Rabbits With Young In

I've got a theory about this.

I think that rabbits breed all year round down here. When the weather is bad, or food is short the does just absorb the young. Get a warm spell around Christmas and I'm always seeing young running around.

Nearly every doe I gut is either milky or has unborn young in it, no matter what month it is.

Yeah young in them now, I've found it's only the first couple of months now ( sept, oct and a bit of November) that you don't find young, come Christmas and onwards most does are carrying down here.... Last outing we had 22 but the majority by far were bucks ( didn't count but probably 15 or so) the does had young in.... This cold snap may have a bearing though and perhaps some will be absorbed...

Edited by NEWKID

not really a good sign then lads eh

I would say it is quite a good sign mate, I was a little concerned when it never stopped raining that the rabbits would breed at all ( would they find dry warrens etc), everything seems quite normal we usually start finding young now, and this year is no different... I guess the key is not to be too greedy now, it's not a problem to miss a few to keep them going, leave a few nets off and give the dogs a run.....

That's only my view as its not my job just my hobby, I'm sure there are others who wouldn't want to miss one lol....

• Like 1

not really a good sign then lads eh

I would say it is quite a good sign mate, I was a little concerned when it never stopped raining that the rabbits would breed at all ( would they find dry warrens etc), everything seems quite normal we usually start finding young now, and this year is no different... I guess the key is not to be too greedy now, it's not a problem to miss a few to keep them going, leave a few nets off and give the dogs a run.....

That's only my view as its not my job just my hobby, I'm sure there are others who wouldn't want to miss one lol....

I agree with that mate i always leave a few nets off i dont want to

catch them all just enough for the ferrets food

• Like 1

its the same every year in my opinion. ive had young in rabbits in every month of the year over many years. it just depends on the weather before the snow it was 10 degrees which is warm enough for grass to grow so an aggressive survivor such as fluffy bunny will make the most of every chance to profligate the species. just like rats and mice if there is enough food there will be babies

• Like 1