im new to ferreting ... havnt got a clue about it all just got my self a couple of 6 week out ferrets tho so i need some nets and stuff to catch myself afew wabbits:D ... any idea's on what i need to get started and whats the best way to catching them ?... u can always PM me if u feel its spaming the post :this:

thanks alot

Kurt :gunsmilie:

Edited by IanB

Well you have certainly chosen a 'rabbit year' to enter the exciting world of ferreting...goodbye.. :clapper:

Why not give Mole Catcher a Pm and see if he can fix you up with some good quality gear... :thumbs:

All the best for the season,..kind regards,.CHALKWARREN... :drink:

Many years ago I was told by an old pest controller about a stop-net they used when ratting with ferrets. The net was about 12" high (set at 6") and consisted of 1 1/2" (knot to knot) meshes. These where held on short poles just like a rabbit longnet.

Can you make me 3 nets at 4 feet long, out of 3z spun nylon (you don't need anything too heavy for rats)? If so how much?

Cheers

:thumbs:

crow thats not a problem, but do you think spun poly would be better as theres no stretch in poly, well not as much as nylon.

How have you been finding thoses nets i made you last yr? you know the ones with the graduating mesh size, a mix of small and large mesh on same net?

oh yes, you have a pm :thumbs:

do you think spun poly would be better as theres no stretch in poly, well not as much as nylon.

Now you're just playing with me aren't you?

You know as well as I do that these nets were originally made of hemp and had a mesh of 1 3/4" knot to knot. Using spun nylon at 1 1/2" knot to knot allows for the mesh to stretch to 1 3/4" at it's worse, therefore being of the ideal size for a healthy adult rat. Younger rats aren't as strong, therefore cannot stretch the nylon as much meaning the 1 1/2" mesh holds them tight.

As for that 'graduated' net you sent me it looks like it could do the trick :thumbs:

Something else you may want to consider is what I call the 'split net'. This has one half (running vertically) made of 4" mesh (knot to knot) whilst the other half is of a 3" mesh. The idea being that in mid season the net is laid with the larger mesh lower to the ground for fully grown rabbits, whilst either end of the season the net is inverted allowing the smaller mesh to hold the younger rabbits.

A variation of the draduated net is to have a smaller mesh at one end, working out to a lerger mesh at the other. This is mainly used in short 'stop' type nets that are set at 90 degrees to the hedge. The idea behind these is that adult rabbits normally take a wider line when leaving a warren, running further from the hedge when moving down a field. The larger mesh is therefore set furthest from the hedge. The smaller mesh is set closer to the hedge for the younger rabbits. That way you don't have the problem of young rabbits slipping through the larger mesh.

It's a shame that the split net is often seen these days as they are a useful piece of kit when working later in the season.

Crow

Edited by Crow