Anyone Made Anything With Rabbit/fox Fur?

just watching the same.........

Problem in this country, is that the 'PC' Majority think that the animal that your wearing has been farmed/killed for its fur...... rather than using its fur after its been killed (if that makes sense)

Its off putting that we have let our country get in to the state where its acceptable to waste a decent bi-product.

My other concern is that if the furs carried value, then everybody with the means would be out killing for money...... not really my cuppa tea..

shame really,.,..

just watching the same.........

Problem in this country, is that the 'PC' Majority think that the animal that your wearing has been farmed/killed for its fur...... rather than using its fur after its been killed (if that makes sense)

Its off putting that we have let our country get in to the state where its acceptable to waste a decent bi-product.

My other concern is that if the furs carried value, then everybody with the means would be out killing for money...... not really my cuppa tea..

shame really,.,..

Fox pelts did hold value some years back. In the late 70's we were getting £25 to £30 for a good condition winter pelt, but it didn't mean we killed them for money, even though it was a real big supplement to a young keepers wage.

Having said that, there wasn't the same amount of sport shooters out there with moderated HV rifles.

It does seem a real shame to waste fox pelts when they are such quality at this time.

Just sat here watching "Yukon men" on Discovery, trapping for fur. There all wearing real fur gear while hunting... Anyone made anything with rabbit or fox pelts? id be interested in having ago if its possible and with some advice...........Might not wear it thou :D

Been trying to get a bit of deer skin to cover my knive sheaf .. Made same thing from rabbit skin in past :)

• Like 1

I have the pelt of a dog fox i shot a couple of years ago a friend of mine 'tanned' it for me. He did a good job but the pelt does shrink slightly during the tanning process.

Hi bud. Do you know exactly how he did it?

I have tried alsorts with both rabbit hare and deer skins, using, saltpetre, borax, tbags, oak bark, etc, and i can never get them completly soft at the end of the process.

I have heard the red indians used to chew the hides :laugh::laugh:

I have the pelt of a dog fox i shot a couple of years ago a friend of mine 'tanned' it for me. He did a good job but the pelt does shrink slightly during the tanning process.

I have tried alsorts with both rabbit hare and deer skins, using, saltpetre, borax, tbags, oak bark, etc, and i can never get them completly soft at the end of the process.

I just used salt nd scraped it off with any skin .. no expert but I moved it every day for a weeks and re salted it ,,

I just used salt nd scraped it off with any skin .. no expert but I moved it every day for a weeks and re salted it ,,

Did they dry quite soft and supple though Micckey?

Brains does work, milegago is the expert i believe.

I've done both fox and deer skins using the bicarb and diesel method, gives a lovely white finish but not supple enough to use in clothing. It might be possible to work it to make it supple but as mine are rugs i didnt bother.

Brains does work, milegago is the expert i believe.

I've done both fox and deer skins using the bicarb and diesel method, gives a lovely white finish but not supple enough to use in clothing. It might be possible to work it to make it supple but as mine are rugs i didnt bother.

Thanks Tyla. Excuse my ignorance but what is the bicarbonate and diesel method?

Did they dry quite soft and supple though Micckey?

It was years ago. I moved it about didnt let it set stiff scrapped it then re salted it, If you leave them too long they set rock hard ... :cray: