Terriers And Ferreting

i use a straight beddy. she is pretty good round the sets and works like a trojan all day, but best dog ive ever had [and ive had a few in my 40 odd years ferreting. Yes i know im an old barsteward ] was a half cross whippet/beddy.

Snap Robbo, my best Ferreting partner in 45 years of ferreting was a genuine first cross Whippet X Bedlington.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This Whippet X Bedlington, Would do everything a terrier would, apart from going to ground, she would work heavy cover, mark, quiet and steady round the burys. But the beauty of this cross, was she

Personally I cant see the benefit of a terrier for the rabbiting game.   The terrier attitude to ploughing into everything and using their mouth, just is not what I would want in a ferreting dog, so

I wudn leave the yard without my terrier, he can hunt tight hedges and when he marks he will just lye down at the burrow and be silent, i usally let him run the warren as thats part of the enjoyment f

Personally I cant see the benefit of a terrier for the rabbiting game.

The terrier attitude to ploughing into everything and using their mouth, just is not what I would want in a ferreting dog, so it would not be my first choice, even with the training of the 'leave' command they may respect rabbits in the nets but they cant really catch bolters as well as a lurcher so basically its a marking dog? Now if I just wanted a dog to mark warrens and maybe work some cover I would opt for a little gun dog, as the you don't get the tenacity of the terrier or the risk of the fecker dropping to ground in the 'Wrong' place. :yes: I still dont get the whole" Bedlington x whippet are perfect for ferreting" thing either, really? Most terriers at that's beddys included have terrier traits, so often do whippets, so is it really the best cross? I like a dog to be laid back, quiet, soft mouthed work to signals or quiet commands, and many beddy crosses I have seen ferreting have had the opposite of that, the best I have seen have been dogs with maybe a 1/4 of terrier/beddys blood flowing through their veins. I am sure they are exceptions as with all things dog related, but I just cant see the benefit of terriers for ferreting.

I love terriers, done a fair amount with em over the years,bushing, digging mooching but If I wanted a dog for ferreting it would be a lurcher every time.

I am not a big fan of too many dogs either round a warren two is my ideal, these days you see many people going with a brace of terriers and a couple of lurchers...which seems to often descend into chaos when rabbits start bolting and getting into nets.

Just my tuppence worth. ;)

Edited by Sirius
  • Like 2

The terrier attitude to ploughing into everything and biting, just is not what I would want in a ferreting dog, so it would not be my first choice, even with the training of the 'leave' command they may respect rabbits in the nets but they cant really catch bolters as well as a lurcher so basically its a marking dog? Now if I just wanted a dog to mark warrens and maybe work some cover I would opt for a little gun dog, as the you don't get the tenacity of the terrier or the risk of the fecker dropping to ground in the 'Wrong' place. :yes:

I love terriers, done a fair amount with em over the years,bushing, digging mooching but If I wanted a dog for ferreting it would be a lurcher every time.

I am not a big fan of too many dogs either round a warren two is my ideal, these days you see many people going with a brace of terriers and a couple of lurchers...which seems to often descend into chaos when rabbits start bolting and getting into nets.

i think ye tuppence worth is bang on the money, the best terriers i seen ferreting, didnt have a terrier attitude if that makes sense, the terrier i use is more like a spaniel in most ways :laugh:

• Like 1

Well that's the way I see it... :yes: If the best terriers are laid back terriers, feck it, go and get a decent working cocker or even a HPR and train it. It will work cover as hard, mark as well and the fecker hopefully wont drop to ground on bad places and you have less chance of having crunched liquidised rabbits if trained correctly. :thumbs:

But I guess if your happy with a terrier they are always great company, when not pissing on something, fighting it or trying to kill it. :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Sirius

Regarding using spaniels ive used them, great in cover and to mark, but very inclined to dig with excitement and would never come near a good terrier reading whats going on underground,surely thats part of the enjoyment of the game. But it has to be admitted they can be hardmouthed.That said you must have a line with good temperment, not hard headed.

I would get a beddy/whippet if I had the space but the dog would travel every where with me. So a small dog would be best. It would also be used for ratting.

But i haven't completely ruled it out though.

How big is ur beddy x whippet?

i have a little lurcher, his mother was 1/2 beddy 1/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound and his father was 3/8 bull 5/8 whippet, you can work it out if you like but he's a shade off half terrier, he made 19" tts, not much taller than a long legged jrt. its been his first season this season and i cant falt his nose when he wants to mark that is but hay he's still a pup really

atb bud

aaron

I would get a beddy/whippet if I had the space but the dog would travel every where with me. So a small dog would be best. It would also be used for ratting.

But i haven't completely ruled it out though.

How big is ur beddy x whippet?

i have a little lurcher, his mother was 1/2 beddy 1/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound and his father was 3/8 bull 5/8 whippet, you can work it out if you like but he's a shade off half terrier, he made 19" tts, not much taller than a long legged jrt. its been his first season this season and i cant falt his nose when he wants to mark that is but hay he's still a pup really

atb bud

aaron

Any pics buster ??

