Where and how do you train a lurcher pup

The DVD mentioned above is brill great help,PM Mrpit he'll sort you out with a copy , basic the DVD covers everything , recall,bonding ,walking on lead, retrieving,general obedience,jumping ect great help

My advise regarding training is take your time let the pup be a pup make the training fun and enjoy the exsperiance atb mate JD

Right after having my chuff kicked in by you lovely people, I have gone out and bought myself a new lurcher pup. She is from working stock ( collie x grey x bull). How do I go about training her and working her. Books, any information and place to go? Anything really.

what you want mate is a mentor / someone who you can trust, who already has had lurchers, and who has worked them for a long time and knows the score, theres loads of lads round the barnsley area, its just finding the right person to knock about with, as a starting point what about the person you bought the pup off ?? on the other hand though, they are going to have to be able to trust you too, maybe its not all about what they can do for you, but what you can do to contribute for them :thumbs:

Edited by cocker

theres lots of lads on here who can help you out if things go wrong, 90% of the time they do when bringing pups on lol . If it does just chill out with it, and with the breeding you should be ok , bit of bull and collie + greyhound should make good lurcher :thumbs:

• Like 2

Really do hope so, I really want her to be a working dog, as i have two lurchers already, that have turned into pets, families?? Need a helping hand in the barnsley area really. Need her to work, she looks like she's going to be a big dog or bigger than the other two. So she should be good on rabbit, from what I've read. What's a good diet for her? I know she needs or will need carbs and Protein. But what are the best sources, what do you guys use? I really want to feed her on the things she hopefully will catch, would fish be a god food source?

I really want to feed her on the things she hopefully will catch, would fish be a god food source?

Fish is good - where are you going to be hunting?

:laugh:

Seriously, A bit of fish a few times a week is a good idea (watch for bones). I feed mine a little tinned tuna with mixer every day. Their main meal at night is meat, usually cooked, with mixer. Our butcher does dogmince for 50p a bag - its scraps of normal butchers meat/fat which can't be sold (fallen on the floor etc). :yes: Worth finding a butcher near you who can do the same, because it's a cheap way to feed your dog well. One bag with mixer does a good meal each for my deerhound X lump and my staffie/whippet X.

Other good foods are:

Raw chicken, including the bones. The dog can digest raw bones but not cooked bones.

Rabbit, obviously - the same applies regarding the bones. Last summer my dogs had a few fresh rabbit kills between them, only leaving the stomach. Everything else, fur, teeth bones and innards was eaten and digested. I think you have to watch for tapeworms if you let your dogs eat raw rabbit, but you should be ok as long as it's not a regular year-round thing, and there are no obvious tapeworm cysts and your dog is wormed regularly.

Raw bones.

Raw meat.

Fruit and veg, as long as it's liquidised, but not onions which are poisonous to dogs.

Lightly-boiled nettle-tops are good too, in the summer. They're plentiful, free, full of iron and vit C, and the dogs seem to like them chopped and mixed with their normal food. Make sure they haven't been sprayed with anything - I have loads of organic nettles in my garden which you are welcome to...........

Did I miss anything out?

Someone will be along in a bit to tell me if I did.........

And no tinned rice pudding whatsoever (as I saw someone suggest on here some time ago). It's high in sugar and has no nutritional value at all.

Everyone has their own favourite way of feeding their dogs, and in my experience - whatever anyone may claim, the top dogs, whether working or show all enjoy a good and varied diet.

Edited by Taz-n-Lily