Rabbiting With An Ex Racer

Hi all,

As previously expressed, I'm hopefully soon going to be lamping with my ex racing greyhound. On doing some more research I've discovered that their seems to be very mixed opinions on whether pure greyhounds actually are fit for this sort of purpose. Given the reason that greyhounds are bred, when I think about it, it's easy to see why this could be the case. On the flip side, I've heard of people going lamping with greyhounds before, to what success remains to be seen.

So I thought I'd ask for your own views on this. Whilst I've had some very helpful and invaluable advice thus far (predominantly from lapin2008, many thanks), I thought I'd throw this one open for discussion. For discussion purposes, he is three years old and retired after winning two very meagre races. He is a little bit soft, but has got a bit braver and come out of his shell a lot since finishing racing. Whilst he was useless on the track, we love him to bits and I'd love to think there is still a job for him out in the field. Either way, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to be so blunt pal......but if you's love him to bits,then i would not run him on the lamp......there will only be one outcome,and it won't be nice ,i think greys could go lamping no problem,but

Just get out there and give it a go,,, just make sure he's stock broke,, especially up your neck of the woods. One thing you have to bare in mind,,, is hunting both day and night is a dangerouse occu

Heres my one. With her first ever rabbit. She learned to jump fences. Lamping.

Posted Images

sorry to be so blunt pal......but if you's love him to bits,then i would not run him on the lamp......there will only be one outcome,and it won't be nice :cray:,i think greys could go lamping no problem,but they would need to from a young age to learn,......i would not be so sure with an ex-racing greyhound ;) ,if you are determined to work him in the feild,i would try daytime first...and you will see what he is like with chasing quarry and running around obsticles etc....hope it works out for you pal :thumbs: ....atb....

• Like 3

sorry to be so blunt pal......but if you's love him to bits,then i would not run him on the lamp......there will only be one outcome,and it won't be nice :cray:,i think they could go lamping no problem,but would need to from a young age to learn,......i would not be so sure with an ex-racing greyhound ;) ,if you are determined to work him in the feild i would try daytime first...and you will see what he is like with chasing quarry and obsticles etc....hope it works out for you pal :thumbs: ....atb....

Some very good points made here! I think he does take him out walking in the woods and stuff already though so the dog has some exposure to obstacles etc

Above all be patient! Yes he will need time to learn EVERYTHING! From jumping over fences to the fact that ground in the real world is uneven etc etc. Also he will need to learn that he has to slow down and use his gears. He will also knock himself about a bit untill he has learned these things. BUT if you persivere you will have a f*****g good dog! I have one, i had many thoughts along the lines of "lets give up, this is never going to work", i became an expert at repairing cuts and bruises. But i did persevere because im not one of those c**ts who pass a dog about at the drop of a hat the likes of which we see way to often. And i am glad i persivered because my greyhound has turned into a serious rabbit taker. They are fast enough, big enough and strong enough to take anything you are likely to slip them on and with the right encouragement they will have the self belief to try. And believe me they do put their heart and soul into every run!

• Like 1

Just get out there and give it a go,,, just make sure he's stock broke,, especially up your neck of the woods. One thing you have to bare in mind,,, is hunting both day and night is a dangerouse occupation ,,,, and serriouse accidents and death are ten times more likly than you average pet dog

• Like 3

Sorry Lapin2008, yes as we discussed, he's not raced for some time and has been in plenty of different environments. I first thought of it when I used to take him in the field checking and feeding the horses and he used to dash of after rabbits but they were back in the hedge as he hot there, then he'd pace the hedge line for ages.

Sorry Lapin2008, yes as we discussed, he's not raced for some time and has been in plenty of different environments. I first thought of it when I used to take him in the field checking and feeding the horses and he used to dash of after rabbits but they were back in the hedge as he hot there, then he'd pace the hedge line for ages.

In that case, a run or 2 on the lamp should be grand, as long as its not rough ground ect.

Try and get him to spot the rabbits first in the lamp, if he has never been lamping before, before slipping him.

Just be careful, as said, lamping greyhounds can be a risky one, good luck.

sorry to be so blunt pal......but if you's love him to bits,then i would not run him on the lamp......there will only be one outcome,and it won't be nice :cray:,i think greys could go lamping no problem,but they would need to from a young age to learn,......i would not be so sure with an ex-racing greyhound ;) ,if you are determined to work him in the feild,i would try daytime first...and you will see what he is like with chasing quarry and running around obsticles etc....hope it works out for you pal :thumbs: ....atb....

very good advice :thumbs: