Deerhound X (No Greyhound)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Half deerhound No greyhound

Thats how I am pretty much but I could never hunt my dogs in that kinda heat. They would most likely be dead in a hurry. But as far as the ground goes. I have never once even gave that a considerat

Not sure why you would want a deerhound X with no grey?

Posted Images

I remember when I was a kid our local scrapyard had a chained dog which was supposed to be an alsation/ deerhound.

Whether it was or not I don't know. With a lot of lurcher types you start with a leggy dog and take away the number you first thought of.lol

It did look just like what you would expect an alsation/deerhound to look like.It was never worked as a running dog but was a good watchdog.

If a litter from a working type deerhound and an alsation ever came up I'd definitely be interested-or even better a deer/grey/alsation grey from working parents.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, but why would a deerhound x collie be better than a deerhound x grey x collie?Yes, greyhound adds speed, but with that you get a more fragile hound. On the hill, a deerhound will outlast any greyhound, and due to being bigger, tougher, and more hard wearing will put more game in the bag.

Im far from the flat fens of Englandshire mate, Ive carried home too many greyhound based lurchers off these rocky hills. They are too fragile for me. Plus I dont need the speed that is needed on the low ground. To find and flush game up here a dog needs a bit of size, a good nose, a solid conformation, a good jacket is desirable and a tough robust body and feet that can run over these harsh rocky slopes. The game I hunt varies but mountain hare and boar are both common.

If someone bred deerhound/pointer or perhaps another gundog breed, that should suit my needs, I wouldnt say no to a deerhound/foxhound cross either.

All the best

Tusker

• Like 1

Yes, but why would a deerhound x collie be better than a deerhound x grey x collie?Yes, greyhound adds speed, but with that you get a more fragile hound. On the hill, a deerhound will outlast any greyhound, and due to being bigger, tougher, and more hard wearing will put more game in the bag.

Im far from the flat fens of Englandshire mate, Ive carried home too many greyhound based lurchers off these rocky hills. They are too fragile for me. Plus I dont need the speed that is needed on the low ground. To find and flush game up here a dog needs a bit of size, a good nose, a solid conformation, a good jacket is desirable and a tough robust body and feet that can run over these harsh rocky slopes. The game I hunt varies but mountain hare and boar are both common.

If someone bred deerhound/pointer or perhaps another gundog breed, that should suit my needs, I wouldnt say no to a deerhound/foxhound cross either.

All the best

Tusker

You should try the foxhound crosses. Use a big 28 inch lampin dog over a foxhound gyp. You wont be disappointed if it clicks right.