how to get my patterdale to go to ground

Under animale welfare laws you will bring about charges like that. And the hunting act states the dog must be removed and quarry shot, im not saying those methods dont work but i would advise caution or you may end up in court. Personally i give pups a dry run, either try an experienced dog in a drainage pipe and if empty let the young dog follow on the second run, but a lot of dogs will self enter on smelling scent at an earth.

i wouldnt do as the above , some well bred terriers will just take to it like a duck to water ,.........but if i was you i would play it safe as if your entering a pup.........

go out with an exspereinced dog , once you have dug down put a shovel between the exsperienced dog and your quarry , withdraw the exspereienced one and let the dog your entering have a look if he seems keen leave him on a lead and take the shovel away ...................do not let the dog take to much stick ..........you will be able to tell by the dogs reaction if its ready to enter on its own but to be safe i would just show him a few in stop end ........

not only will it educate the dog,.............it will tell you alot ,.........eg if it will sit back and bay .............or if it likes to be up close ...........or it doesnt want to know and comes away

some dogs are not entered properly and people exspect too much from a dog what hasnt seen nothing under your control and gets abit of stick then comes away , then its thought of as useless and the problem may be passed on or shot there and then.............

but they need to be entered gradually and i think you will give any dog a fair chance by doing this ,...............and not throwing them in the deep end and ruining them..............

make sure when your quarry has been humanely dispatched that you give the dog your entering a good rag , make sure the exsperenced dog what has worked your quarry is tied up out the way as for one there wont be no fighting and secondly you will avoid any dominating issues putting the new dog off..........

ive seen dogs enter straight away and done well.........and ive seen them go in take some stick then dont want to know and then there taken out a week later and the owner is wondering why it wont work............

some need time and need to be entered slowly and make usefull tykes but dont just throw a dog in and exspect miracles........because it dont always happen...................

there will probably better advice from better men as i dont work terriers as much as i use too........good luck

very good reply whippet99. the only thing different that we would do is to use a garden fork instead of the spade the young dog can see the quarry and work it without getting too much stick. this is also great for teaching young hounds to mark.
  • Like 2

i wouldnt do as the above , some well bred terriers will just take to it like a duck to water ,.........but if i was you i would play it safe as if your entering a pup.........

go out with an exspereinced dog , once you have dug down put a shovel between the exsperienced dog and your quarry , withdraw the exspereienced one and let the dog your entering have a look if he seems keen leave him on a lead and take the shovel away ...................do not let the dog take to much stick ..........you will be able to tell by the dogs reaction if its ready to enter on its own but to be safe i would just show him a few in stop end ........

not only will it educate the dog,.............it will tell you alot ,.........eg if it will sit back and bay .............or if it likes to be up close ...........or it doesnt want to know and comes away

some dogs are not entered properly and people exspect too much from a dog what hasnt seen nothing under your control and gets abit of stick then comes away , then its thought of as useless and the problem may be passed on or shot there and then.............

but they need to be entered gradually and i think you will give any dog a fair chance by doing this ,...............and not throwing them in the deep end and ruining them..............

make sure when your quarry has been humanely dispatched that you give the dog your entering a good rag , make sure the exsperenced dog what has worked your quarry is tied up out the way as for one there wont be no fighting and secondly you will avoid any dominating issues putting the new dog off..........

ive seen dogs enter straight away and done well.........and ive seen them go in take some stick then dont want to know and then there taken out a week later and the owner is wondering why it wont work............

some need time and need to be entered slowly and make usefull tykes but dont just throw a dog in and exspect miracles........because it dont always happen...................

there will probably better advice from better men as i dont work terriers as much as i use too........good luck

very good reply whippet99. the only thing different that we would do is to use a garden fork instead of the spade the young dog can see the quarry and work it without getting too much stick. this is also great for teaching young hounds to mark.

very good