What Cover Crops??

the covers will soon be going in just wandered what shoots will be putting ,weve got to think about something apart from maize because it just seems to get bulldozed by badger or deer,any recomendation as what to use instead idealy something to last a few years to reduce costs?

On one shoot I help on we got kale tricacaily bit of millet a few strips of mustard and the odd turnip patch we planted some canary grass that is now coming up n this year putting in some elephant grass . A right mish mash lol the whole shoots is E L S for the benefit of wild birds in winter seems to do ok on it .

Hi, last year because of the poor growing conditions I had to plant kings winter cover mix after most of our maize failed, I took the chance as a last resort and I couldn't believe how well it did, I will say it lacks real feed value so you need to feed it heavy.

It held up to all the weather even under water at times the birds held well too, its really cheap and easy to sow I just spun it on top, I was told by kings to mix in utopia into the winter cover mix don't do this as utopia needs to be drilled to grow to its true potential much to my disappointment !! not a blade came up

you could use sorgum grows and stands like maize but not so easy to grow

at this rate its going to need a good amount of drying up before i could even walk across the land let alone a tractor to plough it up !!! maybe we should all grow rice lol

hazel will grow fine under hardwoods and when it gets to five foot probley third or fourth year you lay it by cutting a nick about a foot high and this creats ground cover for the birds to hide and stop them running through trim branches to let light in on the layed hazel if you buy cob nut verity you will have lots of nuts but you will have to keep squriles down its all a bit long term but i allways have plans for short term and long term and it will only cost you once allso plant the hazel in tree gards / tubes you realy wont get much elce to grow under trees christmas trees are ok but i think hazel works best

Cheers mate i was at the boys in our shoot last year to do summit but it never came of anything that's a year we lost when we could have planted we have a shoot dinner on fri I'm going to mention it again as its a waste of what could be a half decent drive!