COURSING HOW IT CHANGED

I used to be a member of two coursing clubs in the legal days, old yorkshire and rydale, in those days the emphasis was on the competition between two dogs as it had been for a couple of hundred years, a kill was not the b all end all of the game, so when you hear the term 5 out of 5 ect ect, all sport in the coursing world based on kill ratio, did the sport change so much that people lost the grassroots of the game, and did it contribute to its demise, your views please. :hmm:

• Like 1

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

chart i respect your views my friend but single handed is the real test against the hare.not another dog

If it dont kill it then the quarry has out witted the dog . Therefore the dog is inferior to the quarry. We all love a good chase. But dont you think if all the dogs did was chase and not kill. We

and the strongest survive to reproduce . the way it should be

I think there has allways been single handed, where the kill counts; and doubled, where the dogs performance against another dog is more important than the kill. Just different versions of testing a dog. :thumbs:

The only thing that contributed to the sports downfall was "The Hunting Act, 2004"

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

imo the competitions were good for coursing showing people how it should be done. but the matches imo spoilt it with the onus being on kickups and who could kill the most hares,with the coursing itself and sportmanship going out of the window .

• Like 2

I think there has allways been single handed, where the kill counts; and doubled, where the dogs performance against another dog is more important than the kill. Just different versions of testing a dog. :thumbs:

your right what you say charts but on matches the slipper has a big say in who kills the most hares it isnt always the best dog that wins on the day .

Edited by boyo

its more sporting talking about 5/5 than running 2 dogs doubled up

But the 2 dogs doubled up, we are talking about, wasn't about killing hares; and 5/5 meant nothing, it was about testing the dogs against each other, not against the hare ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 1

If it dont kill it then the quarry has out witted the dog . Therefore the dog is inferior to the quarry.

We all love a good chase. But dont you think if all the dogs did was chase and not kill. We would

Take them out day in day out.we could say my mate has areal good dog it chases them hartleys

For fun its a real un.havent seen it kill one yet but by heck it can chase.

It even won the forley it chased 4 out of 4. Who wants a pup out of it.

Yes you can watch a good race the dogs run well but if you go home with nothing I aint smiling.

Of course its about numbers.

• Like 5

The doubled up greyhound type coursing fed off the betting industry of course. So that activity depended upon revenue from gamblers rather than hunters. Proper single handed hare running, on the other hand, was an attempt to evaluate a dog verses a hare......the fact that some of the participants also ran dogs in private matches on the side is neither here nor there.

• Like 1

If it dont kill it then the quarry has out witted the dog . Therefore the dog is inferior to the quarry.

We all love a good chase. But dont you think if all the dogs did was chase and not kill. We would

Take them out day in day out.we could say my mate has areal good dog it chases them hartleys

For fun its a real un.havent seen it kill one yet but by heck it can chase.

It even won the forley it chased 4 out of 4. Who wants a pup out of it.

Yes you can watch a good race the dogs run well but if you go home with nothing I aint smiling.

Of course its about numbers.

Snoop, every time I slip a dog on a hare, I want it to kill ! Of course thats what it's about , but I was simply trying to answer the origional question ! Of course matches and single handed running had nothing to do with the demise of coursing, The Hunting Act. 2004 was the single thing that banned coursing ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Coursing under national coursing club rules and. Lurcher coursing are entirly differant The ban banned both. The lack of action taken back in the 70s. 80s. And letting the anti lobby take control. Fooooked us the anti never had the bottle to tackle lurcher lads they just went for the waterloo cup. And its high profile. The end result affected every one. WE LIVE IN HOPE KEEP CALM AND KEEP HUNTING

• Like 1