger you may present yourself or others with depends on the type of shooting you may do along with how controlled your epilepsy is.

I would imagine the chances of firing a shotgun if you had a seizure were very slim as your nervous convulsion is more likely to make you drop whatever it is your holding which wouldn't generally cause a gun to fire.

One person I know who has a SGC with epilepsy endures what he calls an "aura" for about six or seven minutes before he has a seizure, so he knows that he has to stop whatever it is he may be doing.

Hi

A friend at work suffers from this and unfortunately he was refused his on that basis alone,probably not what you want to hear but im just telling you his situation,im not saying this will be the same in your case ,each application has to be assesed individually, personally think its down to how the person reacts when having a seizure,Terry knows when he's going to have one and usually managers to sit down 8/10 times but the other two he just goes down sometimes hard,I feel for the fella and anyone else as it must be terrible,he fully understands and accepted the decision they made,at the time he wasn't in control of it and I would honestly say I wouldn't have felt safe stood next to him when shooting,BUT now he's been fit free for 9 months and is fully aware of the condition I would be happy to take him along,in the eyes of the law he will be fit to drive a car after a period of time,so why not have a sgc if its under control,as I see it a car is deadly to a bus stop full of kids on a school day when a fit made someone loose control,where when out shooting there is usually,im my case 2 of us,ring and ask and good Luck,I don't like to hear that someone misses out on a good sport/hobby through a medical condition which is usually through no fault of their own,

Atb

• Like 1

a mate of mine had his fac and sgc revoked after a brain operation to remove cysts left him with epilepsy. The problem with it being under control is your doctor would have to back this up and im sure he wont do this, if god forbid anything happened it would be him where the buck stops. you have to go 3 years without a fit to get your driving licence back, so i wouldnt hold your breath .

Thanks for the views, its a year until you can gain your driving license back. Or signed of as medically fit

read here http://www.gp-training.net/pal/epilepsy/law.htm

Once your seizures are fully under control you can apply or reapply for your licence so long as:

• You have been free from seizures completely for one year; OR
  • You have only experienced sleep sieuzres for a period of three years.

The DVLA must also be satisfied that as a driver you are not likely to be a source of danger to other people on the road.

Put in for it and try mate if your no successful you will get your cash back . One of the guys i know had depression and got a shotgun and firearms cert when we went for him we had to wait while he took his meds so never say never

• Like 1

I would imagine the chances of firing a shotgun if you had a seizure were very slim as your nervous convulsion is more likely to make you drop whatever it is your holding which wouldn't generally cause a gun to fire.

my lad has epilepsy and when he fits all his muscles tense, if he had a finger on the triger the gun would be fired as he makes a fist with both hands whalst fitting..

• 6 years later...

Just looking through  his thread, and it seems that people suffering with epilepsy are looked down upon and not fit to hold a Firearms certificate, some of the comments made regarding sufferers of this illness appear to be misinformed or ignorant . The firearms departments are to look at every application "IN THE ROUND" I suggest that those demeaning sobs need to get educated as to how many different  types of epilepsy exist,  then look at yourself,  are you a sufferer of a variant of this disabling disease, not everyone has grand mal seizures and blank out instantly,  I suggest you do your home work before shooting your mouth off, it would of course  be wrong for me not to consider that you have some sort of autism that prevents you from thinking before you type,  and if you do, should you have a shotgun certificate ?

• Like 1

This is a very old thread dumbledore.

I don't have an issue with it at all and am aware of the different levels of the illness. I also know how it can be managed quite well.

There always some that are blunt and live in a wonderful world of black and white. Take no notice buddy and carry on.

ATB.

I don't think people with epilepsy are looked down. I think the trouble is more:

1. The dangers to yourself and others

2. The risk of having the gun stolen whilst unconscious in a fit. Unfortunately there are people out there who take wallets, phones and anything else they can from people medically incapacitated.

1 minute ago, Alsone said:

I don't think people with epilepsy are looked down. I think the trouble is more:

1. The dangers to yourself and others

2. The risk of having the gun stolen whilst unconscious in a fit. Unfortunately there are people out there who take wallets, phones and anything else they can from people medically incapacitated.

Shouldn't be in town with a firearm.

It's treatable and manageable. If it wasn't you would see people having a fit all the time! Hmmm, I wonder if my foreman is epileptic! I can make him have a fit at will ?