Lurcher Breeds

Having growen up with running dogs last year i felt the urge and took the plung on a lurcher i opted for a beddyxwhippet three quarter on the whippet side so the dog would have plenty of pace after a light season with the dog more of an introduction to the game and for myself also i came to the conclusion the breed wasnt for me faced with a difficult decision i sourced another pup with the intention of keeping the dog as although i didnt see a complete lurcher in him he was a very good dog lighting quick off the mark could turn on a six pence clean as a whistle stock broken and cracking temp/looks just ready for this next season however i just couldnt settle that the breed wasnt for me so i ending up giving the dog to a really good home knowing in my own mind the dog would this coming season be a fine lurcher however i have now hopefully settled on a breed that should suit me better however i now find myself having to start from scratch in the next season i was just wondering how many others have found themselves in a similar position.

Having growen up with running dogs last year i felt the urge and took the plung on a lurcher i opted for a beddyxwhippet three quarter on the whippet side so the dog would have plenty of pace after a light season with the dog more of an introduction to the game and for myself also i came to the conclusion the breed wasnt for me faced with a difficult decision i sourced another pup with the intention of keeping the dog as although i didnt see a complete lurcher in him he was a very good dog lighting quick off the mark could turn on a six pence clean as a whistle stock broken and cracking temp/looks just ready for this next season however i just couldnt settle that the breed wasnt for me so i ending up giving the dog to a really good home knowing in my own mind the dog would this coming season be a fine lurcher however i have now hopefully settled on a breed that should suit me better however i now find myself having to start from scratch in the next season i was just wondering how many others have found themselves in a similar position.

:icon_eek: And when the next one doesn't fit your complete lurcher bill - what do you do then? Give it away and get another and another and another!!!! Hopefully the dog is somewhere it's appreciated. I live with my dog's quirks and ebrace their qualities.In more than 30 years I haven't 'passed on' or sold a running dog - they only leave here to go to the great hunting ground in the sky through old age or injury. No disrespect to beddy whippets- one of the pluckiest dogs I ever saw was a wee beddy x whipp but if, as you say, you were looking fo a complete lurcher why plump for a beddy x whipp in the first place??? :thumbs:

• Like 4

Why buy a dog your not sure about in the first place? Think about what you want, what you need it to do then buy the appropriate dog!! It's not rocket science! I wanted a good all rounder so I just got myself a pup off a bedlington/whippet sire and a collie/greyhound dam. He's only a pup but a dog will only do what you ask or train it to do, so if he fails its MY fault!

What type of lurcher are you now getting?

i have a salukixgreyhound with a little bit of pointer in it should suit my needs at the end of the day a lurcher is a tool to be used for a job and i dont have the space for three it might sound heartless but thats the reality.

If a tool you want, get a gun. And a saluki x grey with a touch of pointer!? could do the job your asking, but I dont think your stacking the odds in your favour. :censored:

• Like 1