Ive had my 2 dogs on minced beef and tripe 50/50 alongside Gain which is 28% protein. Noticed a big difference (mainly in the small dog) in performance when i switched to this from just raw meat and bone but now the seasons over should i lower the protein content to protect the dogs liver?

Also my new pup is just under 7 months and 24tts already. I didnt know if Gain was too high in protein for such a young dog so ive currently got him on a 22% working dog biscuit alongside the 50/50 tripe and beef mince mix. i'm feeding him as much as he'll eat once a day.

Is there anything im doing wrong? any advice much appreciated

cheers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be feeding a growing pup more than 22% protein for sure...but for mature adults I always lower protein after the season finishes and add a wee bit more carbs, brown bread, pasta, rice etc just to

I keep my dogs on the same diet all year round as even in the off season we are out every day mooching for miles.   They will get extra grub if they've had a big session, usually in the form of extr

mate i just cut the high protein meal down to wat your useing about 21 precent and not as much red meat more the tripe they dont need to much protein this time of year unless ya dont stop lol

Posted Images

I'd be feeding a growing pup more than 22% protein for sure...but for mature adults I always lower protein after the season finishes and add a wee bit more carbs, brown bread, pasta, rice etc just to get a bit of weight on their backs again...

When grafting I feed Gain 28 and during particularly hard spells of graft I feed Red Mills Excel which is 32% protein...with raw meat, fish, veg, bones etc...but off season they're on around 20-24% protein extra carbs as well as raw meat, fish and veg and bones...

Mines do well on this regime...

Experiment a bit and take note of how your dogs weight, how they look, feel and perform - and tweak where required...find what works for you and stick to it.

All the best...Colin :thumbs:

• Like 4

Ive had my 2 dogs on minced beef and tripe 50/50 alongside Gain which is 28% protein. Noticed a big difference (mainly in the small dog) in performance when i switched to this from just raw meat and bone but now the seasons over should i lower the protein content to protect the dogs liver?

Also my new pup is just under 7 months and 24tts already. I didnt know if Gain was too high in protein for such a young dog so ive currently got him on a 22% working dog biscuit alongside the 50/50 tripe and beef mince mix. i'm feeding him as much as he'll eat once a day.

Is there anything im doing wrong? any advice much appreciated ye can get gain for pups upto 12 months wouldnt be a bad idea mate and a bit of tripe hard to beat

cheers

so theres a gain specifically for pups or do you mean just get the pup on gain 28? Want to do everything perfect with the pup, made some mistakes bringing my first dog on but he's still turned out alright luckily. Expecting real good things from the new dog though

• Like 1

oh right, ill get him on that then i think.

Thanks lads/ lasses, much appreciated

U can get stuff called Gain Puppy and Sapling - 28% also I think - and it's almost £20 per bag - a lot dearer than the Gain 28... :thumbs:

I keep my dogs on the same diet all year round as even in the off season we are out every day mooching for miles.

They will get extra grub if they've had a big session, usually in the form of extra meat, fish, eggs etc.

• Like 3

I keep my dogs on the same diet all year round as even in the off season we are out every day mooching for miles.

They will get extra grub if they've had a big session, usually in the form of extra meat, fish, eggs etc.

pretty much the same a varied diet threw out the year just a little less when season finishes

i would look at the composition before paying more for puppy food i found with ardent grange their was only a tiny difference in one of the vitamins so just used adult which i was using anyway.you can break up the kipple if its too big at first

I do exactly the same as you then when the season starts it only takes a couple of weeks to get them into tip top condition.

I do exactly the same as you then when the season starts it only takes a couple of weeks to get them into tip top condition.

Yep. Sometimes my dogs do more in summer than winter. Not working but mileage. Out with the kids in the sun across country parks and around lakes etc.

I can't be doing with putting dogs away for the summer and hardly letting them out of the kennel.

As you said you would spend the first half of the season getting them fit.

I hate that saying put the dogs away for the summer, my dogs will be out on long walks down the beech ect if the dogs can cometthey come, my dogs are pets aswell as workers and that's the way it should be