Salmon, Trout And Pike, Multiple Questions.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're gonna do some trolling on Loch Awe for ferox you will need heavy spinning gear and downrigger equipement to get down to the fish. The ferox dont feed on flies etc as the smaller trout do...t

Nice little setup that mate, the classic brings back some memories as well, wish I still had mine

You must do a bit of sea as well judging by the feathers.

Edited by Rabid

mostly sea where the boat is based go over to the isle of jura with it and fish fill my freezers with mackerel for the dogs and ferrets and myself just take the we engine of it and go to awe and rent a boat less hasstle can be good fun the boats :thumbs:

I am really into boats, have enjoyed sea fishing for years but last weekend was my first Visit to Scotland so did not take the boat, really wish I had though.

I did look at the hire boats, but they had very little equipment and were quite pricey, if I am up for a week or more it would pay to have my own as they do not hire when the is any wind, to be honest, they were not letting boats out last week, and compared to some of the sea fishing I do it was pretty calm.

I would be interested in where you launch for Jura, no doubt if I am up then a few days at sea will be on the cards as well as the lochs.

I am really into boats, have enjoyed sea fishing for years but last weekend was my first Visit to Scotland so did not take the boat, really wish I had though.

I did look at the hire boats, but they had very little equipment and were quite pricey, if I am up for a week or more it would pay to have my own as they do not hire when the is any wind, to be honest, they were not letting boats out last week, and compared to some of the sea fishing I do it was pretty calm.

I would be interested in where you launch for Jura, no doubt if I am up then a few days at sea will be on the cards as well as the lochs.

i have my boat on a mooring in the summer at the caravan park where i have a van there is a place just down the road at achnarmara think you can launch your boat there

Thank you for the replies, can't wait to get back and wet a line.

I have graham water very close to me so will look into some casting lessons.

Rob.

I was never into fly fishing till recent years, more a bubble float and fly man. But I finally relented and took it up and now I'm hooked. I've fished the awe many times, last was over 10 years ago. Too many idiots from glesgae for my liking :laugh: plus, a lot of good waters around. Since your an armature, I wouldn't be aiming for that prize fish if I was you. Better going for more realistic ones and getting resiults than waste a week and get heehaw. You like trawling and spinning, since you can't fly fish, my advice and one that will catch you trout as I've done it since I was a boy on many waters like awe, Garry, shin etc. is trolling the fly on a normal spinning rod. 5 flies on droppers about 5 inches long, a foot apart, no bubble or weight, the pull of the boat will let the line out as you move. Let it troll about 30 metre behind, moving as slow as you can and you will catch fish. Use light tackle 6 or max 8lb line and its great fun. Just remember the awe can be a dangerous loch, under currents etc.

• 2 weeks later...

i mind when i was in my 20s baw you could go to loch awe for a week at the barrage end and no see soul then maggie fecked it up every miner and steelworker fun oot about it then the whole world and its granny ...i'll never forgive her for that the auld tyrant..lol...its the only place you use a board without fear of being caught..lol..pardon the pun :huh: its full of them effin buckfast drinkers now..lol

i mind when i was in my 20s baw you could go to loch awe for a week at the barrage end and no see soul then maggie fecked it up every miner and steelworker fun oot about it then the whole world and its granny ...i'll never forgive her for that the auld tyrant..lol...its the only place you use a board without fear of being caught..lol..pardon the pun :huh: its full of them effin buckfast drinkers now..lol

Lol wully, I've boarded it too mate. Used to camp on it fortnight at a time. Me, mates, a dog, air rifles, was the dogs bollox. We did have the odd glass of buckie mind you :laugh: know what you mean though, you'd see them falling out of busses at a time. We used to board another wee loch over by cumbernauld way, you drive up tak me doon brae think it was called. Good bit for hares too that way ;) It was heaving with trout and well watched lol. Had those bloody wooden stakes sticking out the water to stop you boarding but we didn't mind lol. could tell you a funny story when we got caught boarding it but better not, its not the done thing on here :laugh:

Lol wully, I've boarded it too mate. Used to camp on it fortnight at a time. Me, mates, a dog, air rifles, was the dogs bollox. We did have the odd glass of buckie mind you :laugh: know what you mean though, you'd see them falling out of busses at a time. We used to board another wee loch over by cumbernauld way, you drive up tak me doon brae think it was called. Good bit for hares too that way ;) It was heaving with trout and well watched lol. Had those bloody wooden stakes sticking out the water to stop you boarding but we didn't mind lol. could tell you a funny story when we got caught boarding it but better not, its not the done thing on here :laugh:

the carron was once known as the best fishery in scotland mate , manys a night bubble and fly ,with a single maggot :yes::boogy: , and baw stop tellin the fuds where the hares used to be :whistling: nice place for a walk when the moors are down :yes:;) kilsyth used to be full a dog lads . not now :laugh:

the carron was once known as the best fishery in scotland mate , manys a night bubble and fly ,with a single maggot :yes::boogy: , and baw stop tellin the fuds where the hares used to be :whistling: nice place for a walk when the moors are down :yes:;) kilsyth used to be full a dog lads . not now :laugh:

:laugh: that's the name of it mate, cracking bit of water. It used to be red hot in more ways than one lol. Aye good areas for a walk too even for the whiter variety lol. But don't worry Benny, I know nothing about fishing or coursing, no one will take me serious, I'm an Internet hunter apparently :laugh:;):thumbs:

:laugh: that's the name of it mate, cracking bit of water. It used to be red hot in more ways than one lol. Aye good areas for a walk too even for the whiter variety lol. But don't worry Benny, I know nothing about fishing or coursing, no one will take me serious, I'm an Internet hunter apparently :laugh:;):thumbs:

:laugh: at one time you coulda casted you collie xs in and caught trout :D and further down the road ,before fintry there were always a few salmos to be had in the burn :whistling:;)