bull x whippet

lakeland92

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 2, litter siblings. Dam Bull, Sire 3/4 whip x 1/4 grey ( Non ped scratch whippet ' Bigland Boy '           Like I've said before, they have their faults but they'll do for me

best thing i did was make a trip for this dog. i bought it as my lads first dog when my boy was 13. midnight off here bred him. a little toppa he has being.

dam whippet bull grey sire jp whippet bull 22 tts 19mth

Posted Images

Antg its your dog I was talking to midnight about the english bull crosses he's thinking of breeding next year and he showed me a pic of the above dog he's a stunner and he said that its the kind of thing he's after just with a english bull head

Will you not be limiting yourself with such a cross ? Fair enough if your ok with that and have a specific quarry in mind for such a lurcher or have other dogs for other jobs. I got into lurchers for one quarry and now get on everything as luckily the breeding I went for is able to do so.

Not knocking bull whips, my bitch is a 1/4 bull 1/4 whip 1/2 grey but she's 26" and can tackle anything.

Your right, they do excel at a specific job, however, I do a lot of mooching and within the pack there are racier and larger, sharper dogs. I always have 2 main working dogs, one large one small and I have recently added my bull x whippet as my small dog is starting to slow a bit on a full days graft. I have up till now had collie x's, and the last two have added terrier into the mix (bedlington in one and bull in the other). this appears to have taken of the manic/obsessive/sensitive edges that can come with the collie x's. I chose a bull/whippet this time around purely because I wanted a smaller dog that can hack it when the chips are down.

If I only had one dog, it would not be such a heavily bull based lurcher.

Will you not be limiting yourself with such a cross ? Fair enough if your ok with that and have a specific quarry in mind for such a lurcher or have other dogs for other jobs. I got into lurchers for one quarry and now get on everything as luckily the breeding I went for is able to do so.

Not knocking bull whips, my bitch is a 1/4 bull 1/4 whip 1/2 grey but she's 26" and can tackle anything.

Your right, they do excel at a specific job, however, I do a lot of mooching and within the pack there are racier and larger, sharper dogs. I always have 2 main working dogs, one large one small and I have recently added my bull x whippet as my small dog is starting to slow a bit on a full days graft. I have up till now had collie x's, and the last two have added terrier into the mix (bedlington in one and bull in the other). this appears to have taken of the manic/obsessive/sensitive edges that can come with the collie x's. I chose a bull/whippet this time around purely because I wanted a smaller dog that can hack it when the chips are down.

How do you find the bull crosses compare to the collie crosses?

I was considering a collie cross next time around I my booked pup doesn't go to plan (deer/collie/grey) but I've been told so many times about the sensitive and obsessive nature that I'm considering changing plan all together and looking at bull. Maybe a 3/4 bull 1/4 grey or a bull/grey x whippet but I fear a bitch of the latter breeding could be too small. I would want 24" minimum really.

Gaz

theres a serious looking blue bull x whippet on here i think the guys name is blackstaff on this . worth a look

Im out with Blackstaff and the dog in question regularly. He was bred by Blackstaff, a grew over his staff bitch and both he and his litter sister do all thats asked of them

I was considering a collie cross next time around I my booked pup doesn't go to plan (deer/collie/grey) but I've been told so many times about the sensitive and obsessive nature that I'm considering changing plan all together and looking at bull. Maybe a 3/4 bull 1/4 grey or a bull/grey x whippet but I fear a bitch of the latter breeding could be too small. I would want 24" minimum really.

Gaz

The negative collie traits dont always show through. And to be honest, mostly they are not an issue for the dog, but you have to be honest about your own personality and how you would work around and with them. If i was in need of another larger dog that can handle a bit of everything, I would have another colliexbull lurcher again.

Not knocking the bigger bull x's, just like a bit of collie.

Gaz the bitch I kept out of my litter bull/whippet/grey is 24 and the thing with size is it does not always have to be massive to do the job run mine with any dog size and shape u want bet u 6-7 times out of 10 she would beat the other dog to the chosen quarry atb rj

Gaz

The negative collie traits dont always show through. And to be honest, mostly they are not an issue for the dog, but you have to be honest about your own personality and how you would work around and with them. If i was in need of another larger dog that can handle a bit of everything, I would have another colliexbull lurcher again.

Not knocking the bigger bull x's, just like a bit of collie.

Ok thanks mate. Ive got plenty of time to think :thumbs:

Surely whatever breeding you decide to do or take on you must always look for worst case scenario in physique and character ? In my limited experience in training Bull X's I have found they are very headstrong when they want to be and will walk all over you given any opportunity. Can be as stubborn as your Mrs when you've had a row and obviously the tenacity isn't always such a good thing. Not the most intelligent of breeds but can and will think eventually ! Not always great around other dogs and tend not to back out of any situation and also not to scared of cover. It's nice to see your dogs smash into cover but worries me every time I watch them do it. Rabbits will sometimes come back a little bit like jelly from the soft mouth of the Bull side but this will come into it's own if you go to Ireland on the reds.

BUT they are as loyal as the day is long, will turn their hand to anything given the opportunity and normally be pretty good, take a knock or 3 without having to be laid up for weeks, aim and fire them no matter the size and they'll give it 100% I also personally like that they want to work for you rather than themselves, not all the time but a very good majority of it.

Surely whatever breeding you decide to do or take on you must always look for worst case scenario in physique and character ? In my limited experience in training Bull X's I have found they are very headstrong when they want to be and will walk all over you given any opportunity. Can be as stubborn as your Mrs when you've had a row and obviously the tenacity isn't always such a good thing. Not the most intelligent of breeds but can and will think eventually ! Not always great around other dogs and tend not to back out of any situation and also not to scared of cover. It's nice to see your dogs smash into cover but worries me every time I watch them do it. Rabbits will sometimes come back a little bit like jelly from the soft mouth of the Bull side but this will come into it's own if you go to Ireland on the reds.

BUT they are as loyal as the day is long, will turn their hand to anything given the opportunity and normally be pretty good, take a knock or 3 without having to be laid up for weeks, aim and fire them no matter the size and they'll give it 100% I also personally like that they want to work for you rather than themselves, not all the time but a very good majority of it.

absolutley agree with u hit the nail on the head 100% plenty of eyes shut moments with them but u have to stand and think how many more meals they put on the table for just doing what they do? Atb rj

That's a very good summary of a breed. Cheers!

Archived