Working Bedlingtons 2005

Can anybody tell me about the Granitor Bedlingtons? I think they may be KC registered, but have heard they are useful for work. I've only cme across the name here and there, but don't know the background or type.

Hello,

Granitor dogs are KC reg and have been around for I would think something like 30 years now. They tend to be small, dogs around 15 inches, bitches 13.5 to 14 inches all with dark coats. The dogs are owned and bred by John Holden in the Manchester area. I have seen 2 or 3 of his dogs work fox and they do not have a reverse gear. I had a dog with Granitor Warrior on both sides of his pedigree, not a great finder in large earths but would draw ever fox he met to ground except his very first one. I am now working a 100% Granitor bitch, 14 inches, blue and tan and she mixes it up abit but luckily does not get damaged like the dog did. There are some photo's of Granitor dogs in 'The Working Bedlington Terrier Year Book 1998' and an article by John in the 1997 edition.

Hunterscliff

my granitor pup has warrior in his pedigree :D

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Hunterscliff,

thanks for that info. I've seen some photos of Granitors working, but couldn't tell much except for the dark colour. Your report is very positive, which is pleasing. I have my eye on that line, and may try to get a dog. There, no doubt, are competing lines to consider as well, but it's not that easy from 12,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

been out today, just to check a field, bring some corn, old bread,.....we went through and get close to cannal, my beddie and my girlfriend westie started to mark, i wasn t sure if there s an earth so i collared my beddie, he crossed several times the water and came back, after few meters away from that point he flu to the bush and disappear in few minutes i heard some noise, and then i saw on the other side of cannal a fox i shot on her, she slow down but still went through the field, i loaded my gun and try to better my position by crossin a hole, i hurt my knee. after few minutes i was able to stand up, i slowly went on the place of shootin, the dog got on trial, we cross the field and came to place with lot of bushes, so i released dog, in 2 minutes the dog find the fox, witch was slowly going straight to me, i shot, the dog was on her in a second and drawn her.

nice day out

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

Edited by matulkoh
I have asked the question before, but as there seem to be some more bedlington fanatics on now, i will askagain.

Do many people rate the JH bred Granitor bred dogs as these are KC bedlingtons? Have many owned and worked them?

Regards Reload

Ive been breeding/showing/working my bedlingtons for about 12 years now, my first Bedlington was a Highquest Bedlington and he went on to gain his working certificate with the national bedlington terrier club, hes still alive now and i can tell you he's one of the most inteligent bedlingtons ive ever met. Most of the Bedlingtons i have now are dual purpose bred, but i aggree that some of the bedlingtons we see in the ring these days could never do the job they where origanly bred for, but sadly this isent just a problem for bedlingtons, look at other breeds like whippets/lakelands/PRT's there is a real show/working devide

I love John Holdens Granitor Bedlingtons, my new puppy dog that im importing from Norway goes back to a bitch called Granitor Victoria that was exported to Sweden years ago.

what are bedlingtons like with kids? are certain strains more tolerant than others? my reason for asking is im thinking about getting one for my 6 year old daughter, i want something to be a companion for her but something i wont be imbarresed about walking, are their any problems associated with the working strains ( i know the kc strain suffer from copper toxosis ), how much would i expect to pay for one? and my last question so i stop chewing your ears off is their any litters ready mid march. thanks for any help.

timmy i have always found bedlingtons to be very good with kids, i ve got rillington bedlys and they have always been as good as gold but all my dogs have been ok as they have always had kids around them

cheers topper, whats the difference between the different strains, do some go to ground more readily than others, got 2 lurchers and would like to work a beddy with them just bushing and going to ground when the oppertunity arises, but its still a dog for the kids honest :D:D

As It was my birthday today (21 again) I treated myself to a half day off work.

Decided to go for a mooch down by the river.

Chased a some bunnies and a few feral moggies around for a bit when I came across a two holer under bush. Spike was having a good old sniff as we approched it and as we got closer I could smell the unmistakeable whiff of Charlie.

The pup was going mental , digging at the entrance and generally getting more exited than he would do for a rabbit or a rat.

Outside the hole was a freshly killed bird, poss Curlew, not sure.

The pup was just aboiut to dissapear out of sight when I grabbed his tail and pulled him out.

He was none too pleased but I thought it was for the best as hes only 8 months old, and although he's a strong terrier for that age, I'm only too aware of the pitfalls of letting them go too early.

I'm sure there was a fox at home, possibly a vixen with cubs. I stood there for ages , weighing it up, - looked like a shallow hole, in sandy soil - what could go wrong?

But at the same time I'm thinking, - what if he gets a kicking? He might be fvcked for the future.

Anyway, I sticks the bugger back on the lead and walked away. Tell me I did the right thing :yes:

Heres a few pics from this afternoon.

Is anyone doing much at the monent with the Beddies? Even Swanseajack has gone quiet.

you did right david with the sand soil etc you may have had a tunnel collapse if you had gone equipt for a dig now thats a different ball game you could have got to the dog quickly and that could have been the start of great things but personaly i would hold him back until 12-14 months but well done to the dog he s keen thats half the battle :clapper:

[well timmy i would suggest you get yourself a bedly pup of good breeding [working lines] and bring it up with the kids you should have no problem then, i always encourage the kids to get involved with the dogs and take an interest in the working side, my daughter done a speech to the school on why hunting with dogs should not be banned, at the start 85% were in favour of the ban after her speech had educatded them only 15% still favoured the ban according to her head it was the best speech he had ever heard and it had changed his veiws on hunting, shes now studying law at bridgewater collage and is doing a simlar thing there which should be interesting

• Like 2
what are bedlingtons like with kids? are certain strains more tolerant than others? my reason for asking is im thinking about getting one for my 6 year old daughter, i want something to be a companion for her but something i wont be imbarresed about walking, are their any problems associated with the working strains ( i know the kc strain suffer from copper toxosis ), how much would i expect to pay for one? and my last question so i stop chewing your ears off is their any litters ready mid march. thanks for any help.

I breed and show Bedlingtons, and my 3 daughters aged 6,7 and 11 do junour handling and YKC my eldist is handling at crufts on Saturday. Bedlingtons are great with kids but make sure you buy from a breeder that breeds for temprement and health.

I did have a problem Bedlington a couple of years ago, he was a liver Bedlington and came from a working kennel in south wales, he was lovely with the kids and us but at 7 months old when he went in for a fight he could write the book on it. Sadly i had to return him to his breeder as i couldent take the risk with him.

Have a look at my web site www.dodgewells.co.uk my daughter is on there handling our bedlingtons

Ive not had alot of experience of colours in Bedlingtons but i know that blue's are very nice natured and blue and tans are fantastic, i think livers maybe the same as the red gene they can be a bit firery

thanks for the replys, ive read most of this topic and read through all my books and old edrd and asked around a few knowledgable terrier/ lurcher men, and ive decided to go for something with rillington blood in does anyone know of any litters

thanks for the replys, ive read most of this topic and read through all my books and old edrd and asked around a few knowledgable terrier/ lurcher men, and ive decided to go for something with rillington blood in does anyone know of any litters

there was pup advertised in last weeks countrymans weekly

rillington strain