QUICK SET LONG NET

As Mist Net says, if it works for you then that's all that counts!

I recall a time - jeezus, this was over 15 years ago now - when a certain Mr Whitehead and I managed to get a couple of long nets. At the time there was very little literature available on the subject, and that new-fangled invention 'the internet' was yet to make it's appearance to the masses. Anyway we fumbled our way through the 'traditional' method. However, it was obvious even to us novices that things would be much easier if the net was connected to the poles somehow before we got to our permission. We'd never heard of the quick-set or pre-set system in them days (if they were out there they'd never hit the most easterly coast of England that's for sure) so we had to come up with something ourselves.

In the end I got an old paper-boys sack (from the days when paper-boys were men who delivered broad-sheet newspapers not poncy tabloids. Hell, I remember my paper-round well!!). Anyway, I got this sack and, using some short lengths of dowel, made uprights in each corner near the strap. Then, a few more lengths of dowel were cut for the poles which were secured to the net. The net was placed in the bag and the poles laid in the uprights near the straps. Job sorted!

We successfully used that 'quick set' system for a good while. In fact, I still use dowel for my longnet poles today (before you scoff consider this: it's extremely light, easy to cut, cheap and flexible - it just isn't 'cool'!).

So, if it does the job then that's all that matters - although I would have used black insulating tape, blue is so last year :thumbs:

Crow

Thats a robust piece of kit, made from alluminium?

Crow..... your leg being in plaster cast has addled your brain :wacko: thinking about it it was nearer 19-20yrs ago now :icon_eek:

I do have a question for you though, how will you cope this season now your religated to being a cyber hunter?

( traveling at 80mph+engine sieze + getting off whilst in motion + sudden stop + mashed ankle=months on crutches resulting in older bro becoming a cyber hunter :thumbdown::doh:)

Edited by mole catcher

WELL MATE ,

IF THAT NET WORKS WELL AND CATCHES RABBITS ........ I CAN SEE NO PROBLEMS AT ALL !

MOLECATCHER ..... ONLY 19 YRS AGO ? ............ YER.... LIGHTWEIGHTS :doh:

GOOD LUCK

DUCKWING

Guest The Big Fish

Well i think its brill, very stylish :clapper:

Crow, you all banged up? I am sat here trying to type this out in a crippled fashion, i think i may have broken a thumb :icon_eek: it fecking hurts badly.

Looks like you took the stabilizers off to early Crow :whistling::tongue2:

MIKE, dont be daft, that was with the staberlizers left on.

what crow doesnt tell you all is that was at the end of the race, he lost and spat his dummy out. i think the conversation between crow and the marshals went something like this

Marshals'' there there sonny, you cant allways win" as he gentle patted him on the back in an attempt to comfort him

crow" its not fair it was my turn to win, they allways win, its never me" as he threw himself on the ground in a fit of temper and started to cry in an attempt to get his own way.

you see i know what crow is like, hes my older brother and he was the same as a child when i would beat him at something :laugh::whistling:

Edited by mole catcher