Ye i use my terrier and wouldn't be with out it for love nor money.Hes a 7inch to the shoulder Jack Russell.Hes killed rats,mice,rabbits,birds,foxes and stray cats on his own.Ive a few farms where the landowners dont like dogs on it as they have sheep and even tho my running dogs are stock broke and ive shown them they still wont let running dogs on(and i can see where there coming from if a big dog chasing a rabbit can easily scare sheep and if sheep are in lamb its a bad thing)but they dont mind me bringing the terrier as its not going to run a few fields lengths in short time after a rabbit and can be kept close by.If you do a lot of ferreting on your own a terrier is a great help marking holes,holding rabbits in nets till i get there in case im taking one rabbit from a net and another bolts or rabbits on other side of ditch to me terrier can go straight through the ditch.Even when i do have my running dogs with me the terriers good for in the thick brambles and holes where the running dogs cant get at.Hes great with the ferrets and will stay still when the ferrets are around him and lets them sniff him ,he has been bit by a ferrets twice when out in back garden they were play nips from the ferret and he didnt bite back i told him no and he just went away from ferrets(to my relief).I did when he was a pup get him used to the ferrets by showings him them letting him sniff,lick and nudge them obviously ferrets that were good with dogs and ferret kits and this is the way i get my ferrets used to dogs as kits let them do the same as which i did with the dog.So if getting a terrier when you've ferret kits around if a good time to get one for dog and ferrets.The only problem i ever had with my terrier is him going to ground after rabbits when im ferreting he done it 3 times and learned the hard way not to and on the 3rd time it sunk in and he stopped it.With my terrier most was nature it was in him from the start you just have to make sure he follows your commands and you get him out working.

Edited by NETS
  • Like 1

The terrier attitude to ploughing into everything and using their mouth, just is not what I would want in a ferreting dog, so it would not be my first choice, even with the training of the 'leave' command they may respect rabbits in the nets but they cant really catch bolters as well as a lurcher so basically its a marking dog? Now if I just wanted a dog to mark warrens and maybe work some cover I would opt for a little gun dog, as the you don't get the tenacity of the terrier or the risk of the fecker dropping to ground in the 'Wrong' place. :yes: I still dont get the whole" Bedlington x whippet are perfect for ferreting" thing either, really? Most terriers at that's beddys included have terrier traits, so often do whippets, so is it really the best cross? I like a dog to be laid back, quiet, soft mouthed work to signals or quiet commands, and many beddy crosses I have seen ferreting have had the opposite of that, the best I have seen have been dogs with maybe a 1/4 of terrier/beddys blood flowing through their veins. I am sure they are exceptions as with all things dog related, but I just cant see the benefit of terriers for ferreting.

Pretty much spot on post,i take my terrier basically because she sulks for days if i dont and she dont do any harm,marks the holes than grabs em in the nets,my lurcher gets the bolters and my terrier "helps" the retrieve

jp005.jpg

This Whippet X Bedlington,

Would do everything a terrier would, apart from going to ground, she would work heavy cover, mark, quiet and steady round the burys.

But the beauty of this cross, was she would regularly take rabbits on the open, she had the speed.

And also did a bit of lamping with her, for a couple of Seasons I worked her along with a pure Bedlington.

And on ferreting, pushing Rabbits from cover, she was the better of the two.

She was 18 inches to the shoulder.

Edited by Country Joe
  • Like 2

jp005.jpg

Would do everything a terrier would, apart from going to ground, she would work heavy cover, mark, quiet and steady round the burys.

But the beauty of this cross, was she would regularly take rabbits on the open, she had the speed.

And also did a bit of lamping with her, for a couple of Seasons I worked her along with a pure Bedlington.

Im sure joe she everything you say she is, a smashing looking bitch she is, and the big advantage with the lurcher over the terrier they will catch rabbit in the open ground. my terriers are no more than 13 inches to the shoulder making them more nippy around the warren on tight hedges . This is in my opinion the advantage the terrier has over the lurcher, more versatile mopping up on each side of tight hedges.

jp005.jpg

Im sure joe she everything you say she is, a smashing looking bitch she is, and the big advantage with the lurcher over the terrier they will catch rabbit in the open ground. my terriers are no more than 13 inches to the shoulder making them more nippy around the warren on tight hedges . This is in my opinion the advantage the terrier has over the lurcher, more versatile mopping up on each side of tight hedges.

I expect they are pretty quick on a warren in a tight hedge, but what do the rabbits look like after they dog have 'Mopped' them up? :laugh:

jp005.jpg

I expect they are pretty quick on a warren in a tight hedge, but what do the rabbits look like after they dog have 'Mopped' them up? :laugh:

depends on the strain of terrier some more soft mouthed than others,mine just hold the rabbits some bruised but the ferrets not fussy about eating them. Are all lurchers soft mouthed? :tongue2: