Puting Weight On A Dog

Iv had a whippet dog 14 month old he came down with. A fever he has been to the vets. And had an antiinflamatry and antibiotic jab his fever has gone now but he's dropped weight I'm needing to put healthy weight back on him. He's fed a complete food which. Is 22% protine and has chicken mince and rice needing more ideas how to put weight on him ta tom

Just loads of walking bud put a few miles into him with that food he soon put his weight back on

untill the dog has some body mass to put weight on or muscle how will walking it for miles do it other than may be increasing its appetite, Easy road work until it starts putting the weight on then increase its exercise to build the muscle

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 1

fatty minced beef/lambs back/pasta/veg and brown bread and honey, little and often rather than just 1 feed a day. combine this with good sensible exercise and he will soon turn a corner but it does take time.

My local dairy farmer gave me a Sh*t load of colostrum the milk that can't go into the human food chain he can't give it away they get rid of gallons of it. He feeds it his dogs they are fitter than a butchers dog. I've been told that since then not to over do it as they don't need it after leaving mum from pup but. My terrier was looking like a whippet he's Been on it a week and looking like different dog already. I'm going to give him what's left and stop n see if he keeps it on. Best thing is in this weather it can be kept outside without it turning into cheese. Only problem is when it comes out the back end you need a hose rather than a shovel.

That's the problem he's lost muscle content too what happen was I tried kenneling him out side before the snow hit. And when I brought him in he was lathargic and stiff so I. Exercised him more than normal then he went off his food in the end after about 4 days of him being bad I took him vets they gave him a jab now he has picked up and eating better I just need to build weight on him but he's always been a pain to keep weight on I don't feed him greyhound food its just a local working dog food would you sugest puting him on gain or redmill

little and often rather than just 1 feed a day.

That is the most important bit :thumbs: And finding the best food to suit the dog.

However it can depend on the genetics as to a dogs natural size and build, I have owned one of these and no matter what you did you could not change it obviously, worth bearing in mind especially with certain crosses.

Edited by Sirius