Pure Greyhounds in the field.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

in the early 90s me ,my brother & all our pals were lurcher mad ,we ran a 24" collie/grey x beddy /whippet ,our palls all ran bigger dogs when we were out lamping our little dog hammerd theres rab

Why are you talkin bout whippets unless you mean them real racing whippets which if thats what you mean why in the f**k would you think that would make them less accident prone. Them little sumbitche

Is there a reason that you believe you have to have a "pure dog" in order to start breeding your own lurchers or longdogs yourself?

Rob 190365 I was thinking the same ! You've gotta get some years and experience behind you before you think of breeding your own line !

In my opinion there's plenty of reputable people doing it !

I can see why someone would breed their dogs if they get one that really does the business, but I find it bizarre that someone is thinking about breeding a dog that they've not even got yet! especially one that seemingly has a relative low success rate......I guess it's this sort of mentality why there are quite a lot of lurchers in rescue homes or being passed from pillar to post. I mean, if someone gets a greyhound that is basically useless in the field, but breeds from it anyway, they'll sell the pups and then a generation further along how would anyone know that the original greyhound was a waste of space huntingwise?

• Like 2

in the early 90s me ,my brother & all our pals were lurcher mad ,we ran a 24" collie/grey x beddy /whippet ,our palls all ran bigger dogs when we were out lamping our little dog hammerd theres rabbit wise but fell a little short on hares & roe, lets get a greyhound we decided, after a few enquiries we were to meet a guy at the local dog track (Stanley) on the Saturday morning. he was going to try her once more & if she didn't perform she was ours, well, trap opend ,out came lucy flat out to the first bend were she eased off the gas & cleared the trackside barrier & came straight to us ,that was the start of a real adventure for all of us. lucy was 16 month but had a head years older. I remember watching her trying to negotiate obstacles like wire fences ,hilairios, then after a couple of weeks everything just clicked, she became more like a lurcher than a lurcher, she never looked at any livestock ,could jump like a stag & could run all night & believe me when we were out (that was at least 4 nights a week) it was from dusk till dawn and she never had a shift off through injury, she caught huge amounts of lamped hares & her fair share of daytime ones too, as well of pleanty fox & roe .I realise she was a one off but thought I would share some memories with you.atb

• Like 6

in the early 90s me ,my brother & all our pals were lurcher mad ,we ran a 24" collie/grey x beddy /whippet ,our palls all ran bigger dogs when we were out lamping our little dog hammerd theres rabbit wise but fell a little short on hares & roe, lets get a greyhound we decided, after a few enquiries we were to meet a guy at the local dog track (Stanley) on the Saturday morning. he was going to try her once more & if she didn't perform she was ours, well, trap opend ,out came lucy flat out to the first bend were she eased off the gas & cleared the trackside barrier & came straight to us ,that was the start of a real adventure for all of us. lucy was 16 month but had a head years older. I remember watching her trying to negotiate obstacles like wire fences ,hilairios, then after a couple of weeks everything just clicked, she became more like a lurcher than a lurcher, she never looked at any livestock ,could jump like a stag & could run all night & believe me when we were out (that was at least 4 nights a week) it was from dusk till dawn and she never had a shift off through injury, she caught huge amounts of lamped hares & her fair share of daytime ones too, as well of pleanty fox & roe .I realise she was a one off but thought I would share some memories with you.atb

so this track greyhound was supposed to be in a race but it leapt the fence and came straight to you....as if it knew you were it's destiny? and it never lacked stamina? would run all night and never got injured? ....... I have one question for you.....do you know Mario Balotelli on a personal note? :hmm::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1

Good read that mate.. stanley track eh.. used to love going when i was a kid, just wish it was still there so i could take my boys

rob190364, hi mate just for the record, the bitch was being trialed on the sat morning ,no one on trackside other than me & my mates & as for Mario ballotelli ????????? & the closest she came to being injured was nearly chokeing on the first rabbit she caught & tried to swallow whole. :boogy:

rob190364, hi mate just for the record, the bitch was being trialed on the sat morning ,no one on trackside other than me & my mates & as for Mario ballotelli ????????? & the closest she came to being injured was nearly chokeing on the first rabbit she caught & tried to swallow whole. :boogy:

ah right, ha ha....sorry pal, was just being a fool.

Got any pics?

three quarter greyhound quarter collie. fast and bright. just the ticket :thumbs:

Best all rounder I ever had was a 3/4 bred, could run daytime hares and roe, lamp 30+ rabbits a night and wasn't shy with the things that fought back either, everything was mostly done single handed aswell!! Great cross!!

I meant i havespoken with you a a dog show, we were in a circle and ended up stood next to each other.. good luck, sorry if the post came across the wrong way...

Russ

how romantic......did your hands brush against each others and suddenly everything was moving in slow motion?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

Hahaha, then we kissed, it was passion on another level. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck, it was then i knew, I had found my ideal coursing buddy....

• Like 1

ah right, ha ha....sorry pal, was just being a fool.

Got any pics?

il have a word with my brother mate re photos , remember it was a long time back, I know I said early 90s but may have been late 80s, he may have something one of our kids can put on computer ,atb

You need a minshaw.

100% If future breeding is important

Yes, its a joke that someone would decide the type of dog to get based on its future breeding and salablity of pups.

I hope this was a joke....... :huh:

I dont think it was a joke mate. I think he needs guidance and people to show willing to help him.. Instead of diving on his back and drowning him before he has even got out of the shallow end....