Maximum Range Of 22Rimfire On Foxes

Im new to shooting foxes and on speaking to my local gun shop they recomended shooting no more than 25-30 yards with the rimfire but ive killed them stone dead at 80 yards. Ive been told by others that they might just be trying to sell me a bigger rifle any advice would be helpful thanks joe

Im new to shooting foxes and on speaking to my local gun shop they recomended shooting no more than 25-30 yards with the rimfire but ive killed them stone dead at 80 yards. Ive been told by others that they might just be trying to sell me a bigger rifle any advice would be helpful thanks joe

What do you want anyone here to say??

You are new to shooting foxes but have killed them stone dead at 80 yards with a rimfire! :hmm::hmm:

But your local shop says no more than 25-30 yards.

So, if you have killed them stone dead at 80 yards why are you listening to your local shop?

And why are you asking here if you know you can kill them stone dead at 80 yards? :hmm::hmm:

Edited by Deker

post-10759-0-27035000-1363619999_thumb.jpg

This is 20lb.

It went down with the CZ .22lr shown and Magtech 40g HP subs at 100 yards.

Don't expect me to say a .22lr is an everyday 100 yard fox tool, I don't consider it is. You have to evaluate situation, circumstances, equipment, ammo, experience and confidence!

If I was going out after foxes specifically at this distance or longer I would always take a more powerful tool.

So, what is the maximum range of rimfire on foxes, it's what you can achieve, but it isn't a competition, don't start chucking .22lr at foxes in the next county!

• Like 3

Yeah thanks for all your advice I was only asking to make sure I hadnt been fluking it so far, I did think 25-30 yards was a bit of a wind up and just wanted to be 100% sure that its capable of doin the job as I cant realy afford for them to be running off as Im shooting around the chicken farms at work.

Ive been shooting the eley subsonic hollows at the minute and they seem to be doin the job unless anyone can recomend anything else? Does the magtech subs differ to the eleys at all?

Personally i dont take the shot ppast 30 yards with my CZ .22LR with Winchester Subs. I'm an ok shot but i'm personally not sue that if i even hit it square in the heart that it wouldnt travel out my boundary before dropping, thereby leaving me the issue of asking permission to go retrieve etc.

Hence one of the reasons i'm hoping to apply for something larger for fox and deer.

i am happy to shoot foxes with my .22lr out to 50 yards. 80 yards at a push or 100 with velocitors but only off bipod and if i know the range accuratly.

i think the .22lr will kill a fox past 100 with subs but it has to be spot on. i nver like to take these shots out of choice. the confidence isnt there after say 80 yards generally.

most of the time i fox shoot at night. for me at night, range estimation is harder unless i know the range is 50 max..

its more 'how accurate' can you shoot in the conditions you find yourself in ie light levels, shooting positon, rest stability, wind, stone wall, wobbly post, bonnet with engine running, hay loft, shot angle up hill down hill (more critical with subsonic ammo) etc.

its more dependant on conditions, and accuracy for me.

sunny day off the bipod prone 100 yards yes.

free hand, cold winters night 40 yards max.

some mupet at my old badminton club shot one at about 120-140 yards with a sub and luckly it drop on the spot. or so he said. it was on a summers day evening tho with no wind at golden harvest time. maybe he was just takng the jackson, i don't know.

i would say shoot at what ever range you are CONFIDENT with in the conditions you find yourself in.

failing that get a .223/22.250/243 and wath em EXPLODE! :tongue2:

atb

attachicon.gifDownload17.12.11 276a.jpg

This is 20lb.

It went down with the CZ .22lr shown and Magtech 40g HP subs at 100 yards.

Don't expect me to say a .22lr is an everyday 100 yard fox tool, I don't consider it is. You have to evaluate situation, circumstances, equipment, ammo, experience and confidence!

If I was going out after foxes specifically at this distance or longer I would always take a more powerful tool.

So, what is the maximum range of rimfire on foxes, it's what you can achieve, but it isn't a competition, don't start chucking .22lr at foxes in the next county!

:thumbs: + 1

And I bet that was a nice felling when you dropped that one at that distance, when all that practice and experience comes together to give you those special shots nothing else feels like it.

By using common sense and showing some basic respect for your quarry, im sure youl find a range that YOU are comfortable with. It doesent matter what range others are shooting them at really.

If you dont shoot at anything stood in front of the gas canisters which you wont be anyway, im sure your flo would consider allowing another slightly more forgiving calibre with a bit more oomph.

To be honest .22 is prob the most likely calibre to bounce up and hit one anyway......... :doh:

Some sound advice cheers everyone think im going to consider finding a new gun shop as the one im using doesnt seem to have a clue, and stick to shooting at distances im comfy at and maybe ask the question to get something with a bit more whack

I think you'll find that the shop owner is of the opinion that the humble .22lr isn't actually a Fox round,which although I have shot a hell of a lot of foxes over many years I also agree that it isn't a true Fox rifle,and he was trying to make sure as a newbie that you weren't tempted to take long shots,and I think that is a very sensible approach.Too many Foxes are running around with .22 slugs in them,so if you are going to be shooting them on a regular basis then get the appropriate tool for the job,and a fantastic round for the job is a .204cal and you won't get any runners either! Just out of interest does your FAC list Fox to be shot with the .22lr as a lot of forces(rightly or wrongly)won't do so.

Martin