• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

dog wil be fine

thats what i do with mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlsOXv0FBmw

My mates sal/whip/grey was the same.   She just ran alongside quarry. When she did strike it was half hearted and let go.   One day she brought one back to hand and that was it. She was fine eve

A flirt stick is great to teach a dog to strike but your dog already strikes well. You just need some patience. Whenever the dog does hold it 'til you get there give lots of praise.

This kind of dog should the best kind of soft mouth provider of unbruised meat if you handle it right.

• Like 1

Ey up all

So have been out a fair bit with my 18 month saluki x whippet ferreting. She's had a good few runs on rabbits now, upwards of 20. However, though she's managed to catch most of them, she doesn't really strike properly. She'll grab and let go, chase it down again, put her paw on it, and then once it stops moving she just lets it up again etc etc

Anyone any ideas how I can get her more focused and doing the job properly? I'm starting to wonder if she'll get there.

take her ratting a few times or try taking her out with another dog as jelousy sometimes works for the good :thumbs:

encourage it to be hard mouthed,not what id be wanting to do intentialy,id just keep getting it out itl learn

how the fook can this be related to a dog being hard mouth .............if it was foxes preban i can understand..........but not rats

the lad obviously needs to put some hours in with the pup as what should of been done during the dogs younger days..........

It's funny how a little frustrating problem can be a huge despairing problem when it's your own dog. Loads of guys with young dogs will be reading this wishing that's all they had to worry about with their youngsters. It'll. come good, I'd maybe miss out a hunting trip or 2 with it, get some fire in its belly. Give it some hard slips, let it realize it won't catch them all. It'll soon click to bang them and hold on. My old dog was a f****r for catching one, run another with the rabbit in his mouth, trying to stand on the second rabbit to stop it. c**t never out grew that but he was used mostly on hares. They know the difference ;)

It's funny how a little frustrating problem can be a huge despairing problem when it's your own dog. Loads of guys with young dogs will be reading this wishing that's all they had to worry about with their youngsters. It'll. come good, I'd maybe miss out a hunting trip or 2 with it, get some fire in its belly. Give it some hard slips, let it realize it won't catch them all. It'll soon click to bang them and hold on. My old dog was a f****r for catching one, run another with the rabbit in his mouth, trying to stand on the second rabbit to stop it. c**t never out grew that but he was used mostly on hares. They know the difference ;)

they certainly do the same with most other quarry, i can tell by how my dogs are working as to what scent there following, i was reading something the other day on here about 2 dogs on 1 rabbits = ripped up rabbit, mine just double retieve without any tugging and ripping. :hmm: the same with different quarry pre ban dogs would retrive rabbits and hares live but kill fox.rat,mink ect

Ey up all

So have been out a fair bit with my 18 month saluki x whippet ferreting. She's had a good few runs on rabbits now, upwards of 20. However, though she's managed to catch most of them, she doesn't really strike properly. She'll grab and let go, chase it down again, put her paw on it, and then once it stops moving she just lets it up again etc etc

Anyone any ideas how I can get her more focused and doing the job properly? I'm starting to wonder if she'll get there.

it will learn to strike the more it sees /runs