Best ferreting dog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a whippet or a bedlington whippet ,just get the pup and tell yer mum you found it in a bag by the river or you heard crying from a bin and there it was

Posted Images

yeah a gwp cross.she was only taken ferreting for the first time last october,before that she was used for bushing,ratting,bits of foxing(not much) and picking up the odd shot bird.a bit of everything.

i only got them to run alongside the terriers for a bit of fun.i now wish id spent more time training her as she can be a bit headstrong and her retrieving isnt too good.still,this season might iron out those things,time will tell.

i consider myself extremelly lucky to now get invites ferreting on prime rabbit country every weekend throughout the season.

tess lacks the extra gears to be a good all-rounder but has been a very versatile hunting dog.

Edited by phil wright

we use the terriers for pushing out cover and for general marking up walls sets ect and they are worth their weight in gold to me

IMG_2732.jpg

an end of the season hunt the bitch marked all 55 rabbits on ground we had all ready worked

100_0153Small.jpg

no28.jpg

th_runrabbitrun.jpg

for the ones that slip the net the lurcher will have them

100_0018Small.jpg

100_0047Small.jpg

each type of dog has its own merits good points and bad points its what you reuire to do a good job on the ground your working that counts :thumbs:

Edited by woodga

:clapper: Good work there Woodga...

Like yourself,.I love my ferreting,... :clapping:

The terrain of this country is so diverse and varied that it is favourite to keep a dog that suits your game.

Recently I have found that a return to the smaller,..'whippety, greyhound, with a good dash of sheepdog style of jukel is the best tool for the job locally... :yes: And if the myxy holds off and allows the rabbits to become even more established,..wow... :icon_eek: it's gonna be a rare old time this Autumn.... :laugh:

All the best to ALL crosses,...kind regards,..CHALKWARREN... :drink:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
we use the terriers for pushing out cover and for general marking up walls sets ect and they are worth their weight in gold to me

IMG_2732.jpg

an end of the season hunt the bitch marked all 55 rabbits on ground we had all ready worked

100_0153Small.jpg

no28.jpg

th_runrabbitrun.jpg

for the ones that slip the net the lurcher will have them

100_0018Small.jpg

100_0047Small.jpg

each type of dog has its own merits good points and bad points its what you reuire to do a good job on the ground your working that counts :thumbs:

Thats an interesting look looking terrier you've got there Woodga. Don't think I've seen a merle un' before.

I always take my old lurcher with me he's a suluki/greyhound x whippet and he is the best ferriting dog i have ever witnessed he is good at neary everything but i have seen some very very good whippets and bedlington/whippets that would my choice if i was getting another dog mate

lurcherman :thumbs:

H&J as least your allowed dogs in the first place, i aint allowed one watsoever :wallbash:

same here mate the only chance ive got to get a dog is to move out or to run away, running away is sounding good at the moment :whistling: i was only just allowed a ferret, after years of nagging and getting my dad pissed :drink::laugh: