Learning Holdovers?

Hi De Hi

Please note: THIS IS NOT A QUESTION ABOUT WHICH CALIBER IS BETTER just a query about learning holdover.

I'm something of a novice and have been shooting at a single distance for a while and getting good groups. Decided its time I learnt my holdovers for my .177 air gun. Does anyone here use holdovers on both calibers .177 and .22 or would that be somewhat confusing. Is it best to stick to one caliber, or at least learn the holdovers on a single caliber at a time.

I'm thinking that I'd maybe use my .177 for some hft target but would like to use .22 for vermin.

Any other tips for learning holdover greatly appreciated.

atb

David

I put paper targets out at 15 to 50 yrds, at 5 yrds intervals. Zero at 30 yrds, so it hits smack on the cross hairs, then shoot at the other targets to get to know the different hold over, or hold under, that each different distance needs. I use an AirArms S410 in .22. I also have two CZ 452's, one .22lr the other a 17HMR. I use the same technique on these guns, i just use greater distance between targets. One of the most important things is to know distance, like how far away a target actually is. When walking down the road I'll try and guess how far it is to a lamp post. I'm pretty much spot on when pacing out a distance, 1 pace is a yard. You soon get the hang of it, and once you know how far something is, and where to put the cross hair at the distance, you'll have no problem.

• Like 1

5 yard interveils from 0-55 yards, may as well learn um all instead of finding out later you cant hit jack shit at 5 yards lol!!

the caliber thing..learn the 177 first...then put it away and learn the .22 (presuming you have 2 guns already). then change your kighting condisions, e.g. feild wood..half both..night or day.

point A either cal will do eather job..if you can hit it! makes diddly squot.

now then, 'learning a .22 or .177' tragectory? yu cant with out the gun scope set up, because even amoungst the same caliber there a difference between makes, pellets weights, scope heights and powers..

download chairgun...its free and you'll see.

It's amazing how some people still believe that .177 just isn't a hunting caliber, I walked into my local gunship the other day and the guy behind the counter actually said the words "we don't stock anything other than flat head rounds for .177 because it can't be used for hunting".........I turned around and walked out

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, I'll stick with .177 for now till I've got the hang of it.

It's not that I don't think .177 is a hunting caliber, but the rats I've shot do a dance with the nerves twitching and all. Upon examination they have been shot straight through the head, generally just behind the ear from the side. I don't want to alarm my wife or any neighbours who may be able to see the end of my garden from their upstairs window, and read somewhere that the impact of .22 is more likely to have a "switch off" effect without the dance, hence the more to .22 maybe? Is this true?

damn 177 for paper, knew i was doing it rong lolol

Craig, donkies years ago 177 were 'tuned' to 9.5 fp's for targetting,.22's were 10.5fp's for hunting.... some how the shop keeper has managed to evade about 50 years of progresion lol.

its the same size spring these days and all 'get yu port hole sorted' lol

besides it isnt the caliber guys! its the weight of the airgun mag advert that gets the extra power and accuracy, i though you all knew that?

:hmm::angel::angel: