Which Gun?

I'm planning on getting into shooting, have sent off for my sgc.

Have land to shoot on, open fields, rough grass meadows, patches of woodland, streams, ponds .

This land holds a variety of game including pheasent, partridge, woodcock, duck, geese, hares.

I'm planning on doing abit of rough shooting on this land and was just wondering which gun, you in the know, would reccomend for me?

Cheers all,

DD

honestly have no clue when it comes to guns so not sure as to what would be best? cheaper i can get a gun for, the better however it needs to be a decent enough gun that it can do what i want. im going to go along to a local clay ground t start me off and learn how to shoot properly, just trying to get some advice as to what i should be looking for, cheers

I'd say get yourself down a clay club and try out a few from people of a similar build/size as yourself. Then when you whittle it down to 1 model/maker, spend a grand on it and the rest on getting it fitted properly. This way you should stop the trade in merry-go round that happens when people buy the prettiest gun they can for the money, then wonder why they still can't shoot for sh##. Trust me I have made the same mistake myself!

a 28" barrelled 12 bore from browning, miroku or beretta would be a good start for your budget and game shooting. Maybe go for 30" if you think clays are likely to become your thing.

The thing is with over unders, they are Heavy, great for clay shooting or staying in your hide waiting for pidgeon but you walk round the fields with one all day and you will begin to hate it, personally I use a side by side because they are a lot lighter and a great field gun, if you want to go down the O/U route you might consider a 20 bore and I would definately leave the semi alone until you have experience, they require a bit more thought to make safe and when out in the field climbing fences and jumping ditches accidents can happen.

Get down to your local RFD and try a few, I wouldn't spend £1200 on one for the field though, they get knocked and scratched and you end up scared to put them down.

The thing is with over unders, they are Heavy, great for clay shooting or staying in your hide waiting for pidgeon but you walk round the fields with one all day and you will begin to hate it, personally I use a side by side because they are a lot lighter and a great field gun, if you want to go down the O/U route you might consider a 20 bore and I would definately leave the semi alone until you have experience, they require a bit more thought to make safe and when out in the field climbing fences and jumping ditches accidents can happen.

Get down to your local RFD and try a few, I wouldn't spend £1200 on one for the field though, they get knocked and scratched and you end up scared to put them down.

Sound advice this :thumbs:

you need to be sure of what you're going to use it for. Heavy guns soak up more recoil and you can shoot 150 cartridges through one with out any problems. But like Dedger said just try walking round all day with one, I did and my shoulder was killing me for a couple of days.

Ignore advice off the internet on what brand to buy because some guns fit better than others depending on your shape and I'd steer clear of expensive guns they don't shoot any better than a cheap one.

I've got an Miroku MK70 which is basically a Browning 525. For clay shooting you find that most people go either browning/Miroku or Berretta but I still think that's as much fashion as anything.

Rough shooting you'll want something you don't get upset over if you whack it against a fence post etc. I just bought a SBS for 245 quid which should do me for that.

In the end the fit is more important that the brand.

Also I agree with the comments on Semi's I don't like seeing them at the clay ground because you don't know if the guy holding it is a muppet or not and it's harder to tell if it is empty.

• Like 1