Lack Of Game!!

Still decent enough numbers round here to make it worth while,

With the ferreting as the season starts to end I lay less nets and bolt more to the dogs, your bound to miss a few but that's not a bad thing if they're carrying... Most does are carrying now... Short trips with the ferrets and a few nets, and shorter nights lamping.... Had 5 last night from a walk of about 1 and a half hours... The dog was well run, I enjoyed it, that's good enough.....

A little stock preservation ain't a bad thing lads...

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I rarely come home with more than a couple of rabbits on my permission, be it ferreting or lamping what ever! My best nights lamping is still only 6 rabbits with my last dog Tilly, with Rue it's 4 rab

Dole money kept me in lurcher work for 7 years when that was my only purpose,i woke up one morning,the wife had left me and beggared off back to Belfast,the fridge was empty,the rent was overdue and i

i like to watch the dog working things out not arsed about the numbers game as long as the dogs run its best at whats there happy days.atb

It's the balance of time we are happy to travel but to where if most of the replys on this thread are in agreance where do we go? And where to ask for permission. I think high levels of mixy & a wet summers are the problem but also hoodies buying cheap air rifles or [BANNED TEXT] not and not understanding the cycles of life are also a problem. Didn't jack it in tho lads we still got the pack ;)

i have decided after a lot of thought thaht the only way to increase rabittt numbers in areas where they are in short supply is to go to high number areas and long net some then by mixing in new genectic stock the rabitts should make a good recovery.if you find a area with lots of rabitts netting some and dropping them down elsewhere is also doing the rabitts a good turn because a lot of the time high number areas get a lot of myxy.up where i live the reasons there are empty fields is one myxy two over shooting after myxy and three to many dog men.and four to much ferreting greed is whaht has destroyed many a good rabitt ground.but with a bit of effort the situation can be turned around

i have decided after a lot of thought thaht the only way to increase rabittt numbers in areas where they are in short supply is to go to high number areas and long net some then by mixing in new genectic stock the rabitts should make a good recovery.if you find a area with lots of rabitts netting some and dropping them down elsewhere is also doing the rabitts a good turn because a lot of the time high number areas get a lot of myxy.up where i live the reasons there are empty fields is one myxy two over shooting after myxy and three to many dog men.and four to much ferreting greed is whaht has destroyed many a good rabitt ground.but with a bit of effort the situation can be turned around

I don't think that would go down well with farmers, landowners etc trying to control the numbers....

Rabbits will come back naturally if your not too greedy on your land, some places it doesn't matter how many you take, they come back hard the next year...

Agree with NewKid.. You may also just spead Mixy and decimate a healthly population..

You should leave things the way nature intended JMHO..

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Im from south wales too and theres a few decent spots about but its 30 or 40 quid in the car and being on a apprentiship wage its a strugle guys but even if i go out and have 3 i wudnt care i enjoy being out with the dogs if i got a farm and the numbers are rubbish il go show my face and take 2-3 2 or 3 times a year then leave it till the next season 9 times outa ten the numbers increase

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely come home with more than a couple of rabbits on my permission, be it ferreting or lamping what ever! My best nights lamping is still only 6 rabbits with my last dog Tilly, with Rue it's 4 rabbits and an accidental canadian goose!!! F@ck knows what happened there! I have always been amazed/envious of the numbers some catch on here, but at no point have I enjoyed myself any the less, even when I blank. I'm just a simple lad that likes getting out and about, trying to get the odd feed here there, keeping my dogs and myself fit. I understand for some people it's a numbers game and also understand numbers need time to regenerate, but what happened to just getting out there and enjoying the mutts? Game or no game mine still provide me with all the entertainment I need and the will to keep at it. Not having a dig at all, just seems a shame.

atb Sniffer

• Like 5

I rarely come home with more than a couple of rabbits on my permission, be it ferreting or lamping what ever! My best nights lamping is still only 6 rabbits with my last dog Tilly, with Rue it's 4 rabbits and an accidental canadian goose!!! F@ck knows what happened there! I have always been amazed/envious of the numbers some catch on here, but at no point have I enjoyed myself any the less, even when I blank. I'm just a simple lad that likes getting out and about, trying to get the odd feed here there, keeping my dogs and myself fit. I understand for some people it's a numbers game and also understand numbers need time to regenerate, but what happened to just getting out there and enjoying the mutts? Game or no game mine still provide me with all the entertainment I need and the will to keep at it. Not having a dig at all, just seems a shame.

atb Sniffer

i like to watch the dog working things out not arsed about the numbers game as long as the dogs run its best at whats there happy days.atb

Edited by troter58
  • Like 3

Ive cancelled my pup due to lack of bunnies, never known it as bad, just got enough work for the 1 dog

That's a shame mate I remember earlier in the year you asking around about pups, you've a good whippet by the looks of your days out at least you can still work him to his full potential...