Rabbit Barrel Trap

Guest foxyforce1

good point foxy, im sure now they have been mentioned on here someone will be stood at a gamfair selling them in the near futre. claiming they invented them :clapper: .

then someone will copy them and do a bow back vertion :D or rig a basket up to carry them. :whistling: TOMO :D

:clapper::clapper::laugh: You have so got that right. :yes:

Guest foxyforce1

molemann.com was stating his mesh version as "another innovation designed by us" he never actually started doing it with a double door untill i mentioned it, great guy... :clapper:

Good link scuba, but i dont think thats what foxy force 1 was reffering to, i think the ones asked about are the cylindrical ones with two flap doors and one solid end that you use to shove into rabbit holes when ferreting on your own, you put them on one side to catch the rabbits and the ferret if it comes out while you watch conventional nets on the otherside.

There is some good footage of these in action on ed cookes rabbiting dvd.

foxy force i think you will find that you will have to get these made up or do it yourself as these are not an off the shelf item, if you however find someone who can or does make them to a good standard, please inform me as i would like to aquire a couple of dozen of them.

Regards MT. B)

Mole trapper, Foxshot in southampton sell the original australian design.Dont know any prices youll have to ring them. I make my own out of 14 guage 1" square weld mesh.You will need to get the mesh put through rollers to make it cylindrical. They are very easy to make once you have done this. I'll try and sort a picture out.

regards masterhunter.

Hi folks, does anyone know where i can buy some rabbit barrel traps? the type with the push door you can use while ferreting? Cheers

Foxshot in Southampton sells the original australian design. Sorry dont know prices or telephone number. regards masterhunter

here you are dug these pics out

pics110027.jpg

pics110004.jpg

pics110005.jpg

pics110006.jpg

pics110003.jpg

Tomo, liked the pictures. A german lad was in touch with me recently about some long nets, he belonged to a ferreting club in germany, and he told me they didnt use purse nets only barrel traps. I asked him the reason for this and he told me . That when the rabbits bolted several bolted from the same hole at the same time and it wasnt unusual to get three rabbits in one trap. They took two trailers full of traps when going ferreting.

I've made them and they were very usefull, but found they took up a lot of space in the vehicle. ( also you cant get many in your net bag)

regards masterhunter

by the way have any of you fellows ever used them when not ferreting.

in other words just set them in holes like a regular trap.

i cant see it being very efective but just wondered if any one had treid

Has anyone got a close up picture of the door mechanism and how it works? Also would they work with a sack or something on them instead of wire so they would be easier to carry etc? Just out of interest really, I think they would be a pain for me coz if this hob of mine got in there with a few rabits i'd probably have to leave him to it coz he'd be a tad too excited making a blood bath to be picked up :icon_eek:

Cheers, gnipper

Guest foxyforce1

Ive used the trap just as a live catch when not ferreting on fencelines or where there coming through a fence but havent caught a single rabbit, definitely come onto there own when ferreting though,just wish they were more widely available!!! :hmm